Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | PC refuses to connect to my wifi network...

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

PC refuses to connect to my wifi network...

Old 27-05-2009, 20:37   #1
meld51
Inactive

meld51 is on a distinguished roadmeld51 is on a distinguished road
PC refuses to connect to my wifi network...

Hello,

One of my PCs refuses to connect to my wifi network...
Instead I get a message that says:
"Windows was unable to find a certificate to log you onto the network"

The PC runs XP home, fully up to date
My Router is a Belkin "n" type using WEP encryption
I have several PCs on this network and the one in question has been fine for a couple of years...

So what do you think is upset? I'm foxed right now!!
meld51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 27-05-2009, 22:04   #2
Callumpy
cf.mega poster

Callumpy has a brilliant futureCallumpy has a brilliant futureCallumpy has a brilliant futureCallumpy has a brilliant futureCallumpy has a brilliant futureCallumpy has a brilliant futureCallumpy has a brilliant futureCallumpy has a brilliant futureCallumpy has a brilliant futureCallumpy has a brilliant futureCallumpy has a brilliant futureCallumpy has a brilliant future
Re: PC refuses to connect to my wifi network...

Do you use software to connect or do you use the windows stuff?
Callumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2009, 09:10   #3
Aragorn
Inactive

Aragorn has a nice shiny star
Aragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny star

Are you sure it's trying to connect to 'your' wireless?
The reference to certificates sounds more like the PC is trying to connect to a network secured with WPA using Radius key exchange.
I would say either it's connecting to the wrong network or it thinks your network is using radius.
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2009, 19:46   #4
meld51
Inactive

Hello Callumpy
I use the Windows Stuff
Hello Aragorn son of Arathorn
I have solved my prob. I was trying to connect to my own network for sure and I was using WEP but for some reason best known to itself, the "Authentication " tick box in the settings became ticked when it should have been unticked. Don't know what that does, but unticking it makes it work ok.

Thanks for the help though
Old 29-05-2009, 10:05   #5
Callumpy
cf.mega poster

Callumpy has a brilliant futureCallumpy has a brilliant futureCallumpy has a brilliant futureCallumpy has a brilliant futureCallumpy has a brilliant futureCallumpy has a brilliant futureCallumpy has a brilliant futureCallumpy has a brilliant futureCallumpy has a brilliant futureCallumpy has a brilliant futureCallumpy has a brilliant futureCallumpy has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by meld51 View Post
I have solved my prob.
Cool
Callumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2009, 10:19   #6
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars

Now you've got it all working can we throw a spanner int he works an suggest you change to the more secure WPA(2 if possible) Just that if you are gonna have encryption is might as well be one that is secure
Kymmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2009, 10:51   #7
Aragorn
Inactive

Aragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny star

Authentication will try to connect to a Radius server to verify your system is who it says it is. For a detailed explanation, try here.
But as Kymmy says, WEP is not very secure. WPA is better (use the Pre-Shared Key option) and WPA2 is better still if everything supports it. Unfortunately some devices, eg Nintendo DS, still don't support anything more than WEP
Old 30-05-2009, 06:19   #8
meld51
Inactive

Yes the reason I use WEP is that I have a network device (PDA actually) that can't use anything else.

Also I have seen a hacker get through all forms of wireless encryption; no probs.

I use MAC address filtering as well and have network magic which tells me if any intruder tries to enter my network.

Never been knowingly compromised but I don't really trust any method much. What do you all think?

Thanks for the RADIUS link BTW...I get the gist if not the detail.
Old 01-06-2009, 02:47   #9
Lord Nikon
Inactive

Lord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze array
Lord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze array

Dual networks running here, one (Wireless N) which is secured using a pseudorandom passphrase utilising upper and lower case text and numbers WPA2, also mac address filtering, non-broadcasting SSID etc which has internet access. the second one is seperately firewalled running WEP (Old Dialogue Flybook V33i won't support anything above WEP) also mac address filtered and secured for internet only access, no access to the main network. Both have SSID broadcast disabled, both are non-default SSID. It should be pretty secure.
Lord Nikon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 05:49   #10
meld51
Inactive

Sorry mate,

You drifted into technospeak there:
Dual Networks? As far as I know I only run a single network s using a Wireless n router so what do you really mean?

I secure my Wireless n router using WEP encryption.

When I look at networks in my area I see the name of mine so what do you mean by "non broadcast SSID"?
Old 01-06-2009, 13:05   #11
Lord Nikon
Inactive

Lord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze array
Lord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze array

SSID broadcast is disabled, and one network is isolated from the other insofar as while both networks can reach the internet, the wep protected one cannot reach the computers on the main network.

Disabling SSID broadcast is a quick way of slowing people down trying to hack the network.
Lord Nikon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 13:18   #12
Aragorn
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Nikon View Post
SSID broadcast is disabled, and one network is isolated from the other insofar as while both networks can reach the internet, the wep protected one cannot reach the computers on the main network.

Disabling SSID broadcast is a quick way of slowing people down trying to hack the network.
That's a debateable point - Kismet (a popular hacking tool), for one, will display all active networks whether SSID broadcast is on or off.
If a network is secure then leaving it broadcasting will help others in the area if they are trying avoid sharing the same wireless channel.
That's my 2c.
Old 01-06-2009, 19:14   #13
meld51
Inactive

But what two networks are you both talking about?