Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Dropped Wireless Connection

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Dropped Wireless Connection

Old 02-08-2005, 21:35   #1
DaveJH
Inactive

Services: NTL Family Package Free SKY Sports Package!! 2MB Broadband Pace STB
DaveJH is an unknown quantity at this point
Dropped Wireless Connection

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone has come across a similar problem or know's how to resolve it? The problem is when ever I use the wireless connection on my router after a few hours (3 hours sometimes longer) the connection drops(unable to get net access or the router homepage), though the PC does not say there is no network connection. At this point I have to turn the router off for a couple of minutes and then reboot both PC's (Laptop and Desktop). When I use the wired connection so far I have not lost the connection once.

The router I have is a Netgear WGT624, PC using a Netgear wireless card and the laptop using a wireless intel centrino card. Both machines are running win xp (sp2) and the router is using DHCP to assign IP addresses to both machines.

I've looked throgh some of the posts on the forum and read some p2p program can cause problems due to high demands on the network, don't know if this is true or not but even without using any I still seem to find the connection drops.

Sorry for the long post, but this problem is driving me crazy almost at the point of buying a 30m cable!!! Any help or ideas would be greatly appreicated.

Thanks,
DaveJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 02-08-2005, 21:48   #2
nffc
cf.mega poster

Services: Freeview, Sky+, 100 Mb/s VM BB, mega i7 PC, iPhone 13, Macbook Air
nffc has a nice shiny star
nffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny star
Re: Dropped Wireless Connection

What's the signal strength like- preferably the SNR. Also try and keep the antenna away from cables and metal and make sure there's no water tanks or a silly number of walls in between your router and PCs.

nffc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2005, 21:59   #3
DaveJH
Inactive

Router is sitting on a cabnet above the TV, PC's are in the room above. Single strength is always either v.good or execellent, don't think it is the signal strength as I have even lost the connection when left the laptop in the same room as the router.

Normally when the connection drops I can still see the network however when I try and reconnect without resetting the router is just says "Acquiring Network Address" and is at this point where it seems to struggle!
Old 02-08-2005, 22:06   #4
Raistlin
Inactive

Services: Depends on the person and the price they're offering
Raistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered stars
Raistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered stars

Have a look in your router's setup options and look for an option to change the channel (usually numbered from 1 through to 10/11).

Make a note of what the default setting is and then work out which would be the furthest channel from the default that you could change it to.

For example. if the default is 7 and you have channels 1-10, the furthest would be channel 1.

Change to that channel, power off the router and the computer.

Power the router up and wait for the lights to settle, now power up the computer, let the HDD activity light settle and then log in.

Establish the wireless connection and go about your normal business

With a bit of luck this should sort things out, not sure how but it worked for me. My router's a Linksys one, I had nothing but trouble for the first day or so - then I changed the channel and everything's been fine for the last 9 months

Might also want to check that you haven't got any cordless phones or other sources of interference about as well
Raistlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2005, 22:15   #5
DaveJH
Inactive

Cheers mate,

I'll give that ago, only issue is that the router supports 108mbps using whats known as "Super G" but this mode can only be used on channel 6. Saying that it only works with the machine using the netgear card and there is no advantage for just one machine over 54mbps.

Anyway will give it ago, will change to channel 11.

Thanks.
Old 02-08-2005, 22:30   #6
Raistlin
Inactive

Services: Depends on the person and the price they're offering
Raistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered stars
Raistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered stars

NP, let us know how you get on
Raistlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2005, 06:07   #7
DaveJH
Inactive

Raistlin,

Just thought I'd let you know and for anyone else having the same problem, by changing the channel that the wireless router my connection has been fine for over a day now. I have not been too demanding on the network so will now try using p2p. will keep you all posted.

thanks again.
Old 04-08-2005, 08:06   #8
etccarmageddon
Inactive

etccarmageddon has a nice shiny star
etccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny star

could it be the router is pants - if it's still in the guarantee period are you able to take it back and replace it with a linksys? I keep hearing people slag off netgear routers.
etccarmageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2005, 06:18   #9
DaveJH
Inactive

Right after 2 days without any problems (only browsing webpages) with my wireless connection I decieded it was time to try runnig 'Bitlord' and literally within 30secs of the programme being open the both computers lost connection to the Internet/network. At this point I had to reset the router and both pc's before being able to connect to the network again.

When using a wired connection I can run bitlord without any problems what so ever. Could this be a problem with the router, or more likely some settings either with the wireless setup or bitlord??

Any help, ideas would be gratefully appreciated.

Thanks
Old 05-08-2005, 08:10   #10
jonbr
Inactive

Services: DTV (Sky+), DTV (VM), phone, 4Mb BB (wireless)
jonbr is an unknown quantity at this point

Have you checked the Netgear web site. Look under support for an FAQ.
I had a similar problem with my Linksys router when I fisrt got it, the Linksys FAQ pointed me to a Windows configuration change which cured it for me.
jonbr is offline   Reply With Quote