Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | The nintendo wii media and information thread!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Gaming Discussion > Nintendo Games Systems
Register FAQ Community Calendar

The nintendo wii media and information thread!

Old 08-12-2006, 09:52   #31
Logan
Inactive

Services: Sky+ NTL 10mb
Logan is just really niceLogan is just really niceLogan is just really niceLogan is just really niceLogan is just really niceLogan is just really nice
Send a message via MSN to Logan
Re: The nintendo wii media and information thread!

Picked mine up at about 8:30 this morning

Bought the console, plus Zelda, plus Wiiplay which comes with a spare controller and an addition Wiichuck thing for £7.99. Total came to £250.

If funds had stretched, I'd have bought Red Shift too. But were a bit tight this Xmas! Saw the advert on TV for Red Shift and the control mechanism looks cool Really want to give that a go.

Two GAME stores in our city center, so what did I do, go to the wrong one lol, had to peg it from one to the other, needed to be back in work before 9am lol. Couldn't remember which I'd pre-ordered from

There were no queues at 8:30, but both stores informed me that people were queueing before 7am and there was a bit of a rush which died down after an hour. Both GAME stores have no more stock for the general public, so unless you pre-ordered, you wouldn't get one from GAME stores in MK. Not sure about other places like Gamestation, Virgin or HMV, but they weren't busy at all - which either means sold out, or nobodies up lol

The only stock if you're lucky, that GAME had came from cancellations. When I went in, there were two guys in the queue before me. First one was lucky enough to get a cancelled one! Second guy was gutted, but the first guy went away on his phone to ask his son or missus lol, the sales assistant was telling the second guy, you can hang around to see whether this guy wants it or not. First guy came back and took it of course

Virtually every second lad though, was carrying a GAME bag ROFL 8)

Pity I won't be opening it till Christmas Day
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 08-12-2006, 10:26   #32
Jarandco
Inactive

Services: NTL 2 MEG
Jarandco has entered a golden reputation eraJarandco has entered a golden reputation eraJarandco has entered a golden reputation eraJarandco has entered a golden reputation eraJarandco has entered a golden reputation eraJarandco has entered a golden reputation eraJarandco has entered a golden reputation eraJarandco has entered a golden reputation eraJarandco has entered a golden reputation eraJarandco has entered a golden reputation eraJarandco has entered a golden reputation era
Send a message via MSN to Jarandco

Be picking mine up later, but not untill this afternoon Have to spend the whole evening playing it then! I also hope amazon get Zelda to me in the post this morning!
Jarandco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006, 12:03   #33
Gareth
cf.mega poster

Gareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny stars
Gareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny stars

Was in Tesco last night around 9pm and was told they had 28 consoles ready, so I joined the queue at #18. Then later on, at about 10:30 I gave my sister a call and she joined at #28. Turns out they actually had 30 consoles... think the guy behind the till was planning on keeping a couple for himself

After seeing the prices they're going for on fleabay, I'm sorely tempted to flog it now and get one in the New Year.
Gareth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006, 12:43   #34
punky
Inactive

punky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aura
punky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aura

Must admit, I am a bit jealous now... Even though I still don't know if I want one.

There's no hope for me is there?
punky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006, 14:40   #35
kronas
Inactive

kronas is cast in bronzekronas is cast in bronzekronas is cast in bronzekronas is cast in bronze
kronas is cast in bronzekronas is cast in bronzekronas is cast in bronzekronas is cast in bronze

stock alert

amazon is receiving additional units from nintendo, a one hour sale starts 3pm today and finishes 4pm, for those of you who cant get one.

link:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Nintendo-Wii.../dp/B0007UATDG

also i have been reliably informed that certain gamestations have recieved over 100 units each, tescos has also recieved between 30-50 units per store
kronas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006, 16:43   #36
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

So far so good. The control is already 2nd nature and Is so useful for using the menus and such on the Wii.

Virtal Console is great as well, but i think europe is missing a few games
Damien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006, 19:02   #37
NEONKNIGHT

Quote:
Originally Posted by punky View Post
Must admit, I am a bit jealous now... Even though I still don't know if I want one.

There's no hope for me is there?
None!
Old 08-12-2006, 19:07   #38
Downloads
Inactive

Downloads has entered a golden reputation eraDownloads has entered a golden reputation eraDownloads has entered a golden reputation eraDownloads has entered a golden reputation eraDownloads has entered a golden reputation eraDownloads has entered a golden reputation eraDownloads has entered a golden reputation eraDownloads has entered a golden reputation eraDownloads has entered a golden reputation eraDownloads has entered a golden reputation eraDownloads has entered a golden reputation era
Send a message via ICQ to Downloads Send a message via MSN to Downloads

Got mine too and was offered £50 on top of my purchase price to give it up immediately. Told them where to go of course.

