Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Police to get tough on internet trolls.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Police to get tough on internet trolls.

Old 22-12-2021, 16:24   #1096
Jaymoss
Just a Geek

Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal
Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal
Re: Police to get tough on internet trolls.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post
So ..

Did anyone seriously think that was going to work ?

So why does no one ever suggest the most obvious - dont use them ?
Just disable your account, or make it private (if such an option exists).
You can make an account private but when you interact in a public group then people can respond.

People should be allowed to go about their business without threat and fear of persecution though. Social media site owners have a responsibility to their membership to protect them from such

Where is the justice for the innocent with the "just not use them" approach? How is it right to punish the innocent and leave the guilty to continue doing as they please?

Should women not go to clubs so they cannot get date raped? should people stay in after dark so they cannot get robbed? no doubt it will be said that this is a stupid comparison, but is it? I personally do not think so

Plus on top of all that you are totally missing the whole psychological aspect of social media and the millennial there is an interesting video on it I will see if I can find it

Last edited by Jaymoss; 22-12-2021 at 16:32.
Jaymoss is online now   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 22-12-2021, 16:34   #1097
Russ
cf.mega poster

Russ has a golden aura
Russ has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden aura

Should we tell people to lock their doors at night in case they get burgled?

Vote #AnyoneButTory
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2021, 16:40   #1098
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymoss View Post
People should be allowed to go about their business without threat and fear of persecution though. Social media site owners have a responsibility to their membership to protect them from such
Much like 'abuse', that's very easy to sit behind a keyboard and say.

In reality however, almost impossible to achieve.
Facebook has roughly 2.89 Billion active users.
Twitter has about 200 Million, Instagram just about 1 Billion.

Quote:
Should women not go to clubs so they cannot get date raped? should people stay in after dark so they cannot get robbed? no doubt it will be said that this is a stupid comparison, but is it?
Those things are not the same, so not really a valid comparison.
If you want to try and compare them, the same advice applies, if you think its unsafe, dont do it.

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2021, 16:53   #1099
Jaymoss
Just a Geek

Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Much like 'abuse', that's very easy to sit behind a keyboard and say.

In reality however, almost impossible to achieve.
Facebook has roughly 2.89 Billion active users.
Twitter has about 200 Million, Instagram just about 1 Billion.

Those things are not the same, so not really a valid comparison.
If you want to try and compare them, the same advice applies, if you think its unsafe, dont do it.
did you watch the video?
Old 22-12-2021, 16:55   #1100
Itshim
Do I care what you think

Services: V6 ,Virgin L. Phone Broadband.sky go Netflix
Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal
Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal

Quote:

Very true , but so many want others to think for them
Old 22-12-2021, 16:56   #1101
Jaymoss
Just a Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itshim View Post
Very true , but so many want others to think for them
watch the video too. It will give you an idea of the psychology on the subject.

Say just do not do it is exactly the same as telling an alcoholic not to drink or a gambling addict not to gamble. The video explains all this before anyone decides to dismiss me out of hand
Old 22-12-2021, 17:12   #1102
Russ
cf.mega poster

Russ has a golden aura

Well I watched it and all I heard was Millennials crave validation. Doesn’t apply to me as I’m not a Millennial. It’s doesn’t “explain” anything, it just offers a particular perspective and one that sounds pretty weak to me in all honesty.

Vote #AnyoneButTory
Old 22-12-2021, 17:24   #1103
Jaymoss
Just a Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ View Post
Well I watched it and all I heard was Millennials crave validation. Doesn’t apply to me as I’m not a Millennial. It’s doesn’t “explain” anything, it just offers a particular perspective and one that sounds pretty weak to me in all honesty.
It explains the psychology of addiction.

By your picture one would assume you are a body builder so surely you understand about endorphins? I fine it crazy that someone who must know how good they make you feel after a work out cannot see and understand the role hormones play on the mind.

It is mainly the young "The Millennials" that are falling the most foul of trolling on social media
Old 22-12-2021, 17:29   #1104
Russ
cf.mega poster

Russ has a golden aura

Quote:
It explains the psychology of addiction.

By your picture one would assume you are a body builder so surely you understand about endorphins? I fine it crazy that someone who must know how good they make you feel after a work out cannot see and understand the role hormones play on the mind.
Well I’m not addicted to bodybuilding so I’m not sure it’s the same thing.

But if I was I wouldn’t expect anyone to change or rethink their behaviour towards me. The gym is my sanctuary and is what I used to drag myself out of depression (not looking for or requiring sympathy, just giving context).

It may not work for everyone but it worked for me. If someone wants to think I’m stupid for spending as much time in the gym as I do or for the dedication I put in to what I eat as a result then I’m not even slightly bothered. It works for me and in this instance that’s all that counts.

Still not sure I can see your point.

