Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | The energy crisis

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs
Register FAQ Community Calendar

The energy crisis

Old 01-07-2023, 14:07   #2281
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
Re: The energy crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by joglynne View Post
Our fixed duel fuel contract with Octopus ends at the beginning of September and I'm hoping prices may fall a tad lower before winter hits.

Not looking forward to the price hike we will face when our 2 year fix ends.
I am offered a 12 month fixed with Octopus which is slightly more than I pay on my Flexible Tariff, so I'm sticking on that for now especially as it includes a £150 exit fee.

How does my current Tariff compare to your fixed, I know mine will cost far more?

Flexible Tariff
Electricity
Daily standing charge
42.01p
Unit rate
30.72p per kWh
Gas
Daily standing charge
27.47p
Unit rate
7.40p per kWh

12 month Fixed Tariff offered.
Electricity
Daily standing charge
42.01p
Unit rate
31.37p per kWh
Gas
Daily standing charge
27.47p
Unit rate
7.56 per kWh
Old 01-07-2023, 14:17   #2282
Jaymoss
Just a Geek

Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal
Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoopZ View Post
Big Snip
My Rates are slightly different with Octopus

29.48p/kWh 48.66p/day leccy
7.38p/kWh 27.47p/day Gas

Offer
30.13p/kWh 48.66p/day leccy
7.54p/kWh 27.47p/day Gas

Sticking with Flexible as the Early Exit fees are way to high even to just move to a different Octopus Tariff later

Last edited by Jaymoss; 01-07-2023 at 14:23.
Jaymoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2023, 14:31   #2283
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

My fix from eON is about 5% less than their new variable rate. I took them up on it, since nobody expects energy prices to go anywhere fast and it gives me certainty.
jfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2023, 14:45   #2284
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymoss View Post
My Rates are slightly different with Octopus

29.48p/kWh 48.66p/day leccy
7.38p/kWh 27.47p/day Gas

Offer
30.13p/kWh 48.66p/day leccy
7.54p/kWh 27.47p/day Gas

Sticking with Flexible as the Early Exit fees are way to high even to just move to a different Octopus Tariff later
Why is your standing charge so much more?
Old 01-07-2023, 15:05   #2285
Jaymoss
Just a Geek

Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Why is your standing charge so much more?
Different area innit

With my usage the lower unit rate covers the difference plus a few bits of a penny haha

in fact 7 units = over 9p difference between you and me haha so easy cover the day rate difference

Last edited by Jaymoss; 01-07-2023 at 15:09.
Jaymoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2023, 20:03   #2286
joglynne
Born again teenager.

Services: Maxit TV, M250 Fibre BB. Phone-Anytime Chatter
joglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aura
joglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aura

Quote:
I am offered a 12 month fixed with Octopus which is slightly more than I pay on my Flexible Tariff, so I'm sticking on that for now especially as it includes a £150 exit fee.

How does my current Tariff compare to your fixed, I know mine will cost far more?

Flexible Tariff
Electricity
Daily standing charge
42.01p
Unit rate
30.72p per kWh
Gas
Daily standing charge
27.47p
Unit rate
7.40p per kWh

12 month Fixed Tariff offered.
Electricity
Daily standing charge
42.01p
Unit rate
31.37p per kWh
Gas
Daily standing charge
27.47p
Unit rate
7.56 per kWh
This ismy current fix with Octopus.
Attached Images
File Type: png Copy of octopus prices 30.06.2023.png (226.5 KB, 24 views)
Old 01-07-2023, 20:16   #2287
Jaymoss
Just a Geek

Quote:
blooming heck you did so well. Saved a fortune
Old 01-07-2023, 20:29   #2288
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

Quote:
You got your timing perfect.
Old 01-07-2023, 22:49   #2289
Ms NTL
cf.geek

Ms NTL is a pillar of societyMs NTL is a pillar of societyMs NTL is a pillar of societyMs NTL is a pillar of societyMs NTL is a pillar of societyMs NTL is a pillar of societyMs NTL is a pillar of societyMs NTL is a pillar of societyMs NTL is a pillar of societyMs NTL is a pillar of societyMs NTL is a pillar of societyMs NTL is a pillar of societyMs NTL is a pillar of societyMs NTL is a pillar of societyMs NTL is a pillar of societyMs NTL is a pillar of societyMs NTL is a pillar of societyMs NTL is a pillar of societyMs NTL is a pillar of society

Leccy tomorrow 8am-6pm , negative all the time up to -15p, All I can do is switch all lights on.....

Hovering, washing, mowing, emersion heater, washing, drying all done today.....with a miserable -2p leccy.

Agile Octopus.

My kids just told me :Southampton -19p/Kwh Bournemouth -24p/Kwh

Last edited by Ms NTL; 01-07-2023 at 22:59.
Ms NTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2023, 22:52   #2290
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms NTL View Post
Leccy tomorrow 8am-6pm , negative all the time up to -15p, All I can do is switch all lights on.....

Hovering, washing, mowing, emersion heater, washing, drying all done today.....with a miserable -2p leccy.

Agile Octopus.
I mean that's the whole point of the tariff. They wouldn't be paying you if they actually thought you could go crazy with it.
Old 01-07-2023, 23:15   #2291
Ms NTL
cf.geek

Ms NTL is a pillar of societyMs NTL is a pillar of societyMs NTL is a pillar of societyMs NTL is a pillar of societyMs NTL is a pillar of societyMs NTL is a pillar of societyMs NTL is a pillar of societyMs NTL is a pillar of societyMs NTL is a pillar of societyMs NTL is a pillar of societyMs NTL is a pillar of societyMs NTL is a pillar of societyMs NTL is a pillar of societyMs NTL is a pillar of societyMs NTL is a pillar of societyMs NTL is a pillar of societyMs NTL is a pillar of societyMs NTL is a pillar of societyMs NTL is a pillar of society

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
I mean that's the whole point of the tariff. They wouldn't be paying you if they actually thought you could go crazy with it.
Indeed, that's the case....
Old 01-07-2023, 23:40   #2292
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms NTL View Post

Agile Octopus.

My kids just told me :Southampton -19p/Kwh Bournemouth -24p/Kwh
You're single handedly making me consider getting a smart meter installed.
Old 02-07-2023, 00:04   #2293
jfman
Architect of Ideas

Quote:
The real question isn't what they pay you in summer, when the sun is out and the wind is blowing. It's what they charge you in deepest darkest winter when the boiler is on 12 hours a day.
Old 02-07-2023, 09:57   #2294
Ms NTL
cf.geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
The real question isn't what they pay you in summer, when the sun is out and the wind is blowing. It's what they charge you in deepest darkest winter when the boiler is on 12 hours a day.
The formula is public, Octopus charges market prices (attached).

Last winter, January onwards, there were over 50 LPG boats parked around Britain, (UK has no serious gas storage facilties) and as a result the gas prices were 5p on the Octopus Gas tracker.. (This was reported on some Octopus forums)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg download (10).jpg (214.4 KB, 5 views)
Old 02-07-2023, 10:09   #2295
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
And making me more peeved about not having working ones.

I have mentioned before how we have had them for years but they never worked because they couldn't get a mobile signal. Anyway, EDF recently contacted us to say they wanted to replace them with the next generation meters to solve the problem. Yay.

Anyway, on Tuesday man comes out to do it. Took a look at our appliances, including 23-year old boiler, and warned we might not be able to relight it if he swaps the meter. He also said the new meter wasn't compatible with gas fires over 7kW (though I don't think ours is). Then we mentioned the mobile signal problem. He replied "in that case, these ones won't work either". And with that, he was gone.
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote