Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | wireless router - not working with virgin

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

wireless router - not working with virgin

Old 21-09-2007, 19:55   #1
robertdanmorris
Inactive

robertdanmorris is an unknown quantity at this point
wireless router - not working with virgin

Hi,

so we bought a wireless router, as students we just got a cheap cable modem but theoretically it should work, http://www.tp-link.com/products/product_des.asp?id=3

we then got the modem today, the flat black ntl virgin on es, and set it up and it's working with an ethernet port direct into the computer. but when i plug the ethernet into the wan port on the router, it doesn't work, i can connect to the router but can't gert online, tried wireless and with a wire. i remember when i had ntl at home i had to do something with the dns settings - but no idea what (that was a belkin router). can anyone help? i've tried repowering etc and it isn't that - so was wondering if any of you guys could help?

thanks

Rob

p.s. i've tried looking for similar posts - but can't see any - if it's already been posted i apologise!
robertdanmorris is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 21-09-2007, 20:02   #2
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker

Services: Every Weekend
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling
Re: wireless router - not working with virgin

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertdanmorris View Post
Hi,

so we bought a wireless router, as students we just got a cheap cable modem but theoretically it should work, http://www.tp-link.com/products/product_des.asp?id=3

we then got the modem today, the flat black ntl virgin on es, and set it up and it's working with an ethernet port direct into the computer. but when i plug the ethernet into the wan port on the router, it doesn't work, i can connect to the router but can't gert online, tried wireless and with a wire. i remember when i had ntl at home i had to do something with the dns settings - but no idea what (that was a belkin router). can anyone help? i've tried repowering etc and it isn't that - so was wondering if any of you guys could help?

thanks

Rob

p.s. i've tried looking for similar posts - but can't see any - if it's already been posted i apologise!
so who did you get the cheap cable modem from ?

https://www.macmillan.org.uk/cancer-...bladder-cancer
Sirius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2007, 21:13   #3
Wicked_and_Crazy
cf.mega poster

Wicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny star
Wicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny star
Send a message via MSN to Wicked_and_Crazy Send a message via Yahoo to Wicked_and_Crazy

Can you connect to the interent if connected direct to the modem
Wicked_and_Crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2007, 21:16   #4
MikeyB
cf.geek

Services: BT FTTP, Humax Foxsat HDR Freesat+
MikeyB has much to be proud ofMikeyB has much to be proud ofMikeyB has much to be proud ofMikeyB has much to be proud ofMikeyB has much to be proud ofMikeyB has much to be proud ofMikeyB has much to be proud ofMikeyB has much to be proud ofMikeyB has much to be proud ofMikeyB has much to be proud of

Did you switch the modem off & back on when you plugged the router in?

You need to do this so the modem picks up the router rather than your PC
MikeyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2007, 21:27   #5
robertdanmorris
Inactive

yes it works direct with the modem.

i tried turning it off then back on - modem and router - to no avail.

and i got it from microdirect.co.uk

finally - someone mentioned something about dynamic and static ips?

mean anything to anyone? - if so please help.

thanks
Old 21-09-2007, 21:33   #6
Wicked_and_Crazy
cf.mega poster

Wicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny star
Send a message via MSN to Wicked_and_Crazy Send a message via Yahoo to Wicked_and_Crazy

Where did you get the cheap modem from? They're free from Virgin
Old 21-09-2007, 21:43   #7
robertdanmorris
Inactive

im using the virgin modem! it's the router that isn't working!
Old 21-09-2007, 21:45   #8
Wicked_and_Crazy
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertdanmorris View Post
as students we just got a cheap cable modem but theoretically it should work,
turn it all off

turn on the modem

turn on the router

turn on the PC
Old 21-09-2007, 21:50   #9
robertdanmorris
Inactive

sorry - i meant a cheap router - im not so technically advanced!!

it's this modem, it's the router that won't work.

http://www.ambitbroadband.co.uk/Data...le%20Modem.pdf - modem we got.

http://www.tp-link.com/english/soft/2007731040544.pdf - router with instruction manual.

thanks for your help guys - i appreciate it!
Old 21-09-2007, 21:53   #10
Wicked_and_Crazy
cf.mega poster

have you turned them on in the order listed?

---------- Post added at 21:53 ---------- Previous post was at 21:51 ----------

have you got the modem plugged into the WAN port

are you using a wired connection to the pc?
Old 21-09-2007, 22:04   #11
robertdanmorris
Inactive

tried with and without wire - neither work. unfortunately as it's a student house the modem is in someone elses room behind a locked door -so i have to wait for them to return! but i'll try repowering in the order listen. and yes the modem is plugged into the wan port.
Old 21-09-2007, 22:08   #12
Wicked_and_Crazy
cf.mega poster

when you get access to it, try getting a wired cnnection to work first, its simpler
Old 21-09-2007, 22:23   #13
robertdanmorris
Inactive

i tried wired - also didn't work. if i get a wired and wireless isn't working - is that also repairable?
Old 23-09-2007, 17:34   #14
robertdanmorris
Inactive

tried turning it off in that order, and cloning router - still no success. any ideas?
Old 23-09-2007, 19:07   #15
Dai
Inactive

Services: 50Mb, TV & Phone
Dai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronze
Dai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronze
Send a message via MSN to Dai

Can you connect from the pc to the router control panel?

Open browser, enter address

http://192.168.1.1

Please report back if that works.
Dai is offline   Reply With Quote