Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Coronavirus

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Coronavirus

Old 03-12-2021, 15:32   #196
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmistoffelees View Post
i don't see the government permitting drink driving?
I dont really see how its relevant.
However, Drink Driving *is* permitted, up to a certain limit.
For the record, the limit only applies to public roads/places as well.

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 03-12-2021, 15:35   #197
mrmistoffelees

Services: Many
mrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronze
mrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post
I dont really see how its relevant.
However, Drink Driving *is* permitted, up to a certain limit.
For the record, the limit only applies to public roads/places as well.
I obviously made my point badly & yes, you're quite right.
Old 03-12-2021, 15:49   #198
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmistoffelees View Post
I obviously made my point badly & yes, you're quite right.
I thought you meant to imply the Government regularly legislates in the collective interest, as individuals cannot necessarily be trusted to make judgement calls on their personal risk or risks to others.

The drink drive limit is an arbitrary threshold that does exactly this due to the risk drivers pose to other road users, pedestrians and adjacent property to the roads. Just like the risk those carrying Covid could pose to others who happen to share the same spaces. This is the crux of self isolation policies implemented around the world for those who have tested positive and, prior to vaccination, their household contacts due to the high prevalence of within household transmission.

For those who oppose state intervention for entirely ideological reasons (and not weighing up public health) pointing this out seems an entirely credible position to take in a debate.
jfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 15:53   #199
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
I thought you meant to imply the Government regularly legislates in the collective interest, as individuals cannot necessarily be trusted to make judgement calls on their personal risk or risks to others.

The drink drive limit is an arbitrary threshold that does exactly this due to the risk drivers pose to other road users, pedestrians and adjacent property to the roads. Just like the risk those carrying Covid could pose to others who happen to share the same spaces. This is the crux of self isolation policies implemented around the world for those who have tested positive and, prior to vaccination, their household contacts due to the high prevalence of within household transmission.

For those who oppose state intervention for entirely ideological reasons (and not weighing up public health) pointing this out seems an entirely credible position to take in a debate.
The context of this particular aspect of the discussion was lost several pages ago.
Old 03-12-2021, 16:02   #200
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
The context of this particular aspect of the discussion was lost several pages ago.
Well I’ve gave everyone a helpful reminder.
Old 03-12-2021, 16:20   #201
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

For those panicing about Omicron this may help.

pip08456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 16:27   #202
jfman
Architect of Ideas

Quote:
Originally Posted by pip08456 View Post
For those panicing about Omicron this may help.

I’m one minute in and so far I can tell Covid is on the up in almost all age groups, and almost all regions. Is there good news in there?

I think people will certainly be careful, and take personal responsibility by keeping their money in their pockets this December until there is some clarity.
Old 03-12-2021, 17:38   #203
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Quote:
I’m one minute in and so far I can tell Covid is on the up in almost all age groups, and almost all regions. Is there good news in there?

I think people will certainly be careful, and take personal responsibility by keeping their money in their pockets this December until there is some clarity.
I'm splurging - and looking by the numbers in John Lewis (High Wycombe) and Waitrose (Wokingham), the good burgerS in my area may be doing likewise.

My advice is at your risk.

Last edited by Sephiroth; 03-12-2021 at 18:42.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 18:44   #204
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
Awww mate, I didn’t have you down as a vulnerable adult. I will adjust accordingly.

Just make sure you have a responsible person with you when posting.
Once again, like in so many of your judgments, you would be mistaken…

Also, I doubt very much, with your solipsistic outlook, you would adjust for anything or anyone unless it benefited you…

---------- Post added at 18:43 ---------- Previous post was at 18:38 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
I certainly don’t agree with enforced inoculations!

I think most people understand what I mean when I say the scientists want to control us. They have frightened a portion of the public senseless, offered up wildly inflated future scenarios and come at us continually demanding more action restricting our freedoms. How can you not understand this?
Why do the scientists want to control us?

---------- Post added at 18:44 ---------- Previous post was at 18:43 ----------

Quote:
OK, is this better?

‘ Old Boy there’s no reasoning with someone who thinks Covid 19 is a communist plot to keep people in lockdown.’

I didn’t say that. Another twist. I said Communists like to control people.

‘I told you it wouldn’t go away in the summer. It didn’t.’

The variant we were dealing with then did, actually. It was a new variant that changed the infection rate.

‘I told you variants would reduce vaccine efficacy. It did.’

It was always obvious that mutations could do this, and I warned about that ages ago. However, you only really know what the impact of any new mutation is when it happens. The problem with the latest variant from SA is that the scientists are leaping into control freakery before they actually know we have a problem. You seem blind to the fact that we cannot go on like this, year after year.

‘I said there was no evidence it would become less virulent. There isn’t.’

True. No evidence it will be more so, either. However, thus far, SA infections are not leading to increased hospitalisations over other variants, so we will have to see if that changes.

‘How do you propose to recover the economy when rational actors in the economy stay home - at least some of the time - so they don’t get sick?’

I should imagine that the vast majority will carry on as they do now, going into work. Of course if the government continue to enforce isolation a la pingdemic, it goes without saying we will have a problem, but that is not what I am advocating.

‘What proposals do you have to support those businesses your heart bled so much for when they could rely on furlough and other support measures to get them through Christmas? They can’t live on entrepreneurial spirit’

Except that I am not advocating enforced isolation. You are.

A question for you, however. When we have totally ruined the economy and we are all reduced to poverty, how do you propose the NHS will be funded? You’re the economist, apparently. Knock yourself out.

As for your last comment, people should be going to work, not staying at home unless legally required to do so. And I do not believe there is any necessity to impose such a requirement at present.
You are advocating enforced isolation for 3.7 million people.
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 19:55   #205
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
Once again, like in so many of your judgments, you would be mistaken…

Also, I doubt very much, with your solipsistic outlook, you would adjust for anything or anyone unless it benefited you…
I hope your designated responsible adult has approved that post.
Old 03-12-2021, 20:03   #206
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

Quote:
I hope your designated responsible adult has approved that post.
Oh dear, bit like a playground round here..

Had my booster at the weekend, Moderna , bit poorly for a day then OK. Can't be as good as the AZN jab because that made me ill for a week!
Mr K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 20:06   #207
jfman
Architect of Ideas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr K View Post
Oh dear, bit like a playground round here..

Had my booster at the weekend, Moderna , bit poorly for a day then OK. Can't be as good as the AZN jab because that made me ill for a week!
You don’t expect Pierre’s personal responsibility to take him outside to catch Covid on a Friday night, do you?

That’s for the plebs.
Old 03-12-2021, 20:19   #208
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:

---------- Post added at 18:44 ---------- Previous post was at 18:43 ----------

[/COLOR]
You are advocating enforced isolation for 3.7 million people.
Rather than for 60m, wouldn’t you say?

---------- Post added at 20:19 ---------- Previous post was at 20:16 ----------

Quote:
Why do the scientists want to control us?.
Because they can.
Old 03-12-2021, 20:30   #209
jfman
Architect of Ideas

Quote:
Rather than for 60m, wouldn’t you say?
I see shield the vulnerable is now stuff the vulnerable. I’m not sure how we can force 60 million people into isolation given many of them live together, and mixing was permitted at various stages of restrictions with some mitigations - e.g. distancing.

How does your economy look without their purchasing power within it?

Quote:
Because they can.
The communists want to control us, now it’s the scientists.

The irony is that it is you, Old Boy, wanting to restrict freedoms of others for the sake of ideology. Force people to work regardless of whether it’s safe. Force people to commute. Force people into bars and cafes to keep them viable.

All fundamentally because, I suspect in your head, you plan to stay in for a few months until it blew over. So the sooner others got on with it the better.

Last edited by jfman; 03-12-2021 at 20:33.
Old 03-12-2021, 20:46   #210
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
I see shield the vulnerable is now stuff the vulnerable. I’m not sure how we can force 60 million people into isolation given many of them live together, and mixing was permitted at various stages of restrictions with some mitigations - e.g. distancing.

How does your economy look without their purchasing power within it?

No, it’s shield the vulnerable. What are lockdowns - your solution - if not isolation?

Lockdowns will not eliminate the virus - although you don’t seem to understand this point.

---------- Post added at 20:46 ---------- Previous post was at 20:42 ----------

Quote:
The communists want to control us, now it’s the scientists.

The irony is that it is you, Old Boy, wanting to restrict freedoms of others for the sake of ideology. Force people to work regardless of whether it’s safe. Force people to commute. Force people into bars and cafes to keep them viable.

All fundamentally because, I suspect in your head, you plan to stay in for a few months until it blew over. So the sooner others got on with it the better.
The scientists have been trying to control our actions and what we can and cannot do since Covid arrived, and now it’s become a habitual knee-jerk response to everything. Some are making no secret of the fact they want to see mask wearing and social distancing forever more.

And what do you mean by ‘ I suspect in your head, you plan to stay in for a few months until it blew over’? Where does that come from? Nobody stops me from going out, sunshine.