Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | satellite dish

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Alternatives to Virgin Media > Freesat & Freeview

satellite dish

Old 23-09-2011, 13:52   #1
cjw177
Inactive

cjw177 is an unknown quantity at this point
satellite dish

Hi Everybody!

I have moved house, and i try to find a cheap tv solution. previously i had a ross sat system, the picture quality wasnt the best, but i liked the music cchannels. so im looking for something similar. the story is the next. i realized that there is a small dish outside, belongs to me now, also two cables comes into the house. i think it was a sky disk. the writing on the lnb is wnc universal quad. obviously i dont have a clue about that like is it working or not. as im looking for a quick solution, i was thinkin of buyin a ross satellite receiver at b&q. olny tha box. what do yo think, would it work, or should i have to buy a whole new kit with dish and install it, and its surely workin? thx
cjw177 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 23-09-2011, 14:08   #2
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Re: satellite dish

If the dish was sky then it'll be fully compatible and pointing in the right direction for either FTA via Astra2 or Freesat via marked freesat receiver. In fact if you have two cables it'll be a dual/quad lnb so you can have two freesat/fta boxes on the same dish.

PS.. Welcome to the forum
Kymmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2011, 14:10   #3
cjw177
Inactive

thank you. what do you recommend, fta or freesat?
Old 23-09-2011, 14:17   #4
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars

For simplicity, EPG and bbc iplayer I'd suggest freesat, but if you want multiple sats with loads of channels then a FTA with motor.
Old 23-09-2011, 14:27   #5
cjw177
Inactive

Thanx mate, so if i just go to b&q, buy a ross sat receiver, and i just connect it up, it would work, so it is just easy as this?
Old 23-09-2011, 14:28   #6
Kymmy
Inactive

As long as no-one has messed with the dish then yes it should work
Old 23-09-2011, 14:36   #7
cjw177
Inactive

you are magic, thanx for your quick response
Old 23-09-2011, 22:11   #8
cjw177
Inactive

im back again. ive just checked the sat kits at b&q, but only the hd ross kit goes with the sky dish, like quad lnb. the standard sd kit only has single lnb connection. so im not sure that the quad works with the sd set. also its a bit confusing, like if yuo go to b&q, the simple receiver both sd and hd is almost double price compare to the kits. and i think, the kits(receiver with dish) includes the same receivers. i need help, cause for me is just madness.

---------- Post added at 21:11 ---------- Previous post was at 21:05 ----------

also the very important thing is, that i want to connect the receiver with a projector, that means i need separate connections for picture and sound., i connect the sound to my hifi.
Old 23-09-2011, 22:46   #9
Kymmy
Inactive

Quad LNB's work with any sets.. The extra connectors are for receivers with multiple tuners inside (for example tuners with a record whilst you watch another channel function (PVR)) or multiple tuners (i.e.. upto 4 single tuners or 2 PVR tuners)
Old 03-03-2014, 21:54   #10
vicky_jade
Inactive

vicky_jade is an unknown quantity at this point

hi I am just woundering how I get a new remote for my ross satalight box plz and could u send me a email on admin edit (Chris) email address removed plz thanx u very much
vicky_jade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 22:14   #11
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

We are a community forum designed to help each other out - please don't ask for support via email, answers to users questions should always be posted in public so everyone benefits. Thanks.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote