Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Recommendation for sky replacement

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Alternatives to Virgin Media > Freesat & Freeview
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Recommendation for sky replacement

Old 05-12-2014, 23:26   #1
Japp
Inactive

Japp is an unknown quantity at this point
Recommendation for sky replacement

Hi All

Having realised that we're not really using the benefits of our Sky subscription, mainly watching the channels available on Freeview, I've been looking at alternatives. I'd like a player that does the following, in order of preference

1) watch and record Freeview/Freesat HD Channels
2) access Netflix and Amazon video subscriptions
3) play mkv files that will be stored on a NAS (not purchased yet but will do soon)
4) possibly also play back MP3 files from NAS (although considering a Sonos system with money saved from Sky)
5) Blu-Ray / DVD playback - nice to have but not essential by any means.

I'd like to do it all from within one interface, turn TV and player on and select options from there, the family need to be able to operate when I'm not around.

I'm not too concerned with the interface looking too pretty, more concerned with function.

Is there such a player that will do the above? Seen some reports that Samsung Blu-Ray recorders may tick all boxes but getting mixed reviews on that. Anyone got any experience of these?

Thanks in advance all
Japp is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 06-12-2014, 08:44   #2
Scary
Inactive

Services: Size XL 120mg BB Tivo box v+ box
Scary is a pillar of societyScary is a pillar of societyScary is a pillar of societyScary is a pillar of societyScary is a pillar of societyScary is a pillar of societyScary is a pillar of societyScary is a pillar of societyScary is a pillar of societyScary is a pillar of societyScary is a pillar of societyScary is a pillar of societyScary is a pillar of societyScary is a pillar of societyScary is a pillar of societyScary is a pillar of societyScary is a pillar of societyScary is a pillar of societyScary is a pillar of society
Re: Recommendation for sky replacement

have you spoken to sky to reduce your package or see what discount you can get, if your not watching the channels change to the original package and see what discount you can get the retentions number is 03332 022 135 see what they can do.
Scary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 09:09   #3
Japp
Inactive

Yeah have thought about doing that but it seems silly to me to pay for sky, even at a reduced rate if everything is available on Freeview/Freesat.

Thinking about getting rid of sky has also sparked the idea of having our tv, recordings, on demand services and streaming saved files from our NAS in one single interface. Being able to consume all in one place is probably now more the driver for this than saving money on sky
Old 06-12-2014, 09:21   #4
Scary
Inactive

Services: Size XL 120mg BB Tivo box v+ box
Scary is a pillar of societyScary is a pillar of societyScary is a pillar of societyScary is a pillar of societyScary is a pillar of societyScary is a pillar of societyScary is a pillar of societyScary is a pillar of societyScary is a pillar of societyScary is a pillar of societyScary is a pillar of societyScary is a pillar of societyScary is a pillar of societyScary is a pillar of societyScary is a pillar of societyScary is a pillar of societyScary is a pillar of societyScary is a pillar of societyScary is a pillar of society

sky own freesat you can ring them and use your sky box instead of buying one but for the recored facility i think its £10 per month.

on the original pack its £21.50 per month and if you have a good discount available you might be able to get it near £10 and still get more channels.

P.s i work in the retentions team at sky.

the free-sat number is 08442411602
Scary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 09:36   #5
Japp
Inactive

Thanks for the tips Scary, I'll definitely go down that route if I can't find a single box / interface to meet my needs
Old 06-12-2014, 13:50   #6
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy in modem mode XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars

Our new Sony smart HD TV* does all that in the set except blueray. Recording is to USB HDD or memory stick.

Netflix is built in plus a load of apps for things like youtube plus web and LAN browsers.

There's also a built in satellite tuner for freesat etc.

If your thinking of a new set worth a look.

*KDL42W706B
Old 06-12-2014, 16:35   #7
Japp
Inactive

I did think about cutting out the middle man and going for the smart tv but have reservations about the recording functionality. Can you record one show while watching another? Also can you schedule recordings and will the TV need to be left on to record?

Thanks
Old 06-12-2014, 17:23   #8
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy in modem mode XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Japp View Post
I did think about cutting out the middle man and going for the smart tv but have reservations about the recording functionality. Can you record one show while watching another? Also can you schedule recordings and will the TV need to be left on to record?

Thanks
I'm afraid we've only just got it and I'm still finding out how to do some things. We have a separate VM HD box and a Sony DVD-HDD recorder so we have other options for recording.

There is an online copy of the i-manual in pdf that's worth a look if you want to try that route.
Old 06-12-2014, 18:47   #9
Japp
Inactive

Thanks heero_yuy, I'll have a read
Old 06-12-2014, 23:02   #10
nodrogd
cf.mega poster

Services: Maxit + Movies/Sports HD (V6x2), BB350, Anytime Chatter. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG
nodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scary View Post
sky own freesat you can ring them and use your sky box instead of buying one but for the recored facility i think its £10 per month.

on the original pack its £21.50 per month and if you have a good discount available you might be able to get it near £10 and still get more channels.

P.s i work in the retentions team at sky.

the free-sat number is 08442411602
"Sky own freesat"!. No they don't. If you stop paying Sky your box becomes a Free-to-Air satellite receiver, as satellite is an open platform, & Sky just rent transponders from the satellite operator like everyone else. The only thing Sky has control of is the EPG, & the software that allows you to record, which you have to pay to use. So the best option is to look at the channels available on Sky's FTA EPG list, & Freesat's EPG list, as the two do differ, & see what suits you best. Also if you buy a Freesat PVR you can record without paying a subscription.
nodrogd is offline   Reply With Quote