Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | The energy crisis

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs
Register FAQ Community Calendar

The energy crisis

Old 02-05-2023, 12:24   #2191
ianch99
cf.mega poster

ianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze array
ianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze array
Re: The energy crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymoss View Post
Is that factoring any subsidy though because if you factor in the subsidy we have all had the prices are not much different

Just edited the image to what we have actually had to pay like what they have actually had to pay I believe

April 22 I was paying 26p per KWH which is actually lower than the EU average according to your graph as it goes so the whole graph is flawed. If you add 12 months it is more accurate

But from what I understand, you are are not on the standard variable tariff so how is your experience representative of the vast majority of the country?
Old 02-05-2023, 12:29   #2192
Jaymoss
Just a Geek

Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal
Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianch99 View Post
But from what I understand, you are are not on the standard variable tariff so how is your experience representative of the vast majority of the country?
oh contraire. I am on Avro Octopus which is their standard tariff for ex Avro customers. I procrastinated to much and missed the boat on the tracker and can not have it now as I do not have a Smart Meter. I just looked at my Bills and up till December 22 the unit rate was 48p and did not go up to 63p till January so your graph is totally wrong what we actually pay now is around 32 to 33p. Check your bills I am sure you will see

Countries like France also bring down the EU average. A quick Google finds France Electric unit rate is only .2 Euro less than 20p Damn EDF hahaha

Last edited by Jaymoss; 02-05-2023 at 12:34.
Jaymoss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2023, 12:31   #2193
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
oh contraire. I am on Avro Octopus which is their standard tariff for ex Avro customers. I procrastinated to much and missed the boat on the tracker and can not have it now as I do not have a Smart Meter. I just looked at my Bills and up till December 22 the unit rate was 48p and did not go up to 63p till January so your graph is totally wrong. Check your bills I am sure you will see
I don't think that graph is meant to be one person's personal experience mate, it's an average.
1andrew1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2023, 12:35   #2194
Jaymoss
Just a Geek

Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post
I don't think that graph is meant to be one person's personal experience mate, it's an average.
I am on the standard tariff nearly everyone is on the standard tariff so how am I just giving personal experience. My rates are the same as your rates or within a gnats dangly bits of it

We are all getting the same price cut by el gov. If you are paying 60+p per KWH then you really really need to ask why
Old 02-05-2023, 12:39   #2195
Chrysalis
cf.mega poster

Services: Gig1, Hub 5
Chrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronze
Chrysalis is cast in bronze

It must be including business rates, as the SVR is way below the graph shown.
Chrysalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2023, 12:43   #2196
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrysalis View Post
It must be including business rates, as the SVR is way below the graph shown.
It also does say household electricity so not business.

Quote:
I am on the standard tariff nearly everyone is on the standard tariff so how am I just giving personal experience. My rates are the same as your rates or within a gnats dangly bits of it

We are all getting the same price cut by el gov. If you are paying 60+p per KWH then you really really need to ask why
I think it must include standing charges which is fair enough. Perhaps this is what PPS adjusted means?

Last edited by 1andrew1; 02-05-2023 at 12:46.
1andrew1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2023, 12:49   #2197
ianch99
cf.mega poster

ianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze array

Here's a more up-to-date analysis:

https://www.euronews.com/next/2023/0...-electricity-a

The UK is 3rd highest for residential electricity prices including taxes (February 2023) at 48.5 compared to EU average of 28.3. There is also a PPS adjusted value: 41.5 v. 30.8

The main thing is that wholesale price has long since dropped to the start of the Ukraine war levels but the current price we pay has just gone up. We're being ripped off.

---------- Post added at 12:49 ---------- Previous post was at 12:47 ----------

Quote:

I think it must include standing charges which is fair enough. Perhaps this is what PPS adjusted means?
Quote:
Electricity prices according to purchasing power standards (PPS)

PPS is an artificial currency unit that eliminates general price level differences between countries. Theoretically, one PPS can buy the same amount of goods and services in every country.
Old 02-05-2023, 12:51   #2198
Jaymoss
Just a Geek

Quote:
Here's a more up-to-date analysis:

https://www.euronews.com/next/2023/0...-electricity-a

The UK is 3rd highest for residential electricity prices including taxes (February 2023) at 48.5 compared to EU average of 28.3. There is also a PPS adjusted value: 41.5 v. 30.8

The main thing is that wholesale price has long since dropped to the start of the Ukraine war levels but the current price we pay has just gone up. We're being ripped off.

---------- Post added at 12:49 ---------- Previous post was at 12:47 ----------

No one in the UK has had to pay that figure due to government subsidies are they factored into the other prices or are they showing what they actually pay ?