Vote #AnyoneButTory
Old 22-12-2021, 17:32   #1105
Jaymoss
Just a Geek

Quote:
Well I’m not addicted to bodybuilding so I’m not sure it’s the same thing.

But if I was I wouldn’t expect anyone to change or rethink their behaviour towards me. The gym is my sanctuary and is what I used to drag myself out of depression (not looking for or requiring sympathy, just giving context).

It may not work for everyone but it worked for me. If someone wants to think I’m stupid for spending as much time in the gym as I do or for the dedication I put in to what I eat as a result then I’m not even slightly bothered. It works for me and in this instance that’s all that counts.

Still not sure I can see your point.

So imagine for a minute if suddenly a group of bigger meat heads join your gym and start trying to intimidate you and consistently cause you grief. You try to deal with it but get nowhere and management just say "just stop coming" how would you feel about that?

When was the last time you took an extended break from training?
Old 22-12-2021, 17:35   #1106
Russ
cf.mega poster

Russ has a golden aura

Quote:

It is mainly the young "The Millennials" that are falling the most foul of trolling on social media
If these people are the ones who put their entire lives on social media and “interact” with followers etc then they have to understand that not everyone will like them. I’m not saying abuse is always justified but if you put yourself out there then you have to expect some negativity.

Accusing the negative people of being “jealous” has always made me laugh. Yep it could be jealousy but then again it could be that the poster is just a bit of a *4 letter swear word* occasionally.

---------- Post added at 18:35 ---------- Previous post was at 18:33 ----------

Quote:
So imagine for a minute if suddenly a group of bigger meat heads join your join and start trying to intimidate you and consistently cause you grief. You try to deal with it but get nowhere and management just say "just stop coming" how would you feel about that?
Hard to answer a hypothetical question as I can’t see that happening - my gym is big enough that when I go at 6am I rarely have any other human interaction and that’s just the way I like it.

In all the years I’ve been going to gyms I’ve never seen or heard of any such scenario so it’s an impossible question. From my limited interact with humans at the gym I’ve always found people to be supportive and encouraging.

Vote #AnyoneButTory
Old 22-12-2021, 17:36   #1107
Jaymoss
Just a Geek

Quote:
If these people are the ones who put their entire lives on social media and “interact” with followers etc then they have to understand that not everyone will like them. I’m not saying abuse is always justified but if you put yourself out there then you have to expect some negativity.

Accusing the negative people of being “jealous” has always made me laugh. Yep it could be jealousy but then again it could be that the poster is just a bit of a *4 letter swear word* occasionally.

---------- Post added at 18:35 ---------- Previous post was at 18:33 ----------

Hard to answer an hypothetical question as I can’t see that happening - my gym is big enough that when I go at 6am I rarely have any other human interaction and that’s just the way I like it.

In all the years I’ve been going to gyms I’ve never seen or heard of any such scenario so it’s an impossible question. From my limited interact with humans at the gym I’ve always found people to be supportive and encouraging.

For someone who has suffered from depression you appear to have very little understanding around mental problems

Try empathy Russ you have suffered, I have suffered and still suffer from depression. I have empathy for others and I have a understanding of not only psychology but also physiology

How do you know you are not addicted to training?
Old 22-12-2021, 17:38   #1108
Russ
cf.mega poster

Russ has a golden aura

Quote:

When was the last time you took an extended break from training?
Depends on what you call extended. The last time was earlier this year when gyms were closed for 2/3 months.

---------- Post added at 18:38 ---------- Previous post was at 18:37 ----------

Quote:
For someone who has suffered from depression you appear to have very little understanding around mental problems
Really? You think depression is a one-size-fits-all condition?

Vote #AnyoneButTory
Old 22-12-2021, 17:41   #1109
Jaymoss
Just a Geek

Quote:
Depends on what you call extended. The last time was earlier this year when gyms were closed for 2/3 months.

---------- Post added at 18:38 ---------- Previous post was at 18:37 ----------

Really? You think depression is a one-size-fits-all condition?
Did you still train at home?

Of course not but it has certainly given me empathy and understanding of causes of depression in others.

The whole point of the young/technology/social media with psychology and depression appears to have gone right over your head
Old 22-12-2021, 17:45   #1110
Russ
cf.mega poster

Russ has a golden aura

Quote:
Did you still train at home?
Yep.

Quote:
Of course not but it has certainly given me empathy and understanding of causes of depression in others.

The whole point of the young/technology/social media with psychology and depression appears to have gone right over your head
Well good for you but just because one person has been through depression does not automatically make them qualified to comment on the causes of others.

And why wouldn’t it go over my head? It’s not an area of depression I’m familiar with, I found my own ways to deal with it plus I’m not a Millennial.

Vote #AnyoneButTory