Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Police to get tough on internet trolls.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs

Police to get tough on internet trolls.

Old 19-01-2022, 14:34   #1246
Carth
cf.mega poster

Carth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze array
Carth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze array
Re: Police to get tough on internet trolls.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
It's you that's trolling with your snide and unnecessary remarks.
No, I don't think so Richard.
Considering the constant reminders about your disability, you obviously have access to, and probably membership of, many varied sites relating to the online abuse of the disabled and hate crimes in general.

I'm simply questioning why you think the information you seek regarding the misogyny question would get you a better answer here than any of those other sites.
Carth is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 19-01-2022, 14:53   #1247
Russ
cf.mega poster

Russ has a golden aura
Russ has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carth View Post

I'm simply questioning why you think the information you seek regarding the misogyny question would get you a better answer here than any of those other sites.
Seconded. It sounded more to me like an attempt to get the subject of Misandry discussed but strangely for someone else to go first.

Vote #AnyoneButTory
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2022, 16:42   #1248
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

More to the point, is it really relevant to "Police to get tough on internet trolls."

Lets try and stick to the subject.

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2022, 14:09   #1249
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

Quote:
No, I don't think so Richard.
Considering the constant reminders about your disability, you obviously have access to, and probably membership of, many varied sites relating to the online abuse of the disabled and hate crimes in general.

The problem here is that you are erroneously treating your assumptions as correct.

As I have previously explained, it's to let people know of the limitations that disability causes to enable them to take a holistic approach when dealing with the disabled.

---------- Post added at 13:02 ---------- Previous post was at 12:59 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ View Post
Seconded. It sounded more to me like an attempt to get the subject of Misandry discussed but strangely for someone else to go first.
That's the term for the male equivalent, yes. I couldn't think of it at the time- thank you.

Only misogyny was mentioned, but to not also include misandry would be as ridiculous as saying that racism only applies to people of colour and sexism only applies to women.

---------- Post added at 13:09 ---------- Previous post was at 13:02 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post
More to the point, is it really relevant to "Police to get tough on internet trolls."

Lets try and stick to the subject.
Upon hearing this, my thinking was that if misogyny and/or misandry do end up becoming classed as hate crimes, it would be highly unlikely that they wouldn't be included in the legislation currently being considered in order to deal with the trolling of people based on their gender.

Since nobody here appears to have heard anything about this, i'll ask my contact at Ofcom when I feel a little better.
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2022, 16:57   #1250
Carth
cf.mega poster

Carth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze array
Carth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze array

Quote:
The problem here is that you are erroneously treating your assumptions as correct.

As I have previously explained, it's to let people know of the limitations that disability causes to enable them to take a holistic approach when dealing with the disabled.
An answer that went nowhere near the question I asked

Quote:
That's the term for the male equivalent, yes. I couldn't think of it at the time- thank you.

Only misogyny was mentioned, but to not also include misandry would be as ridiculous as saying that racism only applies to people of colour and sexism only applies to women.
Lots of 'racism' stuff is ridiculous, it's way over the top in some areas.

Quote:
Upon hearing this, my thinking was that if misogyny and/or misandry do end up becoming classed as hate crimes, it would be highly unlikely that they wouldn't be included in the legislation currently being considered in order to deal with the trolling of people based on their gender.

Since nobody here appears to have heard anything about this, i'll ask my contact at Ofcom when I feel a little better.
Maybe doing that the first time would have been better than asking the question here . . which you apparently 'felt better enough' to do at the time.

Do you have an opinion on 'Midget Gems' . . . or Mini Cheddars, Tiny Tots, Bigger Peas, or books like 'Little Women?
Carth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2022, 21:08   #1251
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
An answer that went nowhere near the question I asked

Lots of 'racism' stuff is ridiculous, it's way over the top in some areas.

Maybe doing that the first time would have been better than asking the question here . . which you apparently 'felt better enough' to do at the time.

Do you have an opinion on 'Midget Gems' . . . or Mini Cheddars, Tiny Tots, Bigger Peas, or books like 'Little Women?
Or transistors….
Old 21-01-2022, 22:46   #1252
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team

Services: VM XL TV,50 MB VM BB,VM landline, Tivo
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura

I decided to look up the definition of trolling.I found it interesting to find some different interpretations to the obvious one of the old fairy tale of trolls living under a bridge.

https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dic...glish/trolling
Old 22-01-2022, 00:51   #1253
Blackshep
cf.addict

Blackshep is a name known to allBlackshep is a name known to allBlackshep is a name known to allBlackshep is a name known to allBlackshep is a name known to allBlackshep is a name known to allBlackshep is a name known to allBlackshep is a name known to all

