Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | CAT5E Cabling, Proximty to Electrical Cabling

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

CAT5E Cabling, Proximty to Electrical Cabling

Old 15-09-2007, 18:57   #1
Raistlin
Inactive

Services: Depends on the person and the price they're offering
Raistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered stars
Raistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered stars
CAT5E Cabling, Proximty to Electrical Cabling

Anybody know if running Cat5e cabling near/next to 2.5mm electrical cabling (for sockets) or coax cabling (for, ummm, television) is likely to cause problems?

If so, anybody know what the minimum recommended distance/seperation is?

Thanks.
Raistlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 15-09-2007, 19:01   #2
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
Re: CAT5E Cabling, Proximty to Electrical Cabling

I beleive it shouldn't run in the same conduit - mainly for risks of a dodgy connection or lack of sheathing somewhere creating risks of the Cat% becoming live. Same as telephony and other low voltage cabling really.

When my office was wired up a couple of years ago, surface mounted trunking was used with two trunking run parralel adjacent each other. One for mains and one for Cat5e and telephone. Thus you can run them close together, just not directly adjacent.
MovedGoalPosts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2007, 19:10   #3
Halcyon
Hello !

Services: Sky, AppleTV, Netflix
Halcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered stars
Halcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered stars

Coax should be fine next to CAT5 but electrical wires should be apart.
Try to have them in seperate plastic pipes/conduits/ whatever they are called if possible to stop any interference.

Halcyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2007, 20:03   #4
Graham M
-

Services: FreeSat+ Tivo V-Box VM 60MBit
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Send a message via MSN to Graham M Send a message via Yahoo to Graham M

We have Sky Coax, Phone Cables and Network Cables running in the same conduit at work in the office and it all works flawlessly. There is a chance mains cabling could interfere, but it is quite low especially over short runs, I'd be more worried about the safety aspect - just in case some poor wiring earthed onto some CAT5 or something along those lines.
Graham M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2007, 20:06   #5
Raistlin
Inactive

Raistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered stars
Raistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered stars

Not too worried about the quality of the wiring (muggins here is doing it), just didn't want the Sky/LAN signals degraded by radiation from the power cabling.

TBH I haven't got a great deal of choice in the runs, if I run the coax and cat5e under the floorboards they're going to be running near/over power cabling for lighting and socket circuits anyway.....
Old 15-09-2007, 20:17   #6
yesman

A magnetic field is present around mains cables which will induce problems with cable without the equivalent insulation properties, therefore a minimum distance of 300mm if running parallel with telecommunication type cabling, screened or not.

Personally I would run telecommunication type cabling in it's own zone if possible, just to be on the safe side.
Old 15-09-2007, 20:22   #7
Jon T
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media Telephone and 100Mb broadband, Sky Q
Jon T has reached the bronze age
Jon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze age

IF you do any form of Network qualification(Cisco, CompTIA Network+ etc), you will get told that CAT 5 should be not be laid parallel with any other cable(power or signal) unless there is a certain minimum distance between them, I forget what this is. The main thing is that you don't run the CAT5 near things like low voltage tranformers or flourescent light fittings, these can generate wideband RF that is quite capable of interfering with ethernet.

Conventional wisdom is that CAT 5 and any other cable should cross each other at 90 degrees to avoid inductive coupling.

Can I just say though, taking all the above into account, the ethernet cable that feeds this computer runs alongside RG58 co-ax(which routinely carries RF from 3 to 400MHz at anything upto 100 Watts), and also a barrage of signal/power cables to the PC and my Radios, and i've never had any interference.

I would say you'd be fine, but I though i'd present both sides of the argument anyway.
Jon T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2007, 21:13   #8
Graham M
-

Services: FreeSat+ Tivo V-Box VM 60MBit
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Send a message via MSN to Graham M Send a message via Yahoo to Graham M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon T View Post
Can I just say though, taking all the above into account, the ethernet cable that feeds this computer runs alongside RG58 co-ax(which routinely carries RF from 3 to 400MHz at anything upto 100 Watts), and also a barrage of signal/power cables to the PC and my Radios, and i've never had any interference.

I would say you'd be fine, but I though i'd present both sides of the argument anyway.
With you 100% on that
Graham M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2007, 00:28   #9
xpod
Inactive

Services: TV,Phone & BB
xpod has a bronzed appealxpod has a bronzed appeal
xpod has a bronzed appealxpod has a bronzed appealxpod has a bronzed appealxpod has a bronzed appealxpod has a bronzed appealxpod has a bronzed appealxpod has a bronzed appealxpod has a bronzed appealxpod has a bronzed appeal

The only problem signals i ran into when wiring the relevant rooms for ethernet was the WAF.....the Wife Acceptance Factor
xpod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2007, 09:47   #10
Raistlin
Inactive

Thanks guys, I'll take all of that into account.

I think I'm just going to have to apply the 'as much seperation as possible' theory and see how it goes

Cheers.
Old 16-09-2007, 11:34   #11
Dai
Inactive

Services: 50Mb, TV & Phone
Dai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronze
Dai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronze
Send a message via MSN to Dai

Quote:
Originally Posted by xpod View Post
The only problem signals i ran into when wiring the relevant rooms for ethernet was the WAF.....the Wife Acceptance Factor
I've found in the past that the WAF signal can be fairly well cancelled by application of a strong SST...

(shoe shopping trip)

Dai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2007, 12:14   #12
xpod
Inactive

Services: TV,Phone & BB
xpod has a bronzed appealxpod has a bronzed appeal
xpod has a bronzed appealxpod has a bronzed appealxpod has a bronzed appealxpod has a bronzed appealxpod has a bronzed appealxpod has a bronzed appealxpod has a bronzed appealxpod has a bronzed appealxpod has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
I've found in the past that the WAF signal can be fairly well cancelled by application of a strong SST...

(shoe shopping trip)
Ahh,good ole SST...
I`ve been implementing SST for over 15 years now.........i`ve only had pc`s for one and a half of them of course

Reverse psychology is always good too mind you.
She thinks it was her idea to wire the place for internet
xpod is offline   Reply With Quote