Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Russia has invaded Ukraine

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Russia has invaded Ukraine

Old 29-10-2022, 22:19   #2011
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
Re: Russia has invaded Ukraine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
Correct me if I’m wrong, but all of that is included in the 80 billion in my previous link.

Which, although impressive, is not definitive.
How much of it is being underwritten with a nudge and a wink from Langley.

If America can’t commit to replacing this equipment in a timely fashion, the speed at which it’s being donated will naturally decline.
jfman is online now   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 29-10-2022, 22:25   #2012
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
It may well be, but you’re asking for evidence of motivation, and that is absolutely evidence of motivation. IIRC the arrangement was agreed last month and carried out this week.

I think the commitment and direction is evident.
I would like to assert now on record, for avoidance of any doubt, I am not a Russian apologist. I know how these things go. I am just giving my view on this as an interested spectator.

I’m not asking for evidence of anything. I just don’t think that the EU & US will be willing to pump in a 160 Billion per annum to finance it, indefinitely.

---------- Post added at 22:25 ---------- Previous post was at 22:22 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
How much of it is being underwritten with a nudge and a wink from Langley.

If America can’t commit to replacing this equipment in a timely fashion, the speed at which it’s being donated will naturally decline.
Well at least 50% is US.
Old 29-10-2022, 22:31   #2013
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:
I would like to assert now on record, for avoidance of any doubt, I am not a Russian apologist. I know how these things go. I am just giving my view on this as an interested spectator.

I’m not asking for evidence of anything. I just don’t think that the EU & US will be willing to pump in a 160 Billion per annum to finance it, indefinitely.
Unfortunately unless you believe that Ukraine can win, and must win, in a way that can be interpreted as nothing other than a win, plus regime change in Moscow that makes you a card-carrying apologist.

I don’t make the rules.
Old 29-10-2022, 23:51   #2014
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
Unfortunately unless you believe that Ukraine can win, and must win, in a way that can be interpreted as nothing other than a win, plus regime change in Moscow that makes you a card-carrying apologist.

I don’t make the rules.
No, but you just made that up…
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2022, 23:59   #2015
jfman
Architect of Ideas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
No, but you just made that up…
Depends who you ask I suppose. Although I do have doubts over the existence of membership cards.

It's just quite bizarre that the discourse is such that Pierre feels the need to point it out for merely acknowledging victory could - merely could - be beyond Ukraine and somewhat dependant upon continuing support from the third parties, including the United States. Something that the good people of Afghanistan and Iraq might have a view over the usefulness of in the long run.

It's even more bizarre that here I am sticking up for Pierre.

I did laugh at an earlier post telling us that Russia portrays the West as the perpetual bogey man. It was just the other day I was listening to a Conservative MP (upon the coronation of Rishi Sunak as PM) on Sky News telling us we are paying more for energy due to "Putin's War" (as opposed to our nation outsourcing it's energy security) and how we are living under a nuclear threat!

Last edited by jfman; 30-10-2022 at 00:08.
Old 30-10-2022, 00:23   #2016
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

It’s as valid a point as insinuating that anyone who thinks that supporting Ukraine in its battle not to be subsumed as one of the first steps in reinstating the Soviet/Russian hegemony must be a shill for the CIA.

But, as you say, depends who you ask…
Old 30-10-2022, 00:40   #2017
jfman
Architect of Ideas

Quote:
It’s as valid a point as insinuating that anyone who thinks that supporting Ukraine in its battle not to be subsumed as one of the first steps in reinstating the Soviet/Russian hegemony must be a shill for the CIA.

But, as you say, depends who you ask…
On the contrary Hugh. Some of them never saw that hegemony end.
Old 30-10-2022, 00:56   #2018
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Who?

(Besides Putin)
Old 30-10-2022, 09:32   #2019
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:

Fair enough, and I never took you for one. There is however a widespread assumption that Russia is a great power, fed by decades of Russian propaganda and (it now turns out) incorrect assumptions on the part of Western experts. These are the ones who had no concept of Ukraine lasting more than a week or so, last February.

The idea of the mighty Russian bear is so ingrained in the Western psyche that at every stage of this conflict there has been a tendency to assume Ukraine has done well to get as far as it has, but it’s not going to get much further. I believe your line of thinking doesn’t arise from a desire to be a Putin cheerleader, but simply because your starting point is an internalised set of assumptions about what Russia is, a starting point that all of us have shared for many years and most still do.

It’s only by reading and following this conflict very closely since February that I have become so optimistic of a complete Ukrainian triumph. Some might think I’m obviously just being selective in my reading but I really do believe it’s possible to pull back the curtain on the Russian wizard and discover their narrative is a scam of epic proportions. They are riven with corruption, tactical ineptitude and all the disadvantages of a dictatorial government that is paranoid and highly centralised.

In Ukraine right now they have a barely functional army that is resisting total collapse only by sheer weight of numbers. The mobilised men are untrained, unequipped and in many cases unarmed. They are there to give the Ukrainians something more to shoot at, thereby slowing them down. They are buying primitive drones from Iran because they’ve used most of their own high tech missiles and can’t build more because they rely on imported Western electronics, which they can’t now get hold of. The reality Russia faces right now is that in conventional terms its homeland is effectively defenceless against a suitably motivated adversary. It just doesn’t have the manpower or the equipment to stop it. It is a weakly armed, poorly led terrorist state.

Russia does have a big pile of nuclear weapons and has attempted to leverage fear of those to dissuade Nato from supporting Ukraine, but in the last week has rowed back on those threats, almost certainly due to ever-more-assertive warnings from China and India. This is where the true long term strategic damage to Russia’s interests will be felt. Russia has been a senior ally to India and saw itself as an equal partner with China. India clearly no longer worries about giving Russia a stern talking to and what of China? Russia is going to find itself a (very) junior partner in that relationship.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2022, 09:43   #2020
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team

Services: VM XL TV,50 MB VM BB,VM landline, Tivo
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura

Quote:
Fair enough, and I never took you for one. There is however a widespread assumption that Russia is a great power, fed by decades of Russian propaganda and (it now turns out) incorrect assumptions on the part of Western experts. These are the ones who had no concept of Ukraine lasting more than a week or so, last February.

The idea of the mighty Russian bear is so ingrained in the Western psyche that at every stage of this conflict there has been a tendency to assume Ukraine has done well to get as far as it has, but it’s not going to get much further. I believe your line of thinking doesn’t arise from a desire to be a Putin cheerleader, but simply because your starting point is an internalised set of assumptions about what Russia is, a starting point that all of us have shared for many years and most still do.

It’s only by reading and following this conflict very closely since February that I have become so optimistic of a complete Ukrainian triumph. Some might think I’m obviously just being selective in my reading but I really do believe it’s possible to pull back the curtain on the Russian wizard and discover their narrative is a scam of epic proportions. They are riven with corruption, tactical ineptitude and all the disadvantages of a dictatorial government that is paranoid and highly centralised.

In Ukraine right now they have a barely functional army that is resisting total collapse only by sheer weight of numbers. The mobilised men are untrained, unequipped and in many cases unarmed. They are there to give the Ukrainians something more to shoot at, thereby slowing them down. They are buying primitive drones from Iran because they’ve used most of their own high tech missiles and can’t build more because they rely on imported Western electronics, which they can’t now get hold of. The reality Russia faces right now is that in conventional terms its homeland is effectively defenceless against a suitably motivated adversary. It just doesn’t have the manpower or the equipment to stop it. It is a weakly armed, poorly led terrorist state.

Russia does have a big pile of nuclear weapons and has attempted to leverage fear of those to dissuade Nato from supporting Ukraine, but in the last week has rowed back on those threats, almost certainly due to ever-more-assertive warnings from China and India. This is where the true long term strategic damage to Russia’s interests will be felt. Russia has been a senior ally to India and saw itself as an equal partner with China. India clearly no longer worries about giving Russia a stern talking to and what of China? Russia is going to find itself a (very) junior partner in that relationship.
Old 30-10-2022, 10:07   #2021
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Attached Images
File Type: jpeg A3BED656-8EAA-4416-B5FA-048E72052907.jpeg (92.5 KB, 102 views)
Old 30-10-2022, 10:22   #2022
jfman
Architect of Ideas

Quote:

Shroedinger’s Russia.

Simultaneously on its knees but ready to reap genocide throughout all of the Baltic states if even an inch of Ukrainian territory is conceded.
Old 30-10-2022, 10:56   #2023
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Pretty sure Crimea is more than inch* of Ukrainian territory…

(*actually 277,000 square km).

Your hyperbole does your argument very little favour - Putin has said he wants Russia to reclaim all its old territories, Russia is committing war crimes in Ukraine as we speak, and the ex-Sov counties would not like that to happen to them, please…
Old 30-10-2022, 11:12   #2024
jfman
Architect of Ideas

Quote:
Pretty sure Crimea is more than inch* of Ukrainian territory…

(*actually 277,000 square km).

Your hyperbole does your argument very little favour - Putin has said he wants Russia to reclaim all its old territories, Russia is committing war crimes in Ukraine as we speak, and the ex-Sov counties would not like that to happen to them, please…
I’m only rehashing the emotive terminology of others.

What Putin says and what Putin has the ability to do are two (or potentially three?) wildly different things depending on what is being proposed.

Russia is indeed committing war crimes that’s why an endless war is entirely undesirable - which was Pierre’s original point.
Old 30-10-2022, 12:47   #2025
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
Shroedinger’s Russia.

Simultaneously on its knees but ready to reap genocide throughout all of the Baltic states if even an inch of Ukrainian territory is conceded.
Not sure who’s suggesting Russia actually has any offensive capability against NATO at the moment. They clearly don’t, and have actually been moving units away from their western frontier to shore up operations inside Ukraine.

NATO military manoeuvres in the Baltics are about speaking the language Putin understands. His invasion was predicated on the belief that Nato is weak, indecisive and internally divided. It’s good politics to ensure he understands that even low-level mischief making would be unwise.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote