Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Possible Sky Arts channel to go Free-To-Air

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Alternatives to Virgin Media > Freesat & Freeview

Possible Sky Arts channel to go Free-To-Air

Old 04-03-2020, 11:36   #1
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

cheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quads
Possible Sky Arts channel to go Free-To-Air

Sky have said they might make Sky Arts Free-To-Air if they can get Freeview carriage.

https://www.rxtvlog.com/2020/03/sky-...h-planned.html

Presumably this could end up on FreeSat too since they have their 3 channels with main multiplex Freeview coverage on FreeSat already.
cheekyangus is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 04-03-2020, 12:04   #2
punkrock101
cf.addict

Services: Sky Q, Freesat, Sky Gigafast FTTP Broadband, Virgin Gig1
punkrock101 will become famous soon enoughpunkrock101 will become famous soon enoughpunkrock101 will become famous soon enough
Re: Possible Sky Arts channel to go Free-To-Air

I can't see them shutting down Sky News on freeview. I think Challenge will be for the chop as its full of 20 year old gameshows.
punkrock101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 13:02   #3
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

It would make sense. Arts is a subject that has a bigger audience among those who are least likely to pay extra for their telly. Sky Arts has a good reputation and expanding brand awareness, and it is probably now at the stage where it can support the Sky brand more effectively by sitting outside the paywall and directing people inwards, rather than sitting inside it and trying to entice people in.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 13:40   #4
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

cheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quads

Given Sky are using Public Service Broadcasting as part of their excuse, Sky News is safe. Pick TV has higher ratings than Challenge, so if they have trouble getting space I agree it's the most likely candidate.

I'd be surprised if they don't get space though, as there are currently multiple free streams on Freeview's main multiplexes, and potentially a few more given SDN recently added a 17th and 18th video stream, which could be replicated on COM5 and COM6.

In my opinion Sky Arts has gone downhill since they axed their 2nd channel, they show much more in the way of Pop Concerts than they used to, and there is less variety of content. And this change coincided with the axing of the 2nd channel.
Old 04-03-2020, 13:54   #5
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

Free culture for the masses ! I'm sure they'll appreciate it...
Mr K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 17:13   #6
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr K View Post
Free culture for the masses ! I'm sure they'll appreciate it...
if you’re being ironic, you’re also being ignorant - there are lots of examples of working class being involved in cultural endeavours; here in Leeds we’ve had the Swarthmore College which been going for over 100 years, and where I was brought up in Glasgow, there was/is the Pearce Institute (and many others), which has been going for around the same length of time (for example, later this month, the PI is showing a festival of graduating student work from the Royal Conservatoire of Scotland's Contemporary Performance Practice programme).

"Working Class" does not equate to "uncultured".
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 23:31   #7
Aguero9320
cf.addict

Services: Sky Q, Netflix, Prime, Disney+, Paramount+, Apple TV+
Aguero9320 is just really niceAguero9320 is just really niceAguero9320 is just really niceAguero9320 is just really niceAguero9320 is just really niceAguero9320 is just really nice

I’ve read rumours this evening that Sky are looking into merging Pick and Blaze into one channel and launching Sky Arts at channel 63. Or Pick remains at 11, Challenge drops to 63 and Sky Arts launches at 46.
Aguero9320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 00:48   #8
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aguero9320 View Post
I’ve read rumours this evening that Sky are looking into merging Pick and Blaze into one channel and launching Sky Arts at channel 63. Or Pick remains at 11, Challenge drops to 63 and Sky Arts launches at 46.
What's your source? I've only see Media Boy suggest it, the wording used didn't give me the impression it was anything other than that. But he didn't give exactly the same info, so you've seen it elsewhere?