Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Probs with my freesat-signal lock failed

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Alternatives to Virgin Media > Freesat & Freeview

Probs with my freesat-signal lock failed

Old 29-09-2015, 23:02   #1
ffan4540
Inactive

ffan4540 is an unknown quantity at this point
Probs with my freesat-signal lock failed

Hi community,
I have recently changed my TV (the current one is much bigger) but for a strange reason the freesat box does not work as it used to.
Scart, HDMI and LNB cables are all connected (HDMI and Scart TV with the Freesat box) and LNB cable (freesat box with the LNB socket). This is exactly how the previous TV used to work.
When I select (clearly the freesat box is on) freesat installation after a few seconds the following message aappears on my screen: Signal lock failed.

I am confident this new TV can work with freesat too as I checked before purchasing it. Any idea why? I do not think I need an ethernet cable but maybe I am wrong. I have already replaced the LNB cable with a brand-new one but the situation has remained unsolved.

Many thanks for all your help

ffan4540
ffan4540 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 30-09-2015, 08:44   #2
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Re: Probs with my freesat-signal lock failed

First of all ... If you have bought a new TV, what prompted you to re-tune the Freesat box? You should have just been able to unplug the old TV and then plug in the new one without altering anything else. Did something else change as well?
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2015, 09:22   #3
arcimedes
cf.mega poster

Services: TV XL ,TiVo X 2, 200Mb Broadband XL phone
arcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond repute

I just tried my old freesat box and it worked perfectly on my TV. Why have you got HDMI and Scart connected to the box? You did get satellite aerial screwed in fully did you?
arcimedes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2015, 09:23   #4
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars

The first suspect would be the F plug on the end of the cable... just make sure that there's no outer braid touching the inner core.

Here's a good site explaining how to fit an F plug http://www.satcure.co.uk/tech/fplugs.htm
Kymmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2015, 10:43   #5
ffan4540
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
First of all ... If you have bought a new TV, what prompted you to re-tune the Freesat box? You should have just been able to unplug the old TV and then plug in the new one without altering anything else. Did something else change as well?
Hi Chris,

I thought I should have re-tuned the Freesat box. I have unplugged and plugged in. Since I noticed the LNB cable seemed broken to me I have replaced it with a new one (same model just longer) which I have plugged in exactly the way I have plugged the previous one. Other than that no other changes. The LNB cable is a dual one as in the past. One part is (socket ) is plugged in TV and the other part in SAT 1 exactly in the past. Any idea of the problem?

Kind Regards
FAUSTA

---------- Post added at 09:43 ---------- Previous post was at 09:33 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcimedes View Post
I just tried my old freesat box and it worked perfectly on my TV. Why have you got HDMI and Scart connected to the box? You did get satellite aerial screwed in fully did you?
Hi Arcimedes,
Many thanks for this reply.
When I bought the previous TV, according to the freesat scheme I found in the TV box I had to plug both scart and HDMI. Yes I did get satellite aerial screwed in fully by using some connectors when I bought my previous TV. I do not really understand why if it worked before it does not work now.

Hope this will help. Please let me know what it is your opinion.

Kind Regards
ffan4540
Old 30-09-2015, 12:32   #6
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by ffan4540 View Post
Hi Chris,

I thought I should have re-tuned the Freesat box. I have unplugged and plugged in. Since I noticed the LNB cable seemed broken to me I have replaced it with a new one (same model just longer) which I have plugged in exactly the way I have plugged the previous one. Other than that no other changes. The LNB cable is a dual one as in the past. One part is (socket ) is plugged in TV and the other part in SAT 1 exactly in the past. Any idea of the problem?

Kind Regards
FAUSTA

---------- Post added at 09:43 ---------- Previous post was at 09:33 ----------

Hi Arcimedes,
Many thanks for this reply.
When I bought the previous TV, according to the freesat scheme I found in the TV box I had to plug both scart and HDMI. Yes I did get satellite aerial screwed in fully by using some connectors when I bought my previous TV. I do not really understand why if it worked before it does not work now.

Hope this will help. Please let me know what it is your opinion.

Kind Regards
ffan4540
If you have a dual LNB, with two cables coming into the house, then both of those cables must be plugged in to the back of the Freesat box. There is no point plugging one into the back of your TV because your TV can't do anything with the signal it receives direct from the LNB.

If you have a Freesat PVR (i.e. one that can record stuff) then it won't function to the best of its ability if you only feed it one cable. In fact, if you feed it only one cable, and then you don't set it up to run in single-tuner mode, it may not work at all.

It sounds to me as if you have performed a full re-set of a Freesat PVR box, but you did not select single-tuner mode during the installation and tuning process. Before we go any further, however, can you tell me the make and model of your Freesat box.
Old 30-09-2015, 12:36   #7
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy in modem mode XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
If you have a dual LNB, with two cables coming into the house, then both of those cables must be plugged in to the back of the Freesat box. There is no point plugging one into the back of your TV because your TV can't do anything with the signal it receives direct from the LNB.
Our Sony Bravia has a built in sat receiver and the F connector for the LNB. I suspect that many new TVs, particularly the smart ones will be so equipped. It's a feature that I have yet to try out.
Old 30-09-2015, 13:22   #8
ffan4540
Inactive

Quote:

If you have a Freesat PVR (i.e. one that can record stuff) then it won't function to the best of its ability if you only feed it one cable. In fact, if you feed it only one cable, and then you don't set it up to run in single-tuner mode, it may not work at all.

It sounds to me as if you have performed a full re-set of a Freesat PVR box, but you did not select single-tuner mode during the installation and tuning process. Before we go any further, however, can you tell me the make and model of your Freesat box.
Hi Chris,
Your comments are correct however using the dual LNB cable was something I was obliged to use . We (all residents of my building) have a satellite dish on our roof. IN order to connect the freesat box I could only connect / plug the LNB cable simultaneusly to TV and Sat 1. Should I only connect the LNB cable to the freesat box on one side and to TV in my socket or to Sat 1 on the other it did not work at all. My freesat box is a Bush one. Do you think I need to change it?
Old 30-09-2015, 13:29   #9
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

What model is your Bush Freesat box? Is there any chance you could share photos of the front and the back of it?
Old 30-09-2015, 13:30   #10
ffan4540
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by heero_yuy View Post
Our Sony Bravia has a built in sat receiver and the F connector for the LNB. I suspect that many new TVs, particularly the smart ones will be so equipped. It's a feature that I have yet to try out.
I have a Seiki TV (which comes with Freeview) but as I said freeview but apparently can be seen with Freesat too.
Old 30-09-2015, 18:13   #11
ffan4540
Inactive

Quote:
What model is your Bush Freesat box? Is there any chance you could share photos of the front and the back of it?
Hi Chris,

Many thanks for your reply. The Bush freesat model is FSA THD.
I have tried so many times to re-tune that I have lost the count. I have attached herewith some pictures of all my connections, TV, socket and freesat box.

20150930_162434_High St.jpg

20150930_162538_Bow Rd.jpg

20150930_162544_High St.jpg

20150930_163341(1).jpg

Any suggestion?
Old 30-09-2015, 20:31   #12
rhyds
Inactive

Services: Plusnet Phone/BB, Freesat, VM Business BB (Cable)
rhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond repute

My first suggestion would be to try output SAT 2, and try both "sides" of the twin cable in turn.

Another issue is that the signal used for Freesat's setup/"signal lock" is not carried on one of the main cluster of satellites, but on one that's slightly away from them. This can cause issues with any satellite dish that isn't 100% aligned.
rhyds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2015, 21:24   #13
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars

The signal lock is also on one polarity. The distribution box though should allow any cable to be any polarity. Check the lnb settings on the bush box as the distribution box may not be set to the same as a universal lnb
Kymmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2015, 21:53   #14
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ffan4540 View Post
Hi Chris,

Many thanks for your reply. The Bush freesat model is FSA THD.
I have tried so many times to re-tune that I have lost the count. I have attached herewith some pictures of all my connections, TV, socket and freesat box.

Attachment 26341

Attachment 26342

Attachment 26343

Attachment 26344

Any suggestion?
Right, so it is a basic Freesat box, requiring only one input from the LNB. I now see what you're meaning about connecting the other cable to the TV. The other socket on the wall plate claims to be providing signal from a terrestrial aerial and is really nothing to do with this issue.

Does the TV socket provide any signal? If you connect direct from the wall socket marked TV, into the back of your TV, can you make it tune in to Freeview (i.e. terrestrial digital, not satellite digital) channels? If you can at least tune your TV into Freeview it will get you going with some telly while you try to solve the Freesat problem.

As others have said, you have two cables to play with there, so try them both to eliminate the possibility that one of them has failed. Try each cable in the pair, and try them in both SAT1 and SAT2. Try all the combinations you can, in order to try to establish which part of your set-up has failed. Also, if you are on friendly terms with one of your neighbours, you could try plugging your Freesat box into their TV/wall socket, or if they have one, let them plug theirs in in your flat.

There are so many different things that can go wrong here but it almost always comes down to a broken cable (usually the plug comes loose and bits of fine copper braid start to short circuit) or a broken LNB (because it gets beaten up by weather and doesn't last forever).
Old 30-09-2015, 21:54   #15
ffan4540
Inactive

Hi Community,
A huge thanks to everybody and a super thanks to Rhyds. A few seconds ago in an attempt to try the Sat 2 option suggested by Rhyds I tried to once again to unplug all cables and plug them back. It seems to work. Many thanks everybody for all your patience and support !
ffan4540