Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Police to get tough on internet trolls.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs

Police to get tough on internet trolls.

Old 08-01-2022, 13:57   #1231
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
Re: Police to get tough on internet trolls.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
Try telling that to. JFMan
A chip on the shoulder is a personality trait.
jfman is online now   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 13-01-2022, 11:10   #1232
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
You said

Once again, you conflate people disagreeing with your propositions/views/ideas with (sometimes in a mocking manner) with them mocking your disability - people responding to your posts treat you no differently (imho) than any other posters they disagree with; some posters are courteous, some are funny, some are sarcastic, and some are quite blunt - these responses are not aimed at your disability, but at your posts.

You seem to have a blind spot about criticism, assuming that any disagreement/negative comments must be personal, when in fact, you are being treated exactly the same as any other poster on CF.
Sorry for the delay in replying, been sleeping for much of the time after new medication.

The thing is that people's posts are affected & influenced by their mental disabilities, so they are one and the same thing, there's been some examples of autism doing this earlier.

If a member developed something like dementia they (I hope) wouldn't be subjected to being mocked, belittled etc for repeating themselves or asking questions which, to others, seem ridiculous. This is why it's a good idea to let people know about any problems that one has to enable them to take them into account whilst nteracting with other people either on or offline.
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2022, 11:23   #1233
Russ
cf.mega poster

Russ has a golden aura
Russ has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post

The thing is that people's posts are affected & influenced by their mental disabilities, so they are one and the same thing,
Please stop trying to sound like an authority about subjects you like to think you’re an expert on.

Some posts can be affected by conditions, other posts won’t be. Neither you or anyone else can be sure which will be which..

Vote #AnyoneButTory
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2022, 11:35   #1234
GrimUpNorth
cf.mega poster

GrimUpNorth has a nice shiny star
GrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Sorry for the delay in replying, been sleeping for much of the time after new medication.

The thing is that people's posts are affected & influenced by their mental disabilities, so they are one and the same thing, there's been some examples of autism doing this earlier.

If a member developed something like dementia they (I hope) wouldn't be subjected to being mocked, belittled etc for repeating themselves or asking questions which, to others, seem ridiculous. This is why it's a good idea to let people know about any problems that one has to enable them to take them into account whilst nteracting with other people either on or offline.
So let me try and get this straight. You're saying the reason you easily take exception to comments and complain we're picking on you because you're disabled is a consequence of your disability so have you considered there could well be nothing wrong with the posts you don't like after all. Is this the same reason you're very quick to threaten forum members with legal action?

Before you start playing the disabled card when someone disagrees with your posts maybe you need to pause for a few minutes and ask yourself if they too have some form of disability that could be influenced by their own disabilities and that they may be doing the same as you and reading something in your posts that isn't there and so replying in a way you don't like but they may not be able to help it?
GrimUpNorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2022, 12:01   #1235
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrimUpNorth View Post
ask yourself if they too have some form of disability that could be influenced by their own disabilities and that they may be doing the same as you and reading something in your posts that isn't there and so replying in a way you don't like but they may not be able to help it?
Exactly, I was diagnosed as a complete Twaat many years ago, and it definitely affects how and what I post.
Old 13-01-2022, 12:39   #1236
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrimUpNorth View Post
So let me try and get this straight. You're saying the reason you easily take exception to comments and complain we're picking on you because you're disabled is a consequence of your disability so have you considered there could well be nothing wrong with the posts you don't like after all. Is this the same reason you're very quick to threaten forum members with legal action?

Before you start playing the disabled card when someone disagrees with your posts maybe you need to pause for a few minutes and ask yourself if they too have some form of disability that could be influenced by their own disabilities and that they may be doing the same as you and reading something in your posts that isn't there and so replying in a way you don't like but they may not be able to help it?
My disability has resulted, amongst other things, in cognitive issues, which I have previously acknowledged.

It is certainly possible that other contributors suffer from various disabilities that affect them and their resultant posts, in fact I have my suspicions that one or two have various conditions which they may not even be aware of themselves (yet).

As children are now more likely to have their conditions picked up at an early age, it isn't unknown for their parents to be diagnosed too. Many say that everything that they've experienced in life all clicks into place and they are relieved to find that it isn't their fault as they've always been told by teachers, employers, their peer group etc.

However, it isn't possible to take these into consideration if they do not declare that they have an issue.

I've said before that I used to think that one of the contributors to this thread was a deeply unpleasant individual, but since he declared that he is on the autistic spectrum, my view of him has changed and I try to be as sympathetic and helpful as I can be.

I have often used dementia as an example in my posts. Whilst I have no proper experience of this as an individual, I have had a taste if what it must feel like.

It's been claimed that about 50% of us will end our lives suffering from this condition; it must be heartbreaking for their loved ones to witness and maybe terrifying for the person themselves. Having episodes where you don't know who you are or where you are is frightening, not even knowing what you are is petrifying.

I'm interested to know how members would react to a long time member who started developing dementia (I think that it's unlikely that they would be capable of posting at all once it became very serious).

Would people be empathetic, helpful and kind, or would they view it as an ideal time to stick the boot in whilst sneering, belittling and humiliating them?
Old 13-01-2022, 14:09   #1237
Carth
cf.mega poster

Carth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze array
Carth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze array

Some people just don't fit into the 'boxes' that society would like us to, we don't follow the crowd, we don't 'conform'.

We have a different perspective on things we see, hear and read, and how we react to those things. We're often not 'team players' and definitely don't belong in the 'yes men' category, we are who we are. If asked our opinion we freely give it, but it's quite likely not the answer people wanted . . . or needed.

Psychoanalysts would probably have a fancy word for us, some mental aberration or other, not that we'd be bothered anyway
Carth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2022, 14:11   #1238
papa smurf
vox populi vox dei

Services: every thing
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carth View Post
Some people just don't fit into the 'boxes' that society would like us to, we don't follow the crowd, we don't 'conform'.

We have a different perspective on things we see, hear and read, and how we react to those things. We're often not 'team players' and definitely don't belong in the 'yes men' category, we are who we are. If asked our opinion we freely give it, but it's quite likely not the answer people wanted . . . or needed.

Psychoanalysts would probably have a fancy word for us, some mental aberration or other, not that we'd be bothered anyway
Leaders mate.
Old 13-01-2022, 14:59   #1239
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by papa smurf View Post
Leaders mate.

---------- Post added at 13:59 ---------- Previous post was at 13:52 ----------

Quote:

Ordinary people have a word (well, quite a few) as well…
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2022, 01:26   #1240
Carth
cf.mega poster

Carth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
Ordinary people have a word (well, quite a few) as well…
and they're quite entitled to use it (or any other), without fear of me reporting them, being sued, beaten up, or even receiving letters from solicitors

buying them a pint may be out of the question though
Old 14-01-2022, 09:55   #1241
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team

Services: VM XL TV,50 MB VM BB,VM landline, Tivo
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura

Quote:
and they're quite entitled to use it (or any other), without fear of me reporting them, being sued, beaten up, or even receiving letters from solicitors

buying them a pint may be out of the question though
Old 19-01-2022, 12:49   #1242
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Has anyone heard anything about making misogyny a hate crime?

I was half asleep when I heard a report about the bill that the Government is putting through to restrict the right to protest going to the House of Lords and it was mentioned then.

I assume that the male equivalent would be included too and that, if passed, it would be included in the Online Harms legislation.
Old 19-01-2022, 13:08   #1243
Carth
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Has anyone heard anything about making misogyny a hate crime?

I was half asleep when I heard a report about the bill that the Government is putting through to restrict the right to protest going to the House of Lords and it was mentioned then.

I assume that the male equivalent would be included too and that, if passed, it would be included in the Online Harms legislation.
I'm sure a person in your 'position' and with the many sources of information open to you, will have better success asking that question on one of the many 'Online Harms' sites/forums that you undoubtedly have access to . . .

. . so why ask here . . unless you're trolling . . . again
Old 19-01-2022, 13:11   #1244
papa smurf
vox populi vox dei

Services: every thing
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
I'm sure a person in your 'position' and with the many sources of information open to you, will have better success asking that question on one of the many 'Online Harms' sites/forums that you undoubtedly have access to . . .

I don't particularly want to hear about it.
Old 19-01-2022, 13:34   #1245
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Quote:

It's you that's trolling with your snide and unnecessary remarks.