Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Problems with mapping share to NAS

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Problems with mapping share to NAS

Old 14-08-2007, 21:28   #1
Raistlin
Inactive

Services: Depends on the person and the price they're offering
Raistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered stars
Raistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered stars
Problems with mapping share to NAS

Hey Guys,

I have my NAS up and running fine in Linux, but I'm having a problem with Windows XP Home and I'm hoping someone might be able to help out.

Within the NAS I have set up user accounts, all have r/w access to a folder called 'General' and then there is a folder for each user account.

I've mapped a shared drive within the 'My Computer' window. Assigned a drive letter (T. Told Windows to reconnect the share at login, and told Windows to connect as a different user and supplied the user name and password.

When I click 'Finish' the new mapped drive appears in the 'My Computer' window, and explorer opens with a view of the contents of the folder. I can then read/write within that folder.

This is all fine for as long as I'm logged in to Windows. As soon as I log out everything seems to go missing.

The next time I log in I'm told that the username/password for the share are incorrect. As soon as I supply the correct password I'm allowed access again though.

So.....

Anybody know why Windows might be getting its knickers in a knot over this one?

Thanks
Raistlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 14-08-2007, 22:51   #2
homealone

Re: Problems with mapping share to NAS

as you well know, Raistlin, I know nuffin, but is the functionality you want only available in the 'professional' version, of XP, rather than the 'home' version you referenced???
Old 15-08-2007, 07:42   #3
Raistlin
Inactive

Raistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered stars
Raistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered stars

Shouldn't be, it should only require Windows to remember a damn password!
Old 15-08-2007, 09:35   #4
Aragorn
Inactive

Aragorn has a nice shiny star
Aragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny star

Not sure it can remember the password like that in XP Home.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Net help use
/SAVECRED Specifies that the username and password are to be saved. This switch is ignored unless the command prompts for username and password. This option is not available on Windows XP Home Edition and will be ignored.
What you could do as a kludge is change the share to password security (rather than user) and have a single line cmd file with :
net use T: //NAS/General Password
Then add this file to your start-up group.
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2007, 10:00   #5
Raistlin
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aragorn View Post

What you could do as a kludge is change the share to password security (rather than user) and have a single line cmd file with :

Oh pooh.

Unfortunately the NAS is fairly basic and you need to set up username/password type accounts and then assign access to the shares for those accounts. You can't just have a general password on it

Looks like (after all the effort trying to get an OEM install of Home) I'm going to have to upgrade to Pro after all
Old 16-08-2007, 19:29   #6
Raistlin
Inactive

Ok, this is starting to be a real problem now.

I now have Windows XP Pro installed, and I'm having the same problem.

The drives will map and function normally until I log off/on, then they won't reconnect at login. If I input the password again they login first time.

Do I need to change something in XP Pro to make this work, and is it possible to change the same thing in Home so that it will work too?

Thanks.
Old 17-08-2007, 14:32   #7
Raistlin
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aragorn View Post

This is exactly what I did to get this working, I created a .bat file with a line in it for each share and put it in the 'Startup' directory.

Thanks very much for this

Just in case anybody else needs it, the syntax to mount a share is as follows:

Where:

Share name = 'General'
NAS name = 'Storage'
Username = 'uName' (username is specific to the NAS)
Password = 'pWord'
Mapped Drive Letter = T:

Code:
NET USE T: \\Storage\General /USER:Storage\uName pWord