France for example put a price rise cap of 15% so their prices are subsidised. What I think we are seeing is a biased graph that is showing our unsubsidised rate against some others subsidised

The new graph is not even right either . Feb 2023 UK unsubsidised prices were in excess of 60p and we paid 32 to 33p December it was around 40 to 45p. The graphs you are posting I am sorry to say are bollocks

You clearly have no idea on how the energy prices are calculated. They are calculated wrong due to the link between electricity and gas and green electric is not factored in yet. The prices for energy now are paying for energy bought in the past not the present. Cornwall insights has the estimated cap down to 2K from just fluctuating a little from October

Last edited by Jaymoss; 02-05-2023 at 13:00.
Old 02-05-2023, 17:12   #2199
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
oh contraire. I am on Avro Octopus which is their standard tariff for ex Avro customers. I procrastinated to much and missed the boat on the tracker and can not have it now as I do not have a Smart Meter. I just looked at my Bills and up till December 22 the unit rate was 48p and did not go up to 63p till January so your graph is totally wrong what we actually pay now is around 32 to 33p. Check your bills I am sure you will see

Countries like France also bring down the EU average. A quick Google finds France Electric unit rate is only .2 Euro less than 20p Damn EDF hahaha
What is that 63p unit rate that you said went up in January as my Octopus unit rate is 33.98 for electric?
Old 02-05-2023, 17:40   #2200
Jaymoss
Just a Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoopZ View Post
What is that 63p unit rate that you said went up in January as my Octopus unit rate is 33.98 for electric?
That is the unit rate as per the real energy price cap not the government energy cap of £2500 if you look at your bills (if you have one yet) you will see both rates are there

You will see the April rates drops back down to 47p ish Julys rate is expected to be around the 28p mark means it is lower then the government cap and we pay the lower fee
Attached Images
File Type: png Untitled.png (44.7 KB, 4 views)

Last edited by Jaymoss; 02-05-2023 at 17:45.
Old 02-05-2023, 19:07   #2201
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

Quote:

Nope. https://ec.europa.eu/eurostat/statis...)&oldid=211655
pip08456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2023, 19:59   #2202
ianch99
cf.mega poster

Quote:
No one in the UK has had to pay that figure due to government subsidies are they factored into the other prices or are they showing what they actually pay ?

France for example put a price rise cap of 15% so their prices are subsidised. What I think we are seeing is a biased graph that is showing our unsubsidised rate against some others subsidised

The new graph is not even right either . Feb 2023 UK unsubsidised prices were in excess of 60p and we paid 32 to 33p December it was around 40 to 45p. The graphs you are posting I am sorry to say are bollocks

You clearly have no idea on how the energy prices are calculated. They are calculated wrong due to the link between electricity and gas and green electric is not factored in yet. The prices for energy now are paying for energy bought in the past not the present. Cornwall insights has the estimated cap down to 2K from just fluctuating a little from October
Well, all the analysis I read is where the UK has one of the highest real terms Electricity costs in the world. Clearly they are all wrong and you are right. Respect ....
Old 02-05-2023, 20:19   #2203
Jaymoss
Just a Geek

Quote:
Well, all the analysis I read is where the UK has one of the highest real terms Electricity costs in the world. Clearly they are all wrong and you are right. Respect ....
The figures I have given are correct. The graph I edited is close to correct to what we pay now. so thank you for the respect even though it was given with a slice of sarcasm. Check your bills then come back and eat some humble pie
Old 02-05-2023, 21:00   #2204
ianch99
cf.mega poster

Quote:
The figures I have given are correct. The graph I edited is close to correct to what we pay now. so thank you for the respect even though it was given with a slice of sarcasm. Check your bills then come back and eat some humble pie
So you think our Electricity prices are the same as the EU average? Interesting ...

https://moneyweek.com/personal-finan...prices-go-down

Quote:
The latest predictions from analysts at Cornwall Insight suggest the average typical household energy bill in Q3 (July - September) will be £2,024 - 19% below the government's Energy Price Guarantee (EPG).

It then predicts in Q4 (October - December) energy bills could be around £2,076 for an average household based on typical use; this is a slight rise from the summer rate, but still 17% lower than the EPG.

And to add to the mix, Investec predicts Ofgem’s energy price cap could be set at £1,981 for Q3 and £1,966 in Q4.

This is welcome news, particularly given that the UK has the world’s sixth highest most expensive price for energy per kilowatt.

At 39p, it’s nearly double the European average of 23p, research by The Underfloor Heating Store.
I shall be passing on the location of the Humble Pie store to these good folks at moneyweek.com
Old 02-05-2023, 21:20   #2205
Jaymoss
Just a Geek

Quote:
So you think our Electricity prices are the same as the EU average? Interesting ...

https://moneyweek.com/personal-finan...prices-go-down

I shall be passing on the location of the Humble Pie store to these good folks at moneyweek.com
According to the graph that you originally posted. At that point in time all I had in front of me was the average price that you posted !! see what I mean about you always wanting a fight?

Plus very few people will be paying 39p Look at your bill tell me what you are paying please

---------- Post added at 21:13 ---------- Previous post was at 21:10 ----------

Quote:
This is alarming but not unexpected:

This graph has the EU average looking around 28p and the UK prices 32p for me anyway so not far off. The new cap prices will be around the same price as the graph you originally posted from July

Your graph clearly shows the EU average way over the 25 p line so not the 23p you are now posting to justify your BS

---------- Post added at 21:20 ---------- Previous post was at 21:13 ----------

Just for reference I do not think I stated the UK is paying the same as the EU average. i think all I actually did was modify the graph you posted to show realistic figures for the UK as in what we pay.

Last edited by Jaymoss; 02-05-2023 at 21:18.