Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | The energy crisis

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs
Register FAQ Community Calendar

The energy crisis

Old 02-10-2022, 19:19   #1426
Taf
cf.mega poster

Services: TVXL BBXL Superhub 2ac (wired) 1Tb Tivo
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Re: The energy crisis

I've finally been able to give Scottish Power my meter readings after starting Friday evening.
Taf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 02-10-2022, 19:52   #1427
Kursk
-.- ..- .-. ... -.-

Kursk has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
Difference being I don’t have the ability/stupidity to make the Nation’s Pension Schemes illiquid, requiring the BoE to intervene at a cost of £5 billion per day

So, we’re agreed that the Chancellor knew he could cause the Pension Schemes to go illiquid, and raise the cost of borrowing for the money to pay for the extra he was giving bankers and those earning over £155k?

Doesn’t sound very clever…

Addendum: I don’t trust Energy/Telecoms companies billing systems, having spent a reasonable proportion of my working life implementing/fixing them - in fact, my one of my last jobs before retiring was as the Head of Programmes on Billing Remediation in one of the Big Six Energy companies (my teams had to fix whatever cock-ups the new releases caused, and there were new releases monthly).

So, to set your mind at rest, I take readings from our Smart Meters on the 25th of each month (billing day), the next day I download the PDF bills and store those, and every quarter I review what I have stored against what the Utility Companies say (because, from previous experience, I have seen historical bills amended on systems), and if there are issues, I will highlight those with the Supplier (I haven’t found any with ShellEnergy).
Well, according to the paper, the BoE (and the Pensions Regulator) have allowed the UK’s largest company pension schemes to engage in dangerous investment strategies for some time and it was this that was really responsible for the near collapse.

I share your mistrust of energy companies. You do seem to be a high consumer though.
Kursk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2022, 19:58   #1428
GrimUpNorth
cf.mega poster

GrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny star
GrimUpNorth has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taf View Post
I've finally been able to give Scottish Power my meter readings after starting Friday evening.
Same here, took a couple of days to log in. Last week they suggested we raise the DD to £272 from £262 (which I did) and today they're suggesting it should be £271 (which I didn't do).

My understanding is Scottish Power will be paying the £400 by monthly refunds to our bank, so by this time next year we'll be paying the wrong side of £300 per month as we're the best part of £450 in credit.
GrimUpNorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2022, 00:31   #1429
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

@ Hugh.

I thought of you yesterday whilst researching ways to cut down on energy use. It said that turning off the radiators in unused bedrooms and keeping the door closed will help to cut costs.

It also said to lower the radiators in other rooms and only keep the main room (usually the living room) at a decent temperature and keeping the door closed.

The thing is, isn't the whole point of central heating to be able to have the house warm and being able to not bother about closing the inner doors?

As do that, we might as well turn off the central heating completely and go back to the days of gathering round the gas fire!!

I do think it's worth closing your unused bedroom doors though.
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2022, 11:20   #1430
Taf
cf.mega poster

Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
@ Hugh.

I thought of you yesterday whilst researching ways to cut down on energy use. It said that turning off the radiators in unused bedrooms and keeping the door closed will help to cut costs..
In our household, once the heating is activated, if you go through a door, you shut it behind you. Turning off radiators is not the best idea. If you have TRVs (thermostatic radiator valves) turn them down low, even to the frost protection level, to stop them freezing.

Warm, humid air entering a cold room will soon cause damp and mould.

Our heating during the coldest periods of the year, comes on for 2 hours before we get up, then runs until midday when it goes off for an hour whilst we are cooking with a window open to let the damp air out. It then runs again until it's time to cook the evening meal. And no heating after 9pm, so the choice is to put on a jumper or get under your quilt.
Old 03-10-2022, 13:11   #1431
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
'Significant risk' of UK gas supply emergency, energy regulator warns

The information, which was revealed in a letter sent from Ofgem last week and first revealed by The Times, spoke of the possibility of "gas supply emergency" measures to help preserve stocks due to the impact of Russia's war in Ukraine which has starved Europe of its main source of natural gas.

A gas supply emergency can be declared when suppliers are unable to safely get gas to homes and businesses.

It could mean that some customers, starting with the largest industrial consumers, will be asked to stop using gas for a temporary period.

The aim would be to keep gas and gas-generated electricity supplies stable for households for as long as possible.

Sky News was expecting a statement from Ofgem to clarify its official position.
https://www.msn.com/en-gb/money/news...db643147b46892
1andrew1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2022, 14:00   #1432
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

In a positive note, it could reduce our domestic Gas bills…

(apologies if I pre-empted OB’s post)
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2022, 14:08   #1433
Jaymoss
Just a Geek

Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal
Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
In a positive note, it could reduce our domestic Gas bills…

(apologies if I pre-empted OB’s post)
still get screwed by the standing charges. What's the chances we get a refund when they can not supply us
Old 03-10-2022, 15:52   #1434
jonbxx
cf.mega poster

Services: VM VIP Pack
jonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appeal
jonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taf View Post
In our household, once the heating is activated, if you go through a door, you shut it behind you. Turning off radiators is not the best idea. If you have TRVs (thermostatic radiator valves) turn them down low, even to the frost protection level, to stop them freezing.

Warm, humid air entering a cold room will soon cause damp and mould.

Our heating during the coldest periods of the year, comes on for 2 hours before we get up, then runs until midday when it goes off for an hour whilst we are cooking with a window open to let the damp air out. It then runs again until it's time to cook the evening meal. And no heating after 9pm, so the choice is to put on a jumper or get under your quilt.
Our house, an ex-1930s council house had terrible condensation issues in the winter so we did similar, opening the windows. Last year, we got a dehumidifier and it has transformed things. We don’t need to have the windows open and the house is quicker to heat. We also noticed that we didn’t need the heating in during the day last winter.

I think it’s a combination of dry air ‘feeling’ warmer, dry air being quicker to heat and not wasting heating power evaporating water.
jonbxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2022, 18:58   #1435
Taf
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonbxx View Post
Last year, we got a dehumidifier and it has transformed things.
The "waste" of a dehumidifier is not just a bowl of water, but actual HEAT! In a previous home, the only time the corridor got warm during the winter was when the (borrowed) dehumidifier was running.
Old 03-10-2022, 19:05   #1436
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

Do dehumidifiers cost a lot to run?
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2022, 19:12   #1437
Mad Max
cf.mega poster

Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array
Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array

https://www.idealhome.co.uk/property...idifier-298272
Mad Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2022, 19:28   #1438
Jaymoss
Just a Geek

Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
Do dehumidifiers cost a lot to run?
It will have the wattage on it. It is a very easy mathematical equation.

Watts x hours used / 1000 x Unit Rate of Electricity round up for inefficiencies
Old 03-10-2022, 19:40   #1439
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymoss View Post
It will have the wattage on it. It is a very easy mathematical equation.

Watts x hours used / 1000 x Unit Rate of Electricity round up for inefficiencies
But that doesn't allow for the heat recovered
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2022, 19:47   #1440
Jaymoss
Just a Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderplant View Post
But that doesn't allow for the heat recovered

It is all close enough. I went round most of my kit measuring usage from the plug and measuring from the specs and my estimates are pretty damn close month to month and year to year