Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Britain outside the EU

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs

Britain outside the EU

Old 02-02-2022, 18:01   #3811
papa smurf
vox populi vox dei

Services: every thing
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Britain outside the EU

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post
I'm suggesting that instead of labelling someone who wants to join a remainiac, they are called a rejoiner. I'm not suggesting everyone who voted remain is called a rejoiner as many or even most are not.
Wear that shame
Old 02-02-2022, 18:23   #3812
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Quote:
I'm suggesting. that instead of labelling someone who wants to join a remainiac, they are called a rejoiner. I'm not suggesting everyone who voted remain is called a rejoiner as many or even most are not.
”Remoaner” will do.

My advice is at your risk.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2022, 18:56   #3813
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien View Post
A lot of Remainers would still vote to Remain if given the chance but also don't think it's worth the effort nor the toxicity it would inject back into British politics. It's actually pretty healthy that the Brexit divide has become less important as time has gone on, there was a fear British politics would split along those lines.

The actual number of people who think it is worth the effort and want to pursue is a small minority of hardcore activists who are doing it - in part - because they've carved out a niche for themselves around that identity. They're a bit weird and come out with essentially fan fiction on how it'll happen when writing on Twitter.
Got any links? I could do with a laugh …
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2022, 20:00   #3814
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Got any links? I could do with a laugh …
I don't actually follow any of them so only see them when retweeted into my feed by people mocking them but this guy claims to live in France: https://twitter.com/archer_rs

I am not sure if it's a troll account because of the stock picture and this line in his bio:

Quote:
My wife and I are to be found either in the Dordogne or on our travels.
Which seems almost too perfectly 'remainer'.

This is his latest work of pure art:

Quote:
French radio saying this morning that as soon as Johnson is gone the process for the UK to rejoin the EU will begin. They say the Conservatives will blame him for everything.

..a 'middle road' Conservative will will lay all of the troubles as Johnson's door, sideline the ERG, push the "natural Party of government" line to the media and 'save Britain'. The question is who? Who could sell this to the public? Oliver Dowden was suggested.
Again either a brilliant troll or someone who has lost connection with reality but the people who follow seem to take it seriously.
Damien is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2022, 20:09   #3815
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

Quote:
I don't actually follow any of them so only see them when retweeted into my feed by people mocking them but this guy claims to live in France: https://twitter.com/archer_rs

I am not sure if it's a troll account because of the stock picture and this line in his bio:

Which seems almost too perfectly 'remainer'.

This is his latest work of pure art:

Again either a brilliant troll or someone who has lost connection with reality but the people who follow seem to take it seriously.
I've never taken him seriously but he is good.
pip08456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2022, 20:13   #3816
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by pip08456 View Post
I've never taken him seriously but he is good.
I can't tell. You think it's a parody account, I mean look at this line:

Quote:
Dinner at friends this evening. Not sure what is on the menu but I'm taking a Château de Beaucastel
Châteauneuf-du-Pape 2019 as a gift, my wife is taking some of our fresh duck eggs.
It's almost too perfect. A reasonably expensive Châteauneuf-du-Pape but from 2019? It's too well crafted. But then he seems to spend most of the time retweeting negative news about Brexit....
Damien is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2022, 21:36   #3817
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

Quote:
I can't tell. You think it's a parody account, I mean look at this line:

It's almost too perfect. A reasonably expensive Châteauneuf-du-Pape but from 2019? It's too well crafted. But then he seems to spend most of the time retweeting negative news about Brexit....
Oh, he's 100% remainer. Always has been. As to the rest....
pip08456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2022, 22:58   #3818
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Anyone would think there was an election round the corner!
Quote:
Brexit: Northern Ireland minister accused of breaching international law after he orders halt to agri-food checks at ports by midnight

A row between Northern Ireland's parties, as well as the Irish government, has erupted after Edwin Poots claimed he could legally stop the checks that have been going on since 2021.

The agri-food checks at Northern Ireland's ports are required under the terms of the Northern Ireland Protocol, which is designed to avoid the introduction of a hard border between Ireland and Northern Ireland.

Edwin Poots, former leader of the Democratic Unionist Party (DUP), said he will seek an agreement from the power-sharing government on a way forward in the near future.

He said he made the decision based on legal advice but Sinn Fein, the party the DUP shares power with, said it was unlawful and "a stunt".

The Irish government said halting checks would effectively be a breach of international law.

It is unclear whether the senior civil servant in Mr Poots' department, Anthony Harbinson, will comply with the order and it may only become clear once the first ferries arrive at ports on Thursday morning.
https://news.sky.com/story/brexit-no...ports-12531285
1andrew1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2022, 09:07   #3819
jonbxx
cf.mega poster

Services: VM VIP Pack
jonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appeal
jonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Anyone would think there was an election round the corner!

https://news.sky.com/story/brexit-no...ports-12531285
Sets an interesting precedent that devolved governments that ignore/break international treaties, independent of Westminster. There will be considerable interest in Cardiff and Edinburgh right now I think!
jonbxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2022, 09:15   #3820
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonbxx View Post
Sets an interesting precedent that devolved governments that ignore/break international treaties, independent of Westminster. There will be considerable interest in Cardiff and Edinburgh right now I think!
It's all kinds of dangerous, including that potential split between civil servants and politicians.
Old 03-02-2022, 09:18   #3821
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonbxx View Post
Quite the opposite in Scotland I think. Remember the DUP’s endgame is to vandalise a process that it believes undermines the province’s place within the UK. In Edinburgh, the SNP is interested in looking like a nation-state government in waiting and prefers to try to look like a good international citizen. Generally this means they like showing up at international events at taxpayers’ expense even when they have no business being there. But it does also mean they prefer to paint Westminster as reckless and themselves as responsible international citizens. It’s very unlikely they would seek to do anything that could be said to breach international law.
Old 03-02-2022, 11:02   #3822
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Quite the opposite in Scotland I think. Remember the DUP’s endgame is to vandalise a process that it believes undermines the province’s place within the UK. In Edinburgh, the SNP is interested in looking like a nation-state government in waiting and prefers to try to look like a good international citizen. Generally this means they like showing up at international events at taxpayers’ expense even when they have no business being there. But it does also mean they prefer to paint Westminster as reckless and themselves as responsible international citizens. It’s very unlikely they would seek to do anything that could be said to breach international law.
Good point re not breaching international law.

I doubt the SNP are experiencing many difficulties in painting Westminster as reckless right now. Johnson, Cummings, Carrie, et al have done that for them!

---------- Post added at 11:02 ---------- Previous post was at 09:26 ----------

More NI developments. Looking more like "Get Brexit wrong" than "Get Brexit done"
Quote:
Northern Ireland First Minister Paul Givan is preparing to announce his resignation, a senior Democratic Unionist Party (DUP) source says.

It is thought an announcement will come by the end of the week - potentially later today.

Senior DUP figures are set to meet later on Thursday to confirm the timing of Mr Givan's resignation statement, the PA news agency understands.
https://news.sky.com/story/paul-giva...esign-12531664
Old 03-02-2022, 11:49   #3823
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Unionists are playing a dangerous game here. If they keep looking like they’re the ones collapsing power sharing it will in time increase interest in different solutions to a so far intractable problem. Among those possible solutions is a border poll (that said, Northern Ireland within the Republic would inevitably continue to operate under a similar devolved, power-sharing arrangement as today).
Old 03-02-2022, 11:54   #3824
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Unionists are playing a dangerous game here. If they keep looking like they’re the ones collapsing power sharing it will in time increase interest in different solutions to a so far intractable problem. Among those possible solutions is a border poll (that said, Northern Ireland within the Republic would inevitably continue to operate under a similar devolved, power-sharing arrangement as today).
They probably chose the worst day UK-wise to announce this as GB will be focused on energy prices.
Old 07-02-2022, 20:43   #3825
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
They probably chose the worst day UK-wise to announce this as GB will be focused on energy prices.
Andrew. Just for you! Enjoy.

https://youtu.be/BbXDeETm-zA