Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | DSL over Fibre Optics?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

DSL over Fibre Optics?

Old 11-06-2009, 16:14   #1
John2897
Inactive

John2897 is an unknown quantity at this point
Lightbulb DSL over Fibre Optics?

I'm confused...

As far as I'm aware, I'm on a Fibre Optic Internet Connection.

And I think I am Connected to a DSL Modem.

However, I have just been reading Wikipedia...

DSL
Cable Modem
Optical Fiber Communication

I can't work out whether or not I am using DSL over a Fibre Optic Cable, or if DSL Technology was replaced by Fibre Optic Technology?

Question:
If I am using a Fibre Optic Internet Connection, does this mean I must be using DSL?
John2897 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 11-06-2009, 16:44   #2
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Re: DSL over Fibre Optics?

DSL (Digital subscriber Line) is simply a reference to the style of connection and not the transport medium.. which in VM's case is mostly Fibre Optic with the last section being co-axial cable.

ADSL means it's Asyncronous (different upload to download speed)
SDSL means it's Syncronous (same upload and download)
Kymmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 17:05   #3
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by John2897 View Post
I'm confused...

DSL
Cable Modem

I can't work out whether or not I am using DSL over a Fibre Optic Cable, or if DSL Technology was replaced by Fibre Optic Technology?

Question:
If I am using a Fibre Optic Internet Connection, does this mean I must be using DSL?
Actually, just to confuse you, you are actually using a hybrid co-ax/fibre optic network to connect (VM's cable network uses fibre to the street cabinet and co-ax from there to your house).

However, virgin do not use a technology called DSL. The nearest we get in this country are ADSL and SDSL both of which are used over telephone lines. Cable Broadband uses it's own technology to connect to the user.
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 17:22   #4
John2897
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kymmy View Post
DSL is simply a reference to the style of connection and not the transport medium.
I'm still not sure I understand correctly...

So if I said to you:

"I'm on a Virgin Media Fibre Optic Internet Connection. And my PC is plugged into a Virgin Media DSL Modem."

Which reply would be more appopriate?:

1. LOL!! A DSL Modem Connected to a Fibre Optic Internet Connection!!? THAT'S IMPOSSIBLE!!
  2. Yeh', if you have a Virgin Media Fibre Optic Internet Connection, you will more than likely require a DSL Modem.
  3. Yeh', if you have a Virgin Media Fibre Optic Internet Connection, you need a DSL Modem!! If your Modem is anything other than DSL, then you are definitely not using a Fibre Optic Internet Connection!

Thanks in advance.

---------- Post added at 17:22 ---------- Previous post was at 17:15 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart C View Post
Actually, just to confuse you, you are actually using a hybrid co-ax/fibre optic network to connect (VM's cable network uses fibre to the street cabinet and co-ax from there to your house).
Ah' now I'm understanding!

Quote:
However, virgin do not use a technology called DSL. The nearest we get in this country are ADSL and SDSL both of which are used over telephone lines. Cable Broadband uses it's own technology to connect to the user.
Perfect answer!

Quote:
Cable Broadband uses it's own technology
That Technology wouldn't be DOCSIS would it?
Old 11-06-2009, 17:23   #5
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars

I've just tried to point out to you that the medium that you recieve the signal is different than the type of signal you get.

Genericly DSL (Digital Subscriber Line) basically means an internet line that connects you to an internet subscription and uses a digital signal. Although VM uses a variation on DSL it basically is just that where you pay for an internet connection and recieve a digital connection.

In laymans terms though DSL has been corrupted to mean the same as ADSL so although yes your modem is a DSL modem it's not a DSL modem as most people would recognise the term for.

VM supply the modem, you can't buy any other and if your question was in relation to lets say the purchase of a router then you;d need one without DSL built in as you can only use the VM modem
Kymmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 17:59   #6
John2897
Inactive

Ah', your 'Second Post' shines more light on your 'First Post' Kymmy. Thanks!

---------- Post added at 17:59 ---------- Previous post was at 17:55 ----------

For anyone interested in why I wanted to know...

Letter to Virgin...
Old 11-06-2009, 18:39   #7
CHiLL
cf.geek

Services: Sky+ TV and Virgin Media 10MB Internet.
CHiLL is a glorious beacon of lightCHiLL is a glorious beacon of lightCHiLL is a glorious beacon of lightCHiLL is a glorious beacon of lightCHiLL is a glorious beacon of lightCHiLL is a glorious beacon of lightCHiLL is a glorious beacon of light

Well, have you rang Virgin Media? Have you compared your db/power levels in your modem?

Ask them to send a technician out...and can your area even get 10MB yet? All can be found on their website or over the phone.
CHiLL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 20:03   #8
John2897
Inactive

Quote:
Well, have you rang Virgin Media?
No need. I used to be on the 10Mb/s XL (or was it XXL?) Package months ago.

I haven't phoned them. I will Email instead. They always say they will knock the cost of the call off my next bill, but they rarely ever do.

Quote:
Have you compared your db/power levels in your modem?
How?
Old 12-06-2009, 11:01   #9
AbyssUnderground
cf.mega poster

Services: BT Infinity Option 2, HH5, synced at maximum 80Mbps/20Mbps.
AbyssUnderground has reached the bronze age
AbyssUnderground has reached the bronze ageAbyssUnderground has reached the bronze ageAbyssUnderground has reached the bronze ageAbyssUnderground has reached the bronze ageAbyssUnderground has reached the bronze ageAbyssUnderground has reached the bronze ageAbyssUnderground has reached the bronze ageAbyssUnderground has reached the bronze ageAbyssUnderground has reached the bronze age
Send a message via MSN to AbyssUnderground

http://192.168.100.1 login with root as the user/pass. From there you can access the signal levels.

Downstream should be between -8 and +8 dBmV
Upstream should be below 55dBmV
SNR should be above 28dB
AbyssUnderground is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 16:29   #10
Turkey Machine
Inactive

Services: Company LLU internet, soon-to-be company FTTC internet at 56Mb/20Mb!
Turkey Machine has reached the bronze age
Turkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by John2897 View Post
I'm confused...

DSL
Cable Modem

Question:
Depends whether your modem connects to your phone line or a length of co-ax. If the latter, it's a CABLE modem, if the former it's a DSL modem.

DSL over Fibre-optics should be entirely possible because the DSL equipment connecting you to your precious interwebs is at either end of the phone line, all you're doing is transmitting data over it. Though making that fibre-optic should mean that data rates could be upped rather a lot!

/me dreams of 100Mbit DSL...
Turkey Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2009, 16:12   #11
John2897
Inactive

Thumbs up Re: DSL over Fibre Optics?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbyssUnderground View Post
login with root as the user/pass. From there you can access the signal levels.
Thanks...

Taken at around 16:00 on 14 June 2009:

Downstream: -5.10 dBmV
Upstream: +34.0 dBmV
SNR: +34.9 dB

Is it wise to change the Password, if so, what's the Policy (Special Characters, Case Sensitive, Max' Lengh)?