Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Freeview changes

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Alternatives to Virgin Media > Freesat & Freeview

Freeview changes

Old 19-03-2022, 23:12   #316
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

cheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quads
Re: Freeview changes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Media Boy UK View Post
I think Freesports will go after Ideal World Extra slot - if it has stop broadcasting.

---------- Post added at 19:06 ---------- Previous post was at 18:51 ----------

Here is the up to date list of space on Freeview being unused.

24 hours slots:
-Old 5Select slot on COM4
-Old Create and Craft Extra slot on COM4
-Old RT slot on COM6
-Old Ideal World Extra slot on Local Mux

Part time slots:
-Smithsonian Channel slot on COM5 (11pm to 3am only)
-Together TV slot on COM5 (12am to 3am only)
-Ideal World slot on COM6 (12am to 7am only)
-Jewellery Maker/PBS slot on COM5 (5am to 8am only)

All information right as of March 19th.

All following Channels are set to close/or move to other streams on Freeview by June 2022.

SD:

-FreeSports
-Quest Red+1
-Now 80s
-More4+1
-PBS America+1
-That's TV (UK)
-Forces TV

HD:

-Quest HD
-BBC NEWS HD
-BBC FOUR HD
-CBeebies HD

Plus W and Talk TV is set to launch soon on Freeview.

So I think a following may happen (My own views):
-FreeSports will move to Local Mux
-W will launch on COM4 or reuse Drama +1 or Dave Ja Vu slot.
-TalkTV will launch on COM4
-NOW 80s will move to COM6
-Forces TV may move to COM4 if UKTV reuse sister channel (as listed on this post) slot to launch W.

I think That's TV will stay on Freeview but only on Channel 7/8 (Line up is the same as That's TV UK anyway.)

I think it safe to say the following is set to close on Freeview

-Quest Red+1
-More4+1
-PBS America+1
-That's TV (UK)
-Forces TV - may happen up to what UKTV do.
-Quest HD
-BBC NEWS HD
-BBC FOUR HD
-CBeebies HD
I was thinking same re: FreeSports after I learned of Local mux happening today. I think they ceased FreeSat transmission to save the pennies for DTT, hoping some opportunity would present itself. I doubt the Local mux was on their radar, I think it's an opportunity that may have only just presented itself, assuming it's not really technical difficulties (I doubt it is, I just don't think there was an appropriate slate available).

UKTV have a history of replacing +1s with new FTA launches, so W will replace Dave Ja Vu since it's most prominent and its demographic is more likely to use On-demand rather than a +1.

That's TV UK is on one of the Freeview IP portal services I seem to recall, so it will still be available on Smart TVs, not just Local Mux variant.

I'm not sure if Forces TV will make the transition after closure, they may move onto an IP Portal.

I wouldn't be surprised is Now Music took the remainder of the Ideal World slot overnight as it wouldn't suit many channels.
cheekyangus is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 20-03-2022, 01:02   #317
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheekyangus View Post
I was thinking same re: FreeSports after I learned of Local mux happening today. I think they ceased FreeSat transmission to save the pennies for DTT, hoping some opportunity would present itself. I doubt the Local mux was on their radar, I think it's an opportunity that may have only just presented itself, assuming it's not really technical difficulties (I doubt it is, I just don't think there was an appropriate slate available).

UKTV have a history of replacing +1s with new FTA launches, so W will replace Dave Ja Vu since it's most prominent and its demographic is more likely to use On-demand rather than a +1.

That's TV UK is on one of the Freeview IP portal services I seem to recall, so it will still be available on Smart TVs, not just Local Mux variant.

I'm not sure if Forces TV will make the transition after closure, they may move onto an IP Portal.

I wouldn't be surprised is Now Music took the remainder of the Ideal World slot overnight as it wouldn't suit many channels.
Apparently, when the mux that provides regionalisation for the PSB's has been rebuilt, it"s believed that there will be room for an extra HD channel. It's thought that this will be used for BBC News or BBC4. BBC4 would be better (unless they have plans to close it now with the new TVL freeze), as BBC News is available in HD for much of the time anyway when it simulcasts with BBC1 & BBC2.

Freesports initially said that they wouldn't be joining Freeview because it was too expensive, but then the much cheaper temporary Com muxes became available. Unless they have now become really successful, I can't see them being able to afford a 'proper' slot that's available.

If it could go onto all the local muxes, this would broadly be the same number of potential viewers as Com 7.

If it has to come off Freeview, I wonder if it might return to Freesat to help to replace their lost viewers (especially now that Freesat has a new charging structure)??

The other option is for them to remain on Freeview via streaming, but I imagine that a lot of people don't bother with this option for various reasons. It will help now that streaming channels are allowed to have their own EPG slot.

Last edited by RichardCoulter; 20-03-2022 at 01:05.
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2022, 02:34   #318
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

cheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
Apparently, when the mux that provides regionalisation for the PSB's has been rebuilt, it"s believed that there will be room for an extra HD channel. It's thought that this will be used for BBC News or BBC4. BBC4 would be better (unless they have plans to close it now with the new TVL freeze), as BBC News is available in HD for much of the time anyway when it simulcasts with BBC1 & BBC2.
What I find a little bizarre when most people on various forums talk about this is they always only mention BBC4, and ,more recently, almost always mention its possible closure. And yet they never mention CBeebies HD which BBC4 HD shares with. CBeebies is a significant ratings winner for the BBC, extremely highly regarded, and often outrates BBC4. And it's extremely important that the BBC keep catering for the youngest of demographics.
Quote:
Freesports initially said that they wouldn't be joining Freeview because it was too expensive, but then the much cheaper temporary Com muxes became available. Unless they have now become really successful, I can't see them being able to afford a 'proper' slot that's available.
Many channels have went on Freeview without being successful beforehand. Freeview is the biggest platform by far, so just being on a main mux can be enough to give a significant boost to keep them there once on it. As they say, you have to spend money to make money.

Quote:
If it could go onto all the local muxes, this would broadly be the same number of potential viewers as Com 7.
All the Local muxes carry the same channels except for the Local channel itself. So it's either on all the Local muxes or none. (I'm not counting the NI and Manchester muxes as Local muxes, those are different beasts.)

Quote:
If it has to come off Freeview, I wonder if it might return to Freesat to help to replace their lost viewers (especially now that Freesat has a new charging structure)??
COM7 even with its limited geographic coverage and DVB-T2 only tuner availability probably still is on significantly more screens than via Freesat boxes. If it can't find a way to stay on DTT I have no doubt it'll return to Freesat, but I think it came off mainly to save money to fund future options on DTT, with a "wait and see approach" to see what possibilities may crop up as they wait for COM7's inevitable closure.

Quote:
The other option is for them to remain on Freeview via streaming, but I imagine that a lot of people don't bother with this option for various reasons. It will help now that streaming channels are allowed to have their own EPG slot.
Streaming channels have been allowed their own EPG slot for years in the Ch260-upwards range. Most of the streaming services on Freeview are presented as part of a portal partner rather than individual channel numbers, but there has been an option of an individual listing for some time even if few have chosen to do so. Current examples of streamed channels with EPG slots that aren't part of portals are Sonlife Ch 263 and Arise News Ch 269. Most Freeview streamed channels clearly prefer the portal route, I'm guessing as it's cheaper to pay a partner (i.e. the portal operator) than paying for the individual EPG slot.

The change that happened amongst the recent(ish) consultation was that broadcasters with a Freeview Play app will be able to add IP-only channels to the Freeview channel list between Ch300 and Ch599.

It's not clear to me what this gives over what is currently available via the Ch260-range streamed channels. My only guess is that broadcasters can bulk-add channels they already stream via their own apps, and this would work out cheaper and more convenient.

Last edited by cheekyangus; 20-03-2022 at 02:38.
Old 21-03-2022, 14:12   #319
Media Boy UK
Also on X (Twitter)

Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars
Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars

UKTV Channel changes from March 28th:

25. W (New Channel)
74. Dave ja vu (Moving from Channel 25)

74. Drama +1 to close on Freeview.

Sources: RXTV and Advanced Television

https://advanced-television.com/2022...vs-w-goes-fta/

https://rxtvinfo.com/2022/freeview-c...fle-as-w-joins

---------- Post added at 13:12 ---------- Previous post was at 12:19 ----------

Media Boy UK sources says "UKTV eventually want all their channels FTA and on Freeview, plans are already in action to get Alibi and GOLD FTA and on Freeview, the general feeling is EDEN will be scrapped and morphed into yesterday."
Got inside news but can't post it - PM me with info
Media Boy UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2022, 14:51   #320
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Media Boy UK sources says "UKTV eventually want all their channels FTA and on Freeview, plans are already in action to get Alibi and GOLD FTA and on Freeview, the general feeling is EDEN will be scrapped and morphed into yesterday."
Makes sense. I can see a situation where channels are either FTA or sold directly as part of a streaming pack. The UKTV channels aren't strong enough to be a stand-alone streaming service themselves so logic dictates they go FTA.
1andrew1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2022, 14:58   #321
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

Quote:

25. W (New Channel)
74. Dave ja vu (Moving from Channel 25)

74. Drama +1 to close on Freeview.

Sources: RXTV and Advanced Television

https://advanced-television.com/2022...vs-w-goes-fta/

On-screen message now on Ch25 confirms this officially.
Old 22-03-2022, 13:59   #322
Media Boy UK
Also on X (Twitter)

Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars
Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars

UKTV buy Freeview slot from ITV?

RXTV is reporting that Drama +1 is set to move to Channel 60 from Monday.

ITV4 +1 is broadcasting on Channel 60 right now.
Old 22-03-2022, 14:02   #323
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

Quote:
UKTV buy Freeview slot from ITV?

RXTV is reporting that Drama +1 is set to move to Channel 60 from Monday.

ITV4 +1 is broadcasting on Channel 60 right now.
Just beat me to it

No indication if they using the slot or just the number, they may pair it with space elsewhere.
Old 22-03-2022, 14:24   #324
Media Boy UK
Also on X (Twitter)

Quote:
Just beat me to it

No indication if they using the slot or just the number, they may pair it with space elsewhere.
Maybe my source was right yesterday when I was told:

Quote:
Dave Ja Vu - Alibi?
Drama +1 - GOLD?

---------- Post added at 13:24 ---------- Previous post was at 13:11 ----------

More Freeview channels happening on Monday:

-ITV4+1 stays on Freeview but move to channel 89.

-S4C HD & Channel 4 HD swap places in Wales

-Ideal Extra has close on the local TV multiplex (ch. 94).

-Drama+1, Together TV & Xpanded TV are all earmarked for 'change in coverage'.

Source: a516digital.

https://twitter.com/a516digital/stat...58476569346053
Old 22-03-2022, 14:34   #325
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Maybe my source was right yesterday when I was told:

Dave Ja Vu - Alibi?
Drama +1 - GOLD?

---------- Post added at 13:24 ---------- Previous post was at 13:11 ----------

More Freeview channels happening on Monday:

-ITV4+1 stays on Freeview but move to channel 89.

-S4C HD & Channel 4 HD swap places in Wales

-Ideal Extra has close on the local TV multiplex (ch. 94).

-Drama+1, Together TV & Xpanded TV are all earmarked for 'change in coverage'.

Source: a516digital.

https://twitter.com/a516digital/stat...58476569346053
Official source confirmation
https://www.freeview.co.uk/channel-c...-28-march-2022

What’s changing
New Channel Launches
Channel Name - Channel Number

W Ch25

Asharq News - Ch272

Al Arabiya - Ch273

Channel Number Changes
Channel Name - New Channel Number

Dave Ja Vu - Ch74

Drama +1 - Ch60

ITV4 + 1 - Ch89

S4CHD - Ch104 C4 HD Ch110 (Wales only)

Changes to coverage

Together TV Ch83

Drama +1 - Ch60

Adult Xpanded TV - Ch678

Channel Closures

Ideal Extra - Ch94
Old 22-03-2022, 14:43   #326
Media Boy UK
Also on X (Twitter)

Quote:
Official source confirmation
https://www.freeview.co.uk/channel-c...-28-march-2022

What’s changing
New Channel Launches

W Ch25

Asharq News - Ch272

Al Arabiya - Ch273

Channel Number Changes

Dave Ja Vu - Ch74

Drama +1 - Ch60

ITV4 + 1 - Ch89

S4CHD - Ch104 C4 HD Ch110 (Wales only)

Changes to coverage

Together TV Ch83

Drama +1 - Ch60

Adult Xpanded TV - Ch678

Channel Closures

Ideal Extra - Ch94
I think I know what is set to happen on Monday:

Together TV - may move from COM5 to Local Mux.

