Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | GB News / Talk TV

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs
Register FAQ Community Calendar

GB News / Talk TV

Old 30-09-2023, 11:39   #916
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
Re: GB News / Talk TV

So you condone censorship, as long as it's people you don't agree with - got it.

I'm quite sure she went on to say she disagreed with the Farage milkshake incident, I fail to see what's actually objectionable. It's just more whataboutery because the lads at GB News are all getting sacked.
jfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 30-09-2023, 11:50   #917
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick View Post
And the pathetic Channel 4, Guardian are hard left Labour pieces & nut jobs. Do you actually have a point Ian, or do you just enjoy chatting lefty shitty soundbites as usual? .
GB News undermines itself by having serving MPs host its programmes and act as shock jocks. News channels from the BBC and Sky just do not do this.

In terms of nut jobs, the best example of of this I've seen was the unchallenged interview with the deranged Naomi Wolf. She claimed that the vaccine roll-out was comparable with the actions of “doctors in pre-Nazi Germany”. No prizes for guessing which channel that was on!
1andrew1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2023, 13:01   #918
Russ
cf.mega poster

Russ has a golden aura
Russ has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden aura

Quote:
I see the usual whinging members of this channel, still whining about it, it’s easy, don’t watch it.
And that exactly sums it up for me. I wouldn't s**t over my self-dignity by wasting my time watching that pathetic excuse of a channel. They cater to a particular section of the audience out there, so for those who like that kind of thing, that's the kind of thing they like.

But when they stir up a hornet's nest (sometimes accidentally, no doubt occasionally deliberately) it ends up getting reported on other channels and media.

So whereas advising us to not watch GB News is one option, that isn't really a sensible or viable way to stop seeing/hearing people "whinging". If you (generically, not personally) choose to watch a channel/show/presenter who makes contentious points then you're just going to have to accept people are going to criticise them, the show or the channel.

Vote #AnyoneButTory
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2023, 13:10   #919
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

Quote:
And the pathetic Channel 4, Guardian are hard left Labour pieces & nut jobs. Do you actually have a point Ian, or do you just enjoy chatting lefty shitty soundbites as usual?
You should apply to be a replacement presenter Mick, you sound like you'd fit in there

( don't recall C4 being investigated by Ofcom as much for continually breaking the rules )
Mr K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2023, 13:48   #920
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post
I said independent professional journalists. They can be right-wing journalists like Andrew Neill but they need to be independent by not being an MP nor holding a position of power in a political party.

I'm not sure that because GB News oversteps the boundaries quite a lot (qv Fox and Wootton recently) and therefore attracts complaints, we have to compensate for that incompetence by allowing politicians of one party to interview one another to provide a level playing field of judicial fairness.

Well, you didn’t. You said ‘an independent media’ - different things. What you also didn’t say was ‘…an independent media (as in not the BBC) …’ .

But you were clearly pointing at journalists, so I understand your point, at least in respect of Fox. But if the lefties would have their way, there’d be no voice for, e.e. Farage. That’s not democratic.

My advice is at your risk.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2023, 17:30   #921
Mick
Cable Forum Team

Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star
Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ View Post
And that exactly sums it up for me. I wouldn't s**t over my self-dignity by wasting my time watching that pathetic excuse of a channel. They cater to a particular section of the audience out there, so for those who like that kind of thing, that's the kind of thing they like.

But when they stir up a hornet's nest (sometimes accidentally, no doubt occasionally deliberately) it ends up getting reported on other channels and media.

So whereas advising us to not watch GB News is one option, that isn't really a sensible or viable way to stop seeing/hearing people "whinging". If you (generically, not personally) choose to watch a channel/show/presenter who makes contentious points then you're just going to have to accept people are going to criticise them, the show or the channel.
And the Guardian/channel 4 caters to left wing nut jobs.

None of you have addressed its colossal viewing figures compared to other news channels, just stupid snivelling remarks that it must have low viewing figures.

My point still stands, BBC had a dirty secret for years re: Saville, so they should shut down because whatever GBNews has done, it pales in to insignificance compared to BBC.

---------- Post added at 17:23 ---------- Previous post was at 17:20 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
So you condone censorship, as long as it's people you don't agree with - got it.

I'm quite sure she went on to say she disagreed with the Farage milkshake incident, I fail to see what's actually objectionable. It's just more whataboutery because the lads at GB News are all getting sacked.
I condemn nonces that the BBC failed to act on for decades. But good to see your ignorance in full flow.

---------- Post added at 17:30 ---------- Previous post was at 17:23 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr K View Post
You should apply to be a replacement presenter Mick, you sound like you'd fit in there

( don't recall C4 being investigated by Ofcom as much for continually breaking the rules )
Perhaps you should do some research, they had a weirdo on there playing a musical instrument with his penis. That went beyond any common decency.

Oh and one of their News presenters was caught in an off guarded expletive beginning with C against an MP.
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2023, 17:33   #922
Russ
cf.mega poster

Russ has a golden aura

Quote:
None of you have addressed its colossal viewing figures compared to other news channels, just stupid snivelling remarks that it must have low viewing figures.
I didn’t realise we were required to address that point but I’ll have a go. The Sun is the most popular paper in the UK, does that automatically mean it’s any good?

It may well have high figures - I’m not interested enough in the channel to find out. So they tap in to the zeitgeist held by a number of people. Again, just because a large number of people believe something doesn’t automatically mean they’re right or their opinions are correct.

Quote:
My point still stands, BBC had a dirty secret for years re: Saville, so they should shut down because whatever GBNews has done, it pales in to insignificance compared to BBC.
Of course they had many dirty secrets and you’d be hard pushed to find a broadcaster that didn’t/doesnt.

I pretty sure you’re intelligent enough to be aware that the longer an institution has been around, the Law of Averages would suggest the more skeletons in the closet they have. I’m not saying GB News needs to close down (although I wouldn’t miss them if they did) but if we’re both still around come back in about 50 years and see how many dirty secrets they have hoarded.

Vote #AnyoneButTory
Old 30-09-2023, 17:43   #923
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

The straightforward question being avoided by Mick is whether it’s acceptable, on a supposedly credible news broadcast, for a man to speculate on whether he or any other man would have sex with a woman.

Is this really one of the supposed greatest thinkers of right wing politics?

Everything else is irrelevant.
jfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2023, 17:49   #924
Russ
cf.mega poster

Russ has a golden aura

Quote:
The straightforward question being avoided by Mick is whether it’s acceptable, on a supposedly credible news broadcast, for a man to speculate on whether he or any other man would have sex with a woman.
Ah right, I didn’t realise I that (I have little interest in following this thread).

But yes I think that’s a very reasonable expectation of anyone who has attempted to defend GB News.

Vote #AnyoneButTory
Old 30-09-2023, 17:54   #925
Mick
Cable Forum Team

Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star
Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ View Post
I didn’t realise we were required to address that point but I’ll have a go. The Sun is the most popular paper in the UK, does that automatically mean it’s any good?

It may well have high figures - I’m not interested enough in the channel to find out. So they tap in to the zeitgeist held by a number of people. Again, just because a large number of people believe something doesn’t automatically mean they’re right or their opinions are correct.

Of course they had many dirty secrets and you’d be hard pushed to find a broadcaster that didn’t/doesnt.

I pretty sure you’re intelligent enough to be aware that the longer an institution has been around, the Law of Averages would suggest the more skeletons in the closet they have. I’m not saying GB News needs to close down (although I wouldn’t miss them if they did) but if we’re both still around come back in about 50 years and see how many dirty secrets they have hoarded.
You’re missing the point Russ, after the saville scandal to rock the BBC, it should have been shut down or at least, had that stupid archaic law of having a TV license scrapped.
Old 30-09-2023, 17:58   #926
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
You’re missing the point Russ, after the saville scandal to rock the BBC, it should have been shut down or at least, had that stupid archaic law of having a TV license scrapped.
That’s not the point at all. That’s ‘whataboutery’ - trying to dodge the point by moving the debate onto something else.

