Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | No signal being received - Glasgow

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Alternatives to Virgin Media > Freesat & Freeview
Register FAQ Community Calendar

No signal being received - Glasgow

Old 05-08-2014, 20:04   #1
joegrace95
Inactive

joegrace95 is an unknown quantity at this point
No signal being received - Glasgow

Hi all,

I live in Glasgow and have tried everything to get signal.

I have a Samsung TV and bought a brand new indoor aerial to get freeview (see link: http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Produc...er/1080311.htm)

The TV has (as far as I'm aware) freeview built in, so I did the scan and it came up with nothing - second guessing myself, I then went out to the shop to purchase a freeview box (at this point sixty pounds down!) to see if that was the problem.

All set up - still no channels. It's just not picking anything up. I have tried two seperate indoor arials, one of which is significantly better than the other. Any suggestions?!

I have attached a few photo's to show my set-up - the aerial in the photo is the worse of the two.

Thanks guys.
joegrace95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 05-08-2014, 21:31   #2
arcimedes
cf.mega poster

Services: TV XL ,TiVo X 2, 200Mb Broadband XL phone
arcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond repute
Re: No signal being received - Glasgow

One possibility is that an indoor aerial isn't good enough to receive the Freeview signal. Do you know what your neighbours are using. A good clue would be if there were some aerials on the roofs.
arcimedes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 22:15   #3
joegrace95
Inactive

joegrace95 is an unknown quantity at this point

It's a block of flats so there is a communal aerial. However the wire is on the otherside of the flat and is connected to Sky.

As for not in range, I am in the West of Glasgow and reasonably close to a transmitter so I doubt that?
joegrace95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 22:28   #4
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Is it an old aerial you got out of a cupboard or a new one bought locally? It could be the wrong kind of aerial or you could have it angled incorrectly.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 09:15   #5
arcimedes
cf.mega poster

Services: TV XL ,TiVo X 2, 200Mb Broadband XL phone
arcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by joegrace95 View Post
It's a block of flats so there is a communal aerial. However the wire is on the otherside of the flat and is connected to Sky.

As for not in range, I am in the West of Glasgow and reasonably close to a transmitter so I doubt that?
As Chris suggests positioning the aerial is all important. I had problems with a new loft aerial which wouldn't work properly until I finally made absolutely sure the shielding on the cable was connecting to the TV.

Are there any tall buildings obstructing your view of the transmitter?

It is strange that it doesn't pick up anything on the scan. You are scanning for the digital channels and not for the analogue channels?
arcimedes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 10:37   #6
nodrogd
cf.mega poster

Services: Maxit + Movies/Sports HD (V6x2), BB350, Anytime Chatter. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG
nodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful one

A good point to note is, unless you are trying to receive from the main transmitter at Black Hill, the indoor aerial needs to be vertically polarised. Most of these aerials are set up to receive horizontal polarisation at purchase & need rotating to receive the signals from local relays.
nodrogd is offline   Reply With Quote