Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | [GUIDE] Dir-615 to dd-wrt

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking

[GUIDE] Dir-615 to dd-wrt

Old 02-11-2010, 15:54   #196
snowy!
Inactive

snowy! is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: [GUIDE] Dir-615 to dd-wrt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acathla View Post
Just wondering, I've upgraded my DIR-615 D4 to the firmware on there, all is working well - actually really well http://www.speedtest.net/result/1014090376.png - and I was about to update to a newer firmware but really, are there any advantages?

Of course stability might become an issue, it's only been about 30 minutes since I upgraded to DD-WRT, but unless that happens I'm tempted to avoid upgrading and enjoy some speed for a change.

Thanks.
snowy! is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 02-11-2010, 16:27   #197
mjpartyboy
Inactive

mjpartyboy is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowy! View Post
stability might become an issue, it's only been about 30 minutes since I upgraded to DD-WRT
I used to always use the scheduled reboot feature, but when I last updated the build I turned it off and the router was stable for nearly two weeks constant up-time, which is when I upgraded the firmware.
mjpartyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 01:22   #198
inneedofhelp
Inactive

inneedofhelp will become famous soon enoughinneedofhelp will become famous soon enoughinneedofhelp will become famous soon enough

Apologies if this is too much of a tangent, but can anyone give any pointers as to the best settings for Virgin Media (E.g. what to do about QoS) or are the defaults fine?
inneedofhelp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 01:48   #199
Chrysalis
cf.mega poster

Services: Gig1, Hub 5
Chrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronze
Chrysalis is cast in bronze

the average user has no need to play with QoS, that more depends on what your household does eg. if you have kids using p2p a lot you can use QoS to make p2p lower priority, however I would expect QoS to only be effective on uploading.
Chrysalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 18:49   #200
chambohambo
cf.addict

chambohambo is an unknown quantity at this point

Latest version

06-11-10-r15693

ftp://dd-wrt.com/others/eko/BrainSlayer-V24-preSP2/
chambohambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 13:53   #201
mjpartyboy
Inactive

I'm very happy with build 15506, so will not be changing for a while.
Old 07-11-2010, 15:55   #202
sbg
Inactive

sbg is an unknown quantity at this point

Im pulling my hair out with this router. I have the 50 meg virgin connection when running through the router I dont get the full 50 meg speed through my newsgroups but doing a speedtest Im getting the full 50, ok so running direct to network card im getting full 50 through newsgroups. I upgraded to this firmware hoping this would help but still the same, get about 20 - 24 meg through router when raping the newsgroups, im sure its some sort of porting issue or perhaps something in win7 I really dont know! Tryed disabling wireless , still the same. Any ideas would be appreciated, thanks
sbg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 16:31   #203
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

Since you seem to have just proved its not the router, you would be better starting your own thread.

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 19:42   #204
Jayster
I am the one who knocks

Services: 200/20 SH3, V6 Box
Jayster is a splendid one to beholdJayster is a splendid one to beholdJayster is a splendid one to beholdJayster is a splendid one to beholdJayster is a splendid one to beholdJayster is a splendid one to beholdJayster is a splendid one to beholdJayster is a splendid one to beholdJayster is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrysalis View Post
the average user has no need to play with QoS, that more depends on what your household does eg. if you have kids using p2p a lot you can use QoS to make p2p lower priority, however I would expect QoS to only be effective on uploading.
Yep you really don't want to touch QoS unless you are prepared to put everything in a priority or else they get a 2nd grade service (at least in my experience).
Jayster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 16:45   #205
rocklobster
Inactive

rocklobster is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all,

I've been running various versions of dd-wrt on my 615 for a month or so now, and while I like the control it gives, I just find it unstable :-(

iplayer appears to be a common thing to kill it. Last night it rebooted several times for no obvious reason. Also, it seems to have much worse performance via wireless.

I'm trying build 15506 for now, and will see how it goes but if it's no better I'd like to stick the dlink firmware (4.11?) or even the VM fw back on it - the reason I originally went down the dd-wrt route was for some diag work I was doing. No real need for it now (particularly as it seems unreliable). I see some people suggest a nightly reboot etc - that's not really an option (and wasn't ever needed before).

So, I've tried the VM image from dlink that was linked to from this thread, and I've tried the latest D build from dlink (4.11). Neither will load both say it's not a valid image for this router or something similar. I've tried installing by holding down reset while powering it on and then using the recovery interface - no joy.

Am I missing something here? Do I have to binary edit the file to get it to load?

Any clues on how the hell I revert this to the stock firmware!? I can find plenty of guides for sticking dd-wrt onto the thing, but not a lot for someone wanting to move back...
rocklobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 17:12   #206
mjpartyboy
Inactive

I've always used the Emergency Room whenever I've gone back to D-Link firmware from DD-WRT and never had any problems.

Edit: D-Link's own firmware isn't without its faults. I've had it stop giving me an open NAT when no settings have been changed and have had to power cycle the router on a number of occasions to fix performance issues. The recent DD-WRT builds have been very stable for me and haven't required any power cycles or scheduled reboots to maintain a solid performance.
Old 08-11-2010, 20:14   #207
rocklobster
Inactive

rocklobster is an unknown quantity at this point

ok, as I say, I've just moved to 15506 so will see how that goes. I'm away on a course next week so really want a stable connection at home! dd-wrt has just been so unreliable :-(

No idea why I can't put the old firmware back :-( It fails every time. Oh well, fingers crossed...
rocklobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 22:35   #208
chambohambo
cf.addict

chambohambo is an unknown quantity at this point

Latest version

09-11-10-r15704

ftp://dd-wrt.com/others/eko/BrainSlayer-V24-preSP2/
chambohambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 23:32   #209
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

Do these releases have release notes ? If they do they are well hidden.

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 11:02   #210
mjpartyboy
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul M View Post
Do these releases have release notes ? If they do they are well hidden.
They don't come with release notes. The best you can do is decipher the timeline:

http://svn.dd-wrt.com:8000/dd-wrt/timeline