According to the trick cyclists I have PTSD, clinical depression and acute anxiety syndrome ordinary sawbones have a 6" thick folder full of things that affect me daily and what consideration should any of that get me on the internet absolutely none. It's my choice to interact with other's on the internet and it's my personal responsibility to understand that my experience may not be all rainbows and unicorn farts, it's also my choice where I go on the internet and if I go someplace and have a negative experience I don't go back. What I don't do is threaten anyone, I don't support ridiculous legislative over reach or expect a white knight in any form to come to my rescue and if my personal circumstances intervene in anyway on my interaction on the internet that is my problem not the Internet's or other people's on the internet.

Maggy raises a good point what definition of trolling will be used by this legislation do we rely on our so called representatives to thoroughly research this when the majority of them can't even do their expenses and business dealings accurately. You don't like it Richard but the world isn't a safe place so why should a digital representation of that world be safe everywhere for everyone do you stroll or wheel your way through the bad parts of where you live of course not but you expect to be safe everywhere you go on the internet. As a society we seem to be dumbing down and expecting other's to deal with thing's that we should be personally responsible for and used to be and it's getting out of control.
Blackshep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2022, 02:25   #1254
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggy View Post
I decided to look up the definition of trolling.I found it interesting to find some different interpretations to the obvious one of the old fairy tale of trolls living under a bridge.

https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dic...glish/trolling
I agree that trolling is a problem, but are we clear about what it is?
Old 22-01-2022, 02:45   #1255
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

Ummm, if you are not clear on what it is, how can you agree its a problem ?

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2022, 10:41   #1256
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team

Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post
Ummm, if you are not clear on what it is, how can you agree its a problem ?
Excellent question.
Old 31-01-2022, 12:19   #1257
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=53nRcfosYR0

Rosie Jones who takes the pee constantly about her condition.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=abBi...n%27sGotTalent

Lost Voice Guy who has turned his disability to good ends.

Just two who have turned their disability into a positive.They make their points and promote themselves and others with disabilities. They don't look around to make themselves a special case.They take on the world on their own terms.They are wonderful advocates for equality for the disabled.There are very many more if you care to look around.Indeed one of the most popular TV shows is presented by people with disability and uses humour to make some pretty good points about what it is to be disabled and yet not let it hold them back.

Maybe they should be referenced more by Richard as an example of how to show positivity instead of constant negativity.
Old 31-01-2022, 13:27   #1258
Jaymoss
Just a Geek

Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal
Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=53nRcfosYR0

Rosie Jones who takes the pee constantly about her condition.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=abBi...n%27sGotTalent

Lost Voice Guy who has turned his disability to good ends.

Just two who have turned their disability into a positive.They make their points and promote themselves and others with disabilities. They don't look around to make themselves a special case.They take on the world on their own terms.They are wonderful advocates for equality for the disabled.There are very many more if you care to look around.Indeed one of the most popular TV shows is presented by people with disability and uses humour to make some pretty good points about what it is to be disabled and yet not let it hold them back.

Maybe they should be referenced more by Richard as an example of how to show positivity instead of constant negativity.
Did you see how Rosie was treated by an Uber driver last week? that highlight that no matter how many positives someone can make of their condition they see get faced with prejudice sometimes
Jaymoss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2022, 13:35   #1259
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymoss View Post
Did you see how Rosie was treated by an Uber driver last week? that highlight that no matter how many positives someone can make of their condition they see get faced with prejudice sometimes
Speaking as a woman I know that.However why always underline the negativity?Why not go for the complete positivity in every situation? It's one way of making everyone disabled feel that they can rise above their situation.

There are always horses arses but always letting them set the agenda is no way to improve anything.Abuse of those weaker than yourself is underlining that you feel threatened by disability.

This entire thread is full of negativity about the disabled.It's depressing.

Last edited by Maggy; 31-01-2022 at 13:40.
Maggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2022, 13:44   #1260
Russ
cf.mega poster

Russ has a golden aura
Russ has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden aura

Quote:
Speaking as a woman I know that.However why always underline the negativity?Why not go for the complete positivity in every situation? It's one way of making everyone disabled feel that they can rise above their situation.

There are always horses arses but always letting them set the agenda is no way to improve anything.Abuse of those weaker than yourself is underlining that you feel threatened by disability.

This entire thread is full of negativity about the disabled.It's depressing.
Exactly. No amount of “new initiatives” by the government will change the prejudice in some people. At best you can try to run it underground but that doesn’t change the problem.

Vote #AnyoneButTory
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote