Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Sky TV across a network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Sky TV across a network.

Old 19-07-2005, 22:20   #1
mick70
Inactive

Services: 2 mb
mick70 will become famous soon enoughmick70 will become famous soon enoughmick70 will become famous soon enough
Smile Sky TV across a network.

A possible project at work is looming, can anyone shed any light on a solution?

A tv "sky news" live feed needs to be distributed from one point across a network of computers (win 98) to be viewed. The actual viewing screens are in elevators in a tall building.
My company will be doing the work but I bet you lot can enlighten me on how they will do it. As always, thanks in advance for any help/comments/insults!!
mick70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 19-07-2005, 22:42   #2
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Re: Sky TV across a network.

Technically, this should be fairly easy to do. However, I should point out that unless you have permission from Sky for viewing their channels on commercial premises, then you will be breaking the law.

Assuming you have permission, and assuming you have network connections at all the points you will be having monitors, then it is quite easy.

You connect a sky digibox to a PC with a TV card. This PC runs Windows Media Encoder, which is used to send the Windows Media encoded transmission to a Windows 2000 Server machine, running Windows Media Services. This server will broadcast the data it recieves from the Windows Media Encoder.

If you are using less than 50 machines, you can possibly skip the Windows Media Server and just attach straight to the Encoder. The advantage of going through the Windows Media Server is that the amount of users you can have is limited only by the speed of the network. You could, in theory, have 1000s of users attached to one Windows Media Server. In fact , when I was learning to use Windows Media Server, running on a Pentium II 266, I used the User simulator you get with the Windows Media Software Developer's kit, and was able to get 1,200 simulated users to access the broadcast. The only reason I couldn't go further is that doing this flooded the network connection on the machine running the simulator. The server did not appear to be under strain at all.
Windows Media Player on each machine can then connect to the broadcast coming from the the Windows Media Server.
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2005, 23:07   #3
Gareth
cf.mega poster

Gareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny stars
Gareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny stars

Yep, Stu C is right, we did a very similar thing at ACN during the World Cup. We had it displayed on a widescreen telly in the restaurant, and also broadcast it across the entire office, so people could watch it via WMP from their desk
Gareth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2005, 00:49   #4
Tristan
Inactive

Services: Telewest DTV & 4Meg BB (Bath), NTL DTV and 2Meg BB (Poole)
Tristan has reached the bronze age
Tristan has reached the bronze ageTristan has reached the bronze ageTristan has reached the bronze ageTristan has reached the bronze ageTristan has reached the bronze ageTristan has reached the bronze ageTristan has reached the bronze ageTristan has reached the bronze ageTristan has reached the bronze ageTristan has reached the bronze ageTristan has reached the bronze ageTristan has reached the bronze ageTristan has reached the bronze ageTristan has reached the bronze ageTristan has reached the bronze ageTristan has reached the bronze ageTristan has reached the bronze ageTristan has reached the bronze ageTristan has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick70
A possible project at work is looming, can anyone shed any light on a solution?

A tv "sky news" live feed needs to be distributed from one point across a network of computers (win 98) to be viewed. The actual viewing screens are in elevators in a tall building.
My company will be doing the work but I bet you lot can enlighten me on how they will do it. As always, thanks in advance for any help/comments/insults!!
Just really want to echo what Stuart said. It's pretty easy to do -- stick a TV card in a PC, then use something like Windows Media Encoder (if it's a Windows box) or MEncoder (if it's a Linux box) to stream it in a format that the other computers will understand.

The problem is that you could technically be considered to be rebroadcasting the signal, which would be illegal. However, from a practical point of view, so long as it's strictly on the display machines only (i.e. ordinary workers couldn't bring up a stream on their desktop) then it's not really any different to using a coax/amp system to pump the TV signal around the building, which would be perfectly legal...
Tristan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2005, 10:02   #5
mick70
Inactive

Services: 2 mb
mick70 will become famous soon enoughmick70 will become famous soon enoughmick70 will become famous soon enough
Smile Re: Sky TV across a network.

Thanks for all your feedback.
mick70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2005, 11:10   #6
zoombini
Inactive

Services: I no longer receive cable services, I blame the inept accounts dept for that.
zoombini has reached the bronze age
zoombini has reached the bronze agezoombini has reached the bronze agezoombini has reached the bronze agezoombini has reached the bronze agezoombini has reached the bronze agezoombini has reached the bronze agezoombini has reached the bronze agezoombini has reached the bronze age

And don't forget your TV license too.
zoombini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2005, 11:32   #7
altis
cf.mega poster

altis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny star
altis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny star

And if you are 'Micro$oft Averse' then you could also check out VideoLAN which is and Open Software project to do this very thing:

http://www.videolan.org/
altis is offline   Reply With Quote