People were getting arsey at not being given one without pre-ordering, muppets.
Downloads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006, 21:01   #39
Jarandco
Inactive

Services: NTL 2 MEG
Jarandco has entered a golden reputation eraJarandco has entered a golden reputation eraJarandco has entered a golden reputation eraJarandco has entered a golden reputation eraJarandco has entered a golden reputation eraJarandco has entered a golden reputation eraJarandco has entered a golden reputation eraJarandco has entered a golden reputation eraJarandco has entered a golden reputation eraJarandco has entered a golden reputation eraJarandco has entered a golden reputation era
Send a message via MSN to Jarandco

Got mine! Its great fun!
Jarandco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006, 22:07   #40
Gareth
cf.mega poster

Got mine... wrapped-up and hidden away till the 25th
Old 09-12-2006, 00:12   #41
kronas
Inactive

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/UK-Nintendo-Wi...QQcmdZViewItem
kronas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 00:22   #42
Strzelecki
Inactive

Services: 80/20Mbps FTTC on Freeola
Strzelecki has reached the bronze age
Strzelecki has reached the bronze ageStrzelecki has reached the bronze ageStrzelecki has reached the bronze ageStrzelecki has reached the bronze ageStrzelecki has reached the bronze ageStrzelecki has reached the bronze ageStrzelecki has reached the bronze ageStrzelecki has reached the bronze ageStrzelecki has reached the bronze ageStrzelecki has reached the bronze ageStrzelecki has reached the bronze age

Well I am slighly peeved. Pre-ordered mine from Play ages ago, called them twice in the last month to update the card details and they assured me both times I would get one. Of course they let preorders go way over their quota and one didn't get dispatched to me yesterday, no email, no explaination. Some people did get an email saying they wouldn't get theirs back in Novemeber. Just to rub it in they sent me the Monkey Ball part of my order, for what!?
Strzelecki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 10:06   #43
NEONKNIGHT

Arrow Re: The nintendo wii media and information thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kronas View Post
A winning bid of £735 This time next year they won't be able to give 'em away....

---------- Post added at 10:06 ---------- Previous post was at 09:38 ----------

A nice un-biased report here from the BBC:-

Quote:
Nintendo says it wants to revolutionise gaming with its Wii console. Gamers can now control the action with a motion sensitive remote control, called the Wiimote - but does the novelty wear off quickly?

Included with every Nintendo Wii is a copy of Wii Sports, comprising five different sporting activities - tennis, baseball, bowling, boxing and golf.

In an age of high-definition gaming with photo-realistic character models and intricately-realised buildings and models, it is a real throwback to put a Wii disk into the machine and see the cute, colourful graphics with crudely drawn figures and decidedly retro look to the interface.

The Wii is certainly no visual powerhouse and the limitations of the images are shown up even further when played on a HD television.

But for the vast majority of gamers with standard definition TVs, the Wii's limitations graphically can be overlooked if the games themselves are fun and involving.

The different sports are a mixed bag of entertainment - all are fun in their own way but some are clearly more involving than others.

Gone are the days when you would have to learn a series of complex button combinations to pull off that sliced volley, home run or chip shot; instead the Wiimote can be used as a virtual bat or boxing glove.

Gamers are advised to fasten the safety strap to their wrist and it is advice worth following - during hectic sessions the Wiimote can easily slip out of your hand.

And it is worth making sure you have plenty of room in which to play: my wife and I literally came to blows when boxing and I managed to swipe a lamp shade during one frenetic tennis match.

WII SPORTS

Format: Nintendo Wii
Graphics: 6
Sound: 7
Gameplay: 8
Enduring appeal: 6
Overall: 7

The sport games are more mini-games than fully-featured titles. There is a disappointingly limited range of options for each sport - just one course for golf, no variation in the bowling or baseball games and only a few rounds of action in the boxing.

The success of the games stands and falls on the ability to truly control the on-screen action with the Wiimote and in this regard the Wii is a mixed success.

There is a learning curve with all new games and control systems but I had the distinct impression that often the action on the screen was only loosely connected to how I used the controller.

For a game bundled with the console, Wii Sports does a great job of introducing people to the concept of using the new controller without ever really pushing the envelope.

Certainly it will prove to be an entertaining party game - and it has the distinction of being the first videogame I have ever managed to persuade my wife to play.

She was impressed with the simplicity of the controller but often frustrated that a swipe of the remote did not always translate into a stunning backhand or long, straight drive.

But she was playing games. And if Nintendo can persuade my wife to play games then winning over the world's non-gamers should be straightforward.
Link:-http://newsvote.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/techn...te=ON#vote_wii

Old 09-12-2006, 23:23   #44
Gareth
cf.mega poster

This is a good idea...

http://wiinintendo.net/2006/12/05/wi...ts-experiment/

Seriously, I can see how the Wii could help in combating teenage obesity. Teenagers don't like doing exercise, but playing video games is always popular, so combining the two means it's a win-win situation
Old 10-12-2006, 16:03   #45
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

You do feel like your exercising when playing wii sports anyway
Damien is offline   Reply With Quote