Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | The energy crisis

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs
Register FAQ Community Calendar

The energy crisis

Old 30-11-2022, 11:29   #1756
Ms NTL
cf.geek

Ms NTL is the helpful oneMs NTL is the helpful oneMs NTL is the helpful oneMs NTL is the helpful oneMs NTL is the helpful oneMs NTL is the helpful oneMs NTL is the helpful oneMs NTL is the helpful oneMs NTL is the helpful oneMs NTL is the helpful oneMs NTL is the helpful oneMs NTL is the helpful oneMs NTL is the helpful oneMs NTL is the helpful oneMs NTL is the helpful oneMs NTL is the helpful oneMs NTL is the helpful oneMs NTL is the helpful one
Re: The energy crisis

We had a 4 hour black out (or a local problem) this morning. How did they get my mobile number to text me?
Quote:

SSEN: Good Morning. This is a message from Paul at SSEN. We are pro-actively contacting you to let you know that we are aware of an unplanned power cut in your area. We are arranging a team of engineers to come out to get your power back on and at this stage we're aiming to do that by 08:30. If you require any additional support, please don't hesitate to call us on 105 or message us on WhatsApp https://wa.me/447342028546

SSEN: Good Morning. This is a message from Paul at SSEN. We are pro-actively contacting you to let you know that we are aware of an unplanned power cut in your area which may be affecting you. We are arranging a team of engineers to come out to get your power back on and at this stage we're aiming to do that by EIGHT THIRTY A M. We will keep you updated until your power is back on. If you require any additional support, please don't hesitate to call us on one zero five.

SSEN: We believe your power is now restored.

We're not expecting any further issues, however, if your power isn't restored or you lose power again, please contact us. We're very sorry for any disruption this has caused and thank you for your patience and understanding.
Ms NTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 30-11-2022, 12:05   #1757
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms NTL View Post
How did they get my mobile number to text me?
I get those messages on my work phone (which I have previously used to report power outages) but not my personal one
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2022, 12:39   #1758
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms NTL View Post
We had a 4 hour black out (or a local problem) this morning. How did they get my mobile number to text me?
Would your energy provider have passed it on as part of their contract with your local energy infrastructure owner? It's not marketing, it's a service text message.
1andrew1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2022, 13:11   #1759
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post
Would your energy provider have passed it on as part of their contract with your local energy infrastructure owner? It's not marketing, it's a service text message.
Definitely not what happened in my case, as Mrs P is the account holder, not me.
Old 30-11-2022, 13:16   #1760
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderplant View Post
Definitely not what happened in my case, as Mrs P is the account holder, not me.
So maybe it's geographical then via your phone provider as part of essential emergency information?
1andrew1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2022, 13:19   #1761
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post
So maybe it's geographical then via your phone provider as part of essential emergency information?
Nope, because my personal phone doesn't get them
Old 30-11-2022, 13:35   #1762
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

They have probably requested mobile numbers where necessary to fill in gaps in their records. If you’ve previously called your DNO then they will have your number on file, if you haven’t, they have most likely filled in the gap with data from the supplier who controls your meter.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2022, 15:37   #1763
Chrysalis
cf.mega poster

Services: Gig1, Hub 5
Chrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronze
Chrysalis is cast in bronze

I believe if you on the priority register it might be passed on so you get alerts.
Chrysalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2022, 17:24   #1764
Ms NTL
cf.geek

Ms NTL is the helpful oneMs NTL is the helpful oneMs NTL is the helpful oneMs NTL is the helpful oneMs NTL is the helpful oneMs NTL is the helpful oneMs NTL is the helpful oneMs NTL is the helpful oneMs NTL is the helpful oneMs NTL is the helpful oneMs NTL is the helpful oneMs NTL is the helpful oneMs NTL is the helpful oneMs NTL is the helpful oneMs NTL is the helpful oneMs NTL is the helpful oneMs NTL is the helpful oneMs NTL is the helpful one

The smart meter has a battery that notified them of the power cut. My smart meter is associated with my mobile number and thus the text. I had forgotten that I gave the mobile number to the installer.
Ms NTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2022, 07:42   #1765
Tinky
To err is human

Services: yearly MOT
Tinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny stars
Tinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny stars

Octopus want to lower our monthly payment from £136.18 to £120.32 and we are in credit by £481.60. We're staying safe and keeping things as they are, we don't want any nasty shocks.
Tinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2022, 07:56   #1766
Jaymoss
Just a Geek

Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal
Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinky View Post
Octopus want to lower our monthly payment from £136.18 to £120.32 and we are in credit by £481.60. We're staying safe and keeping things as they are, we don't want any nasty shocks.
I have pulled £40 out of mine for some extra spends. I am not expecting to get the WHD this year due to the changes even though I have had it every other year but I have run an estimated budget for April with energy increases and the new ESA rates and I am ok
Old 01-12-2022, 14:08   #1767
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Thats a lot of your money they have.

I switched to Variable DD, which means they just work out my bill each month (around the 21st) and then debit that amount two weeks later.

I keep my money (and interest) until its needed.

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2022, 14:30   #1768
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

Quote:
You might have a nasty shock if Octopus went bust with your money !
Mr K is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2022, 15:02   #1769
Jaymoss
Just a Geek

Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal
Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr K View Post
You might have a nasty shock if Octopus went bust with your money !
why it is all protected and has been across all the suppliers gone bust over the last few years
Old 01-12-2022, 18:52   #1770
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymoss View Post
why it is all protected and has been across all the suppliers gone bust over the last few years
Getting you final bill and any credit transferring to a new supplier can take several months after a collapse ( I know!)
Best not to build up hundreds of pounds of credit, it's not for your benefit.
Mr K is online now   Reply With Quote