Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Router problem trying to reach 20Mb speeds?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Router problem trying to reach 20Mb speeds?

Old 29-06-2007, 21:09   #31
shawty
Permanently Banned

shawty is a splendid one to beholdshawty is a splendid one to beholdshawty is a splendid one to beholdshawty is a splendid one to beholdshawty is a splendid one to beholdshawty is a splendid one to beholdshawty is a splendid one to beholdshawty is a splendid one to beholdshawty is a splendid one to behold
Re: Router problem trying to reach 20Mb speeds?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Druchii View Post
Yes, it will handle 100Mbps. Cat5e will handle 1Gbps. Cat6 will handle, well, more than 1Gbps.
Cheers thought it would.
shawty is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 30-06-2007, 16:23   #32
rick47
Inactive

rick47 is on a distinguished roadrick47 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawty View Post
Hey, I have VM 20Mb broadband ( was just updated from 10Mb a few days ago ) When I was on 10Mb I would be able to reach around 10Mb speeds. Now the upgrase has happened I can still only get 10Mb speeds when I connect through to my router. When I connect to the modem itself, that is when i start seeing speeds higher than 10Mb, as soon as I reconect to the router I then can only get 10Mb speeds. Or this is what looks like is happening.

I have 20Mb broadband with a NTL 250 modem connected to a Belkin Wireless G Router ( Belkin Wireless G Router 54Mbps 2.4GHz, version F5D7230-4 ) connected by ethernet.

Any help would be grateful on how to change some settings to allow 20Mbs speeds or if a new router would be needed.
Had the same problem..SMC7004VBR.......manual said WAN port 10/100 but not the case after this forum (nice peeps), was told only 10. Was advised to get a linkseys router so ordred it via on line PCworld for instore pickup (cheaper) £48.70, when instoe advisor said get the Belkin....F5D7230.....as I will at this time only be using the 'wired side' of it. Installation not a dream but if you read the pdf manual first rather than the 'Quick set up' it works. Cannot comment on wireless but for wired it breezzes. TRy reinsatlling.
rick47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 22:34   #33
shawty
Permanently Banned

shawty is a splendid one to beholdshawty is a splendid one to beholdshawty is a splendid one to beholdshawty is a splendid one to beholdshawty is a splendid one to beholdshawty is a splendid one to beholdshawty is a splendid one to beholdshawty is a splendid one to beholdshawty is a splendid one to behold

Havent resolved this issue officially yet but have got Belkin to send me out a new router based from what they have said here.

"Good Afternoon.

Thank you for your email.

The reason why your are seeing a slow down when connecting the router is that the routers firewall is blocking what it believes is a connection attempt (blocked by DOS protection).

I have personally seen this problem and have investigated this with NTL, however I was unable to resolve the problem with them.

This message that you are seeing should not be listed in the router and in fact the more entries like this the more that the connection speed will slow down.

Due to the fact that I have been unable to trace the route problem in the past I can only conclude that the firewall in the router is generating these errors incorrectly and is in fact causing the problem.

In order to resolve this issue please reply stating a full contact address including postal code and telephone number and I will arrange to replace this router.

Please accept my sincere apologies for any problems that this has caused."

So just waiting for a new router and i will see if it works.

Just posted this incase anyone has a simalar problem.
shawty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2007, 19:36   #34
sholland
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media VIP
sholland is an unknown quantity at this point

Belkin F5D7230 doesn't seem to do 20meg wireless broadband well in my experience. I got download speeds of 6-8meg (not significantly different to when I was on 10meg service) until I changed to a Linksys Wireless G router which gives me 16-18meg download speeds.
sholland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2007, 16:18   #35
Euromancer
Inactive

Euromancer is an unknown quantity at this point

I think I have the answer on this one as I have the same issues with my ZyXEL cable router. What people are running into isn't a "port" speed issues but what was hinted at with the "NAT/Firewall" answer.

You have basically come up against the router's maximum throughput when the firewall is enabled, around 10mb/s if my ZyXEL is anything to go by.

What you must remember is the difference between “PORT” speed (10/100 baseT et al) and actual packet throughput, through the firewall, which is dependant on the CPU (generally RISK processors) in the router itself. I can only guess that when the specs where drawn up for these router the manufactures, which lets face it are probably only a handful, then the product gets branded a “Belkin” or a “Netgear” didn’t think Internet speed for household use would get above the 10mbs mark. Or as with many things for home use they are built to a price and/or a shelf life. That being said a lot of brand new routers on the shelf’s now are still limited to 10mbs with the NAT/firewall enabled.

I rang up ZyXEL customer support, very helpful chaps, they even rang me back as promised I nearly fainted LOL (not use to that kind of service being a Virgin customer). And they explained the above to me, Making sure I was running the latest firmware as well since they fix possible bugs which could hinder packet throughput. With some of the ZyXEL products on the main web admin page it now displays a CPU usage percent figure.

The two products they recommended which understandably are ZyXEL only:

http://www.zyxel.co.uk/web/product_f...5-4B2C83DFD32B

with a maximum throughput with firewall enabled of 25mbs.

In my opinion it may be better to buy a gigabit switch for the wired connections and then buy a wireless router for the WiFi access point and firewall, then connect the switch to that. Unless anyone knows of a better way I am all ears.
Euromancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2007, 17:22   #36
MrJDGaF
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media V.I.P
MrJDGaF will become famous soon enoughMrJDGaF will become famous soon enoughMrJDGaF will become famous soon enough

Look here- http://www.virginmedia.com/help/20mb...timisation.php

My Belkin was limited to 10Mbps until I followed these instructions now getting 14Mbps average just waiting for a replacement for my SB4100 to see if I can get 20Mbps.

I think at least half the people stuck at 10Mbps would see great improvement after following this guide.
MrJDGaF is offline   Reply With Quote