Drama +1 - may move from COM4 to COM5 using Together TV slot

Adult Xpanded TV - may move from COM5 to COM6 to start timeshire with Ideal World.

Last edited by Media Boy UK; 22-03-2022 at 14:53.
Old 22-03-2022, 17:06   #327
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

Quote:
I think I know what is set to happen on Monday:

Together TV - may move from COM5 to Local Mux.

Drama +1 - may move from COM4 to COM5 using Together TV slot

Adult Xpanded TV - may move from COM5 to COM6 to start timeshire with Ideal World.
Yeah, I agree. That's what I was thinking.

Suspect the gifted slot for Together TV was looking exceedingly generous with COM7 closing soon.
Old 22-03-2022, 17:18   #328
Media Boy UK
Also on X (Twitter)

Quote:
Yeah, I agree. That's what I was thinking.

Suspect the gifted slot for Together TV was looking exceedingly generous with COM7 closing soon.
Early on I did think of Adult Xpanded TV moving to Local Mux to timeshare with Together TV - but then I think no Adult channel can broadcast on Local Mux.

Then the wee bit later I did think a extra slot maybe added to Local mux for Drama +1

Then I started to think the way I posted on my last post.
Old 22-03-2022, 17:54   #329
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Early on I did think of Adult Xpanded TV moving to Local Mux to timeshare with Together TV - but then I think no Adult channel can broadcast on Local Mux.

Then the wee bit later I did think a extra slot maybe added to Local mux for Drama +1

Then I started to think the way I posted on my last post.
I thought that too at first, but I quickly thought otherwise as it's not a "can it", more a why would Xpanded want to when there's multiple alternative late/early slots.

There's no space for more streams on the Local mux I've read multiple times recently. The Great! family of channels on the Local mux all got their picture resolution dropped when the stream for Ideal Extra was added. Comux would've added another stream at the same time if it was viable. When SDN/COM4 added the 17th and 18th streams they were clearly prepared for at the same time as they were added within 2 months of each other.
Old 24-03-2022, 01:01   #330
Media Boy UK
Also on X (Twitter)

Here is the up to date list of space on Freeview being unused.

24 hours slots:
-Old 5Select slot on COM4
-Old Create and Craft Extra slot on COM4
-Old RT slot on COM6
-Old Ideal World Extra slot on Local Mux
-Old RT HD slot on COM7

Part time slots:
-Smithsonian Channel slot on COM5 (3am to 7am only) - From March 28th.
-Ideal World slot on COM6 (12am to 7am only)
-Jewellery Maker/PBS slot on COM5 (5am to 8am only)

All information right as of March 24th.

All following Channels are set to close/or move to other streams on Freeview by July 2022.

SD:

FreeSports
Quest Red+1
Now 80s
More4+1
PBS America+1
That's TV (UK)
Forces TV

HD:

Quest HD
BBC NEWS HD
BBC FOUR HD
CBeebies HD

Plus Talk TV is set to launch soon on Freeview.

Set to happen on March 28th?
Together TV will move to LTV Mux
Drama +1 will launch on COM5
Adult Xpanded TV will move to COM6 to timeshare with Ideal World

So I think a following may happen (My own views):
TalkTV will launch on COM4
NOW 80s will move to COM6
Forces TV may move to COM4

I think That's TV will stay on Freeview but only on Channel 7/8 and via IPTV (Line up is the same as That's TV UK anyway.)

I think it safe to say the following is set to close on Freeview:

Quest Red+1
More4+1
PBS America+1
That's TV (UK)
Forces TV
Quest HD
BBC NEWS HD
BBC FOUR HD
CBeebies HD

What’s changing from March 28th:

New Channel Launches

W - Ch25
Asharq News - Ch272
Al Arabiya - Ch273

Channel Number Changes

Dave Ja Vu - Ch74
Drama +1 - Ch60
ITV4 + 1 - Ch89

Channel Number Changes

S4CHD - Ch104 (Wales only)
CH4 HD - Ch110 (Wales only)

Changes to coverage

Together TV - Ch83

Need to retune after Midday on Monday to carry on Watching

Drama +1 - Ch60
Adult Xpanded TV - Ch678

Channel Closures (On Freeview)

Ideal Extra - Ch94

All information is right as of March 24th.