Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Why, Why is Christmas Tv so crap

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Entertainment > Television
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Why, Why is Christmas Tv so crap

Old 27-12-2011, 13:28   #1
Arthurgray50@blu
cf.mega poster

Arthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appeal
Arthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appeal
Why, Why is Christmas Tv so crap

Is it me or what, l found the Xmas entertainment from all the broadcasters a load of rubbish.

Repeats, repeats, and even a new series by David Jason was well below par, especially for David.

The only show that l watched was Downton Abbey.

If the broadcasters cannot come up with anything better, next year l will go somewhere else for entertainment.
Arthurgray50@blu is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 27-12-2011, 13:30   #2
martyh

Services: Sky Q silver bundle Sky Q 2TB box Sky Q mini box Sky fibre unlimited Sky Talk evenings and week
Re: Why, Why is Christmas Tv so crap

where you going to go arthur if all the broardcasters are rubbish
Old 27-12-2011, 13:35   #3
chris9991
Inactive

chris9991 has a brilliant futurechris9991 has a brilliant futurechris9991 has a brilliant futurechris9991 has a brilliant futurechris9991 has a brilliant futurechris9991 has a brilliant futurechris9991 has a brilliant futurechris9991 has a brilliant futurechris9991 has a brilliant futurechris9991 has a brilliant futurechris9991 has a brilliant futurechris9991 has a brilliant future

Is Christmas TV really that bad? I only watch one or two programmes, rest of the time I'm doing other things
chris9991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2011, 13:38   #4
martyh

Services: Sky Q silver bundle Sky Q 2TB box Sky Q mini box Sky fibre unlimited Sky Talk evenings and week

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris9991 View Post
Is Christmas TV really that bad? I only watch one or two programmes, rest of the time I'm doing other things
That's why christmas tv is so bad ,because people are usually doing other things so not worth the cost of producing new shows that people will not watch because they are doing christmassy things
Old 27-12-2011, 13:41   #5
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

When l am watching TV l am usually watching something that l have recorded on the Tivo box that way l can watch what l want to watch and at a time that is convenient to me.
Old 27-12-2011, 13:46   #6
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder....
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2011, 13:52   #7
MadGamer
Eva Longoria Fan

Services: Sky multiroom (Sky Q) Sky Fibre Unlimited Sky Landline
MadGamer has a nice shiny star
MadGamer has a nice shiny starMadGamer has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
When l am watching TV l am usually watching something that l have recorded on the Tivo box that way l can watch what l want to watch and at a time that is convenient to me.
Same with me, I set my Sky+HD box to record what I want to watch then I watch it when all the other rubbish is on, along with any DVD's I have
MadGamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2011, 14:12   #8
m8internet
Inactive

m8internet is an unknown quantity at this point

Ironic isn't it
It's the entertainment industry, yet they too have to have their holiday
So a skeleton staff are left to push the "start" button as few times as possible

From memory there was a TV channel last year that had made an error and for about 20 minutes nothing was being aired

It was fairly similar with live broadcasts on Christmas Day, routine during the 80s and 90s, these have almost ceased now
m8internet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2011, 14:13   #9
Peter_
Permanently Banned

Services: Samsung V+ XL TV XL Phone 30Mb Superhub Samsung Galaxy 3 32GB sd card In a world of no buffering!
Peter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered stars
Peter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered stars

It is a Christmas Tradition that all the Major Networks abide by and thus we are deluged with a lot of tosh and many repeats, this has happened for as many years as I remember and some networks stick so hard to the rules that they forget to include programmes associated with Christmas.

Crap Christmas Television is a proud National Tradition and long may it survive as we need something to hand down to the future generations, where else could you see such a crap classic as Dad's Army on a Bank Holiday.

Peter_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2011, 14:14   #10
devilincarnate
Still REIGNING

devilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny star
devilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny star

I think that the broadcasters realise that people have kids and that is why there are a lot of kids programmes on? Also the single people are normally out having a good time. This is my opinion as I do not think that I have watched anything but kids programmes this festive period ( as withe the previous ones )?
devilincarnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2011, 14:23   #11
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars

Once upon a time Christmas was a major event for the TV companies, mostly before the age of satellite that increased choice and spread the audience too far. There was the big Christmas family movie premiere, the comedy specials, and the soap disaster. These days we've mostly seen the movies on Sky or rented the DVD, there are no really big audience comdies like Only Fools, and we've all got rather bored with Eastenders characters having yet another miserable event.

I used to spend a lot of time tr4ying to work out how to squeeze the Christmas TV schedule onto one VCP. These days despite TV allowing me to record 3 things at once, I struggled to find even one thing worth the effort
MovedGoalPosts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2011, 20:15   #12
Mick Fisher
Inactive

Services: Sky Unlimited FibrePro Sky Talk Sky+HD
Mick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze array
Mick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze array

Holidays are regarded by TV channels as a big opportunity to save money by showing a deluge repeats, prehistoric movies and Best Of compilations.
Mick Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2011, 20:41   #13
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team

Services: VM XL TV,50 MB VM BB,VM landline, Tivo
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura

They just go through the motions.It's the ads that make them money not the programmes.
Old 28-12-2011, 00:18   #14
m8internet
Inactive

m8internet is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggy J View Post
It's the ads that make them money not the programmes
Not sure about that
On Christmas Day there were a few adverts for sales starting on Boxing Day
However Asda aired an advert on Boxing Day for Christmas!
I even noted the expiry date at the end of the advert "Offer ends when stores close on 24 December 2011"
Looks like they paid for an entire date range, a rather unusual mistake
m8internet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2011, 08:32   #15
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggy J View Post
They just go through the motions.It's the ads that make them money not the programmes.
But if no one watches the programmes, no one is watching the ads.....
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote