Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Boosting Speeds

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

Virgin Boosting Speeds

Old 24-05-2023, 14:05   #136
roughbeast
cf.mega poster

Services: Vodafone/City Fibre Gigafast 900
roughbeast has reached the bronze age
roughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze age
Re: Virgin Boosting Speeds

Quote:
Originally Posted by roughbeast View Post
Great news to see 100Mb downstream going live as we speak. However, this will not attract me back from Vodafone/CityFibre 900. As I type, I have 10 clients using my free Plex server peaking around 110Mb upstream.
Whoops! Just spotted my own error from a couple of days ago. Too late to edit. I meant 100Mb upstream.
roughbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 24-05-2023, 14:43   #137
bigsinky
cf.addict

Services: Broadband Gig1
bigsinky is on a distinguished roadbigsinky is on a distinguished road

its actually 104mbit

---------- Post added at 14:43 ---------- Previous post was at 14:42 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by demoulous View Post
It's not the download speed that's the issue, its that they all suck over here for uploads. All the new AltNet FTTP providers in the mainland seem to offer 1000/1000 or 500/500 (down & up) .

I mean I'm happy that we finally have 100 up on the gig package now, but I'd love for them to get off their arses and wire up more than Magheralin for FTTP.
yes. they seem to be surprising slow in rural areas. but if you look at the stats NI has per head of population some of the fastest connections in the UK
bigsinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2023, 09:19   #138
Gavin-D
cf.mega poster

Gavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these parts

Virgin Media has been named the fastest UK broadband company for both download and upload performance by analyst firm Umlaut

BT came second with Vodafone 3rd, EE 4th, TalkTalk 5th, Sky 6th and Plusnet 7th
Gavin-D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2023, 10:17   #139
humey
cf.member

humey will become famous soon enoughhumey will become famous soon enoughhumey will become famous soon enough

It is officially 100Mb/s but due to Ofcom you get 10% extra that does not make my tier the 1.1Gbs/110Mbs Tier.
humey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2023, 00:51   #140
Chrysalis
cf.mega poster

Services: Gig1, Hub 5
Chrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronze
Chrysalis is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by humey View Post
It is officially 100Mb/s but due to Ofcom you get 10% extra that does not make my tier the 1.1Gbs/110Mbs Tier.
Not sure how VM are going to handle this officially on the product spec, they released a press statement, which after a push from Mark at dslreview admitted its going to take up to 6 months for everyone to get it.

So far its starting to look the entirety of Leicestershire (not just the city) doesnt have it, thats quite a big area if its going to have an official product spec of 100mbit upload, is reports from Derby, Portsmouth and Telford as well I have seen but not sure if those are as widespread.

Wouldnt surprise me if they just kept it as 50mbit upload in the t&c until everywhere is done. Maybe also postcode checker to give different result based on which VM area you in.

Last edited by Chrysalis; 27-05-2023 at 00:54.
Chrysalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2023, 17:19   #141
trublue
cf.addict

Services: Ultimate Volt
trublue is an unknown quantity at this point

I am on 350Mb's but got the bump to 500 due to my volt package.Will I get the upgrade to my upload speed?
trublue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2023, 18:33   #142
Gavin-D
cf.mega poster

Gavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by trublue View Post
I am on 350Mb's but got the bump to 500 due to my volt package.Will I get the upgrade to my upload speed?
Yes. You will go to 52 Mbps
Gavin-D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2023, 22:01   #143
trublue
cf.addict

Services: Ultimate Volt
trublue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavin-D View Post
Yes. You will go to 52 Mbps
Thanks very much👍
trublue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2023, 10:17   #144
telfordcable
cf.mega poster

Services: 5G Three 599/21
telfordcable has upset the applecarttelfordcable has upset the applecarttelfordcable has upset the applecarttelfordcable has upset the applecarttelfordcable has upset the applecarttelfordcable has upset the applecarttelfordcable has upset the applecarttelfordcable has upset the applecarttelfordcable has upset the applecarttelfordcable has upset the applecarttelfordcable has upset the applecarttelfordcable has upset the applecarttelfordcable has upset the applecarttelfordcable has upset the applecarttelfordcable has upset the applecarttelfordcable has upset the applecart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavin-D View Post
Virgin Media has been named the fastest UK broadband company for both download and upload performance by analyst firm Umlaut

BT came second with Vodafone 3rd, EE 4th, TalkTalk 5th, Sky 6th and Plusnet 7th
Pointless and worthless Umlaut.

vodafone seem much better overall.

telfordcable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2023, 04:56   #145
humey
cf.member

humey will become famous soon enoughhumey will become famous soon enoughhumey will become famous soon enough

<removed>

Last edited by Paul; 14-06-2023 at 23:49. Reason: Another post like that and you'll be gone.
humey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2023, 06:09   #146
bbxxl
cf.addict

bbxxl is just really nicebbxxl is just really nicebbxxl is just really nicebbxxl is just really nicebbxxl is just really nicebbxxl is just really nice

Vodafone upload is good but download is only half of Virgin.
bbxxl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2023, 10:14   #147
roughbeast
cf.mega poster

roughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbxxl View Post
Vodafone upload is good but download is only half of Virgin.
Are you sure? Perhaps I am misunderstanding you. I constantly get well over 900Mb up and downstream on Vodafone. Ping is consistently 6ms.

https://1drv.ms/i/s!AhlpLoG7kfyGqedt...Uei3A?e=hFRBsb
Old 14-06-2023, 10:21   #148
bbxxl
cf.addict

bbxxl is just really nicebbxxl is just really nicebbxxl is just really nicebbxxl is just really nicebbxxl is just really nicebbxxl is just really nice

I was just going by the screenshot provided.
Old 14-06-2023, 11:21   #149
roughbeast
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbxxl View Post
I was just going by the screenshot provided.
By who?
Old 14-06-2023, 11:40   #150
bbxxl
cf.addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by roughbeast View Post
By who?
Post #144 in this thread about Vodafone speed.