Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Video Playback Question

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Science & Technology

Video Playback Question

Old 26-05-2023, 10:14   #1
Corey N Georgie
cf.addict

Services: 1GB Volt, Telephone all Inclusive.
Corey N Georgie is a jewel in the roughCorey N Georgie is a jewel in the roughCorey N Georgie is a jewel in the roughCorey N Georgie is a jewel in the roughCorey N Georgie is a jewel in the rough
Video Playback Question

I have a video file from a few years ago when dad was alive but when I attempt to play back it has a few flaws where it jumps and pixelates.

Is there anyway of trying to repair this?

I know its not the codec itself I have tried VLC player to.

The file is an MP4.
Corey N Georgie is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 26-05-2023, 10:16   #2
Jaymoss
Just a Geek

Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal
Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal
Re: Video Playback Question

Does it flaw at the same places on all media players?
Old 26-05-2023, 11:04   #3
Taf
cf.mega poster

Services: TVXL BBXL Superhub 2ac (wired) 1Tb Tivo
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star

"Create a copy of the original MP4 or MOV files and change the file format to AVI by renaming the video file.

Launch the VLC player and select "Tool > Preferences > Input or Codecs".

Select "Always fix". Click on "Save" in the bottom section of the "Preferences" window."
Taf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2023, 11:11   #4
Corey N Georgie
cf.addict

Corey N Georgie is a jewel in the roughCorey N Georgie is a jewel in the roughCorey N Georgie is a jewel in the roughCorey N Georgie is a jewel in the roughCorey N Georgie is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymoss View Post
Does it flaw at the same places on all media players?
Yes in all media players.

---------- Post added at 10:11 ---------- Previous post was at 10:10 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taf View Post
"Create a copy of the original MP4 or MOV files and change the file format to AVI by renaming the video file.

Launch the VLC player and select "Tool > Preferences > Input or Codecs".

Select "Always fix". Click on "Save" in the bottom section of the "Preferences" window."
Did this and still the same.
Old 26-05-2023, 11:40   #5
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey N Georgie View Post
I have a video file from a few years ago when dad was alive but when I attempt to play back it has a few flaws where it jumps and pixelates.

Is there anyway of trying to repair this?

I know its not the codec itself I have tried VLC player to.

The file is an MP4.
Do you know what the video was originally recorded on? It sounds to me like it may have been on tape (maybe Digi-8 or mini DV, both were popular in the early 2000s before SD cards became practical). An imperfection in a tape recording medium, or the camera being jolted during recording, would cause these symptoms.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2023, 11:49   #6
Jaymoss
Just a Geek

Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal

Yeah as Chris says as it is happening at the same spots it seems the corruption was prior to the capture (assuming it was captured)
Old 26-05-2023, 12:30   #7
Corey N Georgie
cf.addict

It was recorded onto an SD card on a digital Camcorder.
Old 26-05-2023, 13:05   #8
nomadking
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media TV&BB 350Mb, V6 STB
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array

Might be useful to track the website of the camcorder and check file formats. There seems to be video repair software out there.
nomadking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2023, 18:47   #9
Corey N Georgie
cf.addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomadking View Post
Might be useful to track the website of the camcorder and check file formats. There seems to be video repair software out there.
I cant remember exactly what camcorder it was, the video was taken at a party.

I know there are a lot of programs out there that claim to repair but I'm just wondering if anyone can recommend.
Old 26-05-2023, 21:44   #10
Jaymoss
Just a Geek

Is the file on the SD card the same as you are viewing or is it the one you are viewing?
Old 27-05-2023, 09:02   #11
Corey N Georgie
cf.addict

Quote:
Is the file on the SD card the same as you are viewing or is it the one you are viewing?
The file was transferred to a DVD after it was taken, the person recorded it about 4 years ago is also no longer alive.
Old 27-05-2023, 09:53   #12
Jaymoss
Just a Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey N Georgie View Post
The file was transferred to a DVD after it was taken, the person recorded it about 4 years ago is also no longer alive.
so do you still have the sd card?
Old 27-05-2023, 10:21   #13
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny stars

Look at the Meta data I might say what it was recorded on.

Right click the file and select properties, scroll through the information.
Old 27-05-2023, 10:37   #14
Corey N Georgie
cf.addict

Quote:
so do you still have the sd card?
No, The guy transferred it to a DVD for us after he recorded it.

He kept the SD Card in his camcorder.

---------- Post added at 09:37 ---------- Previous post was at 09:37 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hom3r View Post
Look at the Meta data I might say what it was recorded on.

Right click the file and select properties, scroll through the information.
No Meta Data.