Laurence Fox’s behaviour was objectively wrong. Dan Wooton’s behaviour was objectively wrong. A news programme employing a card-carrying, office-holding member of the Conservative Party to interview a Conservative government minister is objectively wrong. Nothing the BBC has ever done makes it right.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2023, 18:05   #927
Mick
Cable Forum Team

Quote:

Is this really one of the supposed greatest thinkers of right wing politics?

Everything else is irrelevant.
If you’re asking me if I agree with Lozza’s comments, I don’t, I am just pointing out the rank hypocrisy that exists in this thread, other broadcasters abysmal failings, but GBNews bad.

---------- Post added at 18:05 ---------- Previous post was at 18:00 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
That’s not the point at all. That’s ‘whataboutery’ - trying to dodge the point by moving the debate onto something else.

Laurence Fox’s behaviour was objectively wrong. Dan Wooton’s behaviour was objectively wrong. A news programme employing a card-carrying, office-holding member of the Conservative Party to interview a Conservative government minister is objectively wrong. Nothing the BBC has ever done makes it right.
Wrong. Hiding a nonce should have seen the end off the BBC or the law requiring a license to watch TV.

If it’s ‘whataboutery’ then so be it.
Old 30-09-2023, 18:23   #928
Russ
cf.mega poster

Russ has a golden aura

I’m pretty certain you won’t give 2 shits about this but admitting to “whataboutery” then you’re more or less confessing to skirting the issue but ok

Vote #AnyoneButTory
Old 30-09-2023, 18:27   #929
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
If you’re asking me if I agree with Lozza’s comments, I don’t, I am just pointing out the rank hypocrisy that exists in this thread, other broadcasters abysmal failings, but GBNews bad.

---------- Post added at 18:05 ---------- Previous post was at 18:00 ----------

Wrong. Hiding a nonce should have seen the end off the BBC or the law requiring a license to watch TV.

If it’s ‘whataboutery’ then so be it.
Mick … sorry for teaching granny to suck eggs here, but this is a topic-based discussion forum. There’s nothing hypocritical about sticking to the topic denoted by the thread title. You’re being quite unfair to other posters here, accusing them of moral failing when the only thing they’re manifestly doing is discussing the topic as set.

There’s absolutely nothing stopping anyone starting a thread called ‘cancel the nonce-enabling BBC’ if they want, but nobody should be criticised for not starting that thread.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2023, 18:35   #930
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
And the Guardian/channel 4 caters to left wing nut jobs.

---------- Post added at 17:23 ---------- Previous post was at 17:20 ----------

I condemn nonces that the BBC failed to act on for decades. But good to see your ignorance in full flow.

---------- Post added at 17:30 ---------- Previous post was at 17:23 ----------

Perhaps you should do some research, they had a weirdo on there playing a musical instrument with his penis. That went beyond any common decency.

Oh and one of their News presenters was caught in an off guarded expletive beginning with C against an MP.
I can’t find anything that supports that statement.

According to BARB, the News channels August 2023 viewing figures are as follows

https://www.barb.co.uk/monthly-viewing/

Channel…..Monthly Reach 000’s….%…..Monthly Share%…..Minutes:Seconds
BBC News……………...….9,540….14.96……………………1.03…………..1:35
Sky News…………………..8,632…..12.69…………………..0.81……………1.10
GB News…………………….2,786….…4.37……………………0.62……………0.50

July 2023

https://www.barb.co.uk/monthly-viewing/

Channel…..Monthly Reach 000’s….%…..Monthly Share%…..Minutes:Seconds
BBC News……………...…10,262….16.09……………………1.05…………..1:30
Sky News…………………..8,089....13.54…….……………..0.80……………1.14
GB News…………………….3,195….….4.96……………………0.65..…………1.00

They show GB News to be watched less than BBC News and Sky News (and don’t take into account that most people watch prime time BBC News programmes (at 1pm, 6pm, and 10pm) on BBC1, which is simulcast with BBC News at those times. For instance, the 6pm News on BBC1 on Tuesday 12th September was watched by 3.5 million viewers, and on the Monday and Wednesday of that week, by 3.36 million viewers.

I don’t believe any GB News programme has reached those figures.

https://www.barb.co.uk/viewing-data/...ed-programmes/
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote