Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Recommendation of Router for torrent DL Please.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Recommendation of Router for torrent DL Please.

Old 19-08-2007, 10:00   #1
johhn
Inactive

johhn is on a distinguished roadjohhn is on a distinguished road
Recommendation of Router for torrent DL Please.

hi guys,I need a wireless router for torrent DL,I use ethernet cable only the wireless is just for a housemate so the wireless function part doesnt really matter.OK,here's the thing,I use torrent/emule on a daily basis 24x7 so I need a really reliable DSL router for my XL VM broadband.
During the last 18 months I've tried a few different routers inluding belkin,netgear,d-link,linksys,the d-link di-604 wired router was good I only had to reboot it every 3 weeks then I had to get a wireless one just for my housemates they all just casual surfers. the belkin/netgear was pretty bad.I had a linksys wrt54g v1.1 on dd-wrt, it worked ok for a while but then went downhill although I tried changing the router settings for p2p(connections/timeout) but it didnt help.Later on when I tried flash it with tomato firmware I accidently unplug the ethernet cable during the after-flash-reboot,now the router just cant be recognised at all and I couldnt rescue it(after power on it seems normal no blinking light just not accessible).If anyone can fix it and wants it,just let me know. I'll give it away if you can pay for the postage.

Last week I bought a D-Link DGL-4300 after reading many 'good reviews' about it and it turned out to be quite overrated,I just had to reboot every morning.I followed the suggest testing modem separately and the modem looks fine.So guess I'll just have to buy a another router to test my luck.

Could anyone with p2p experience please give me some advice?

p.s.just read other post that someone mentioned wrt54gl,what hardware version we normally get from retailers right now ? I know linksys tried to make some changes on hardare so people cant upgrade it to 3rd party firmwares.

here's this modem singal info.

Downstream Value
Frequency 331000000 Hz
Signal To Noise Ratio 40.2 dB
Power Level 0.6 dBmV
The Downstream Power Level reading is a snapshot taken at the time this page was requested. Please Reload/Refresh this Page for a new reading
Upstream Value
Channel ID 4
Frequency 25800000 Hz
Power 43.0 dBmV
johhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 19-08-2007, 10:28   #2
mark_hamilton
Inactive

Services: VIP Virgin+ TV Service 20meg Broadband
mark_hamilton is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to mark_hamilton
Re: Recommendation of Router for torrent DL Please.

have heard good things about the belkin n series....im about to buy one of these this week, thing is, there quite pricey, £99....maplins have them also do pc world and argos....
mark_hamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2007, 10:55   #3
johhn
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark_hamilton View Post
have heard good things about the belkin n series....im about to buy one of these this week, thing is, there quite pricey, £99....maplins have them also do pc world and argos....
you mean Belkin N1 Wireless Router? well looks quite posh but I personally dont need the wireless at all,used to have belkin wired one,had to reboot 3-4 days tops. still thinking about getting one which can be flashed to a 3rd party one, any one any thoughts about BUFFALO ?
Old 19-08-2007, 14:08   #4
ECW_Original
Permanently Banned

Services: VM landline, XL TV, V+ & Samsung STB, XXXs BB(20Mb running at under 1.5Mb)
ECW_Original will become famous soon enoughECW_Original will become famous soon enoughECW_Original will become famous soon enough

Hi there!

I have seen somewhere around the net that they show you how to revive your Linksys router from firmware flash errors, I think it was on the DD-WRT website, Im not too sure, but they have a few ways to 'unbrick' it as it were, try looking around, you never know, might get lucky! In the meantime I will look for the url for you and PM it to you!
ECW_Original is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2007, 14:37   #5
cnewton2k
Inactive

Services: 100 Meg + Phone
cnewton2k is a glorious beacon of lightcnewton2k is a glorious beacon of lightcnewton2k is a glorious beacon of lightcnewton2k is a glorious beacon of lightcnewton2k is a glorious beacon of lightcnewton2k is a glorious beacon of lightcnewton2k is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via MSN to cnewton2k

i have got a netgear WGT624 and touch wood it is wicked

just works
cnewton2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2007, 16:20   #6
lordy
Inactive

lordy has a spectacular aura about themlordy has a spectacular aura about themlordy has a spectacular aura about themlordy has a spectacular aura about them

Yup there is a way to unbrick a wrt54g by shorting two pins inside. (The pins are different for a wrt54gs - just in case!, I found out the hard way)

Once you know how, very simple.
lordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2007, 17:20   #7
cybernetic_tiger
Inactive

cybernetic_tiger has a brilliant futurecybernetic_tiger has a brilliant futurecybernetic_tiger has a brilliant futurecybernetic_tiger has a brilliant futurecybernetic_tiger has a brilliant futurecybernetic_tiger has a brilliant futurecybernetic_tiger has a brilliant futurecybernetic_tiger has a brilliant futurecybernetic_tiger has a brilliant futurecybernetic_tiger has a brilliant futurecybernetic_tiger has a brilliant futurecybernetic_tiger has a brilliant future

I have a Belkin N1, it doesn't feel as stable as my old WRT54G but it will allow me to Max out my 20Mb connection whereas I was only getting around 8Mb wirelessly with the Linksys.

It sounds like your problem is with the lifespan / number of IP NAT transitions in play on your router. If this is the case then you need a router with more memory or a firmware which allows for automatic clearing of the database.

You would possibly need a business grade router.
cybernetic_tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2007, 19:05   #8
johhn
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybernetic_tiger View Post
I have a Belkin N1, it doesn't feel as stable as my old WRT54G but it will allow me to Max out my 20Mb connection whereas I was only getting around 8Mb wirelessly with the Linksys.

It sounds like your problem is with the lifespan / number of IP NAT transitions in play on your router. If this is the case then you need a router with more memory or a firmware which allows for automatic clearing of the database.

You would possibly need a business grade router.
thanks mate,just spent the whole afternoon trying to find a way to revive my wrt54g v1.1, things just just got bizarre,now I can access 192.168.1.1 by connecting my pc to the WAN port on the router not the ethernet ports, I also tried opening the router shorting pins/pin+antenna methods,tftp tomato/linksys firmwares was successful,just didnt work out eventually. I can even logon router managing page via wireless, just cant recognise the router when connecting to the ethernet ports.god knows why.I gave it up trying.
I realise it gotta be the router which is messing with the connection,all the money I spent on routers should have been enough to buy a bloody good business one,just feel so tired of trying.
can I ask what firmware will automatic clear outdate database,never saw one on dd-wrt or tomato?
Old 19-08-2007, 19:36   #9
cybernetic_tiger
Inactive

cybernetic_tiger has a brilliant futurecybernetic_tiger has a brilliant futurecybernetic_tiger has a brilliant futurecybernetic_tiger has a brilliant futurecybernetic_tiger has a brilliant futurecybernetic_tiger has a brilliant futurecybernetic_tiger has a brilliant futurecybernetic_tiger has a brilliant futurecybernetic_tiger has a brilliant futurecybernetic_tiger has a brilliant futurecybernetic_tiger has a brilliant futurecybernetic_tiger has a brilliant future

I don't have DD-WRT any more but am pretty sure that there is a TTL setting on the NAT config page where if it's set the translation will be deleted after that period. As I say I'm not 100% but pretty sure,

HTH
cybernetic_tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2007, 23:41   #10
lordy
Inactive

lordy has a spectacular aura about themlordy has a spectacular aura about themlordy has a spectacular aura about themlordy has a spectacular aura about them

An early version WRT54GS with Tomato or DD-WRT firmware will do the job fine.
You can pick these up for about 30 quid off ebay.
see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WRT54G
Get Anyone with >= 4Mb Flash and >= 16Mb Memory.
lordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2007, 00:33   #11
Deathmaker
Inactive

Deathmaker is a glorious beacon of lightDeathmaker is a glorious beacon of lightDeathmaker is a glorious beacon of lightDeathmaker is a glorious beacon of lightDeathmaker is a glorious beacon of lightDeathmaker is a glorious beacon of lightDeathmaker is a glorious beacon of light

What kind of amounts of data are you transferring? I'm just curious as I have a DGL-4300 too and in the six months I've owned it, it's only been rebooted a couple of times due to changing the odd setting which required a reboot. It's handled everything I've thrown at it so far, from more that a few *cough* Linux isos to gaming and general surfing with five machines connected.
Deathmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2007, 00:56   #12
johhn
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathmaker View Post
What kind of amounts of data are you transferring? I'm just curious as I have a DGL-4300 too and in the six months I've owned it, it's only been rebooted a couple of times due to changing the odd setting which required a reboot. It's handled everything I've thrown at it so far, from more that a few *cough* Linux isos to gaming and general surfing with five machines connected.
quite a lot usage sometimes I have to say,see,my laptop is on 24x7 without battery but on power cord. I never do online game like steam,but use torrent all the time,sometimes along with emule.average traffic is about 7 gig or so per day according to DU meter.Personal record was over 20 gig a day but doesnt happen so often.my housemates' machines dont need too much at all.all the routers I tried just counldnt handle the traffic although I've tried reducing in/outbound connections on the p2p client software. I know dgl-4300 has 250 mhz cpu and 16 mb memory,but the firmware doesnt give too much options for p2p.I wish I could use dd-wrt/tomato on it.
thinking about getting a wrt54g v3.x since it has best cpu/memory among the wrt54g v1-4 products although the wrt54g v1.1 I had and lost just did a ok job.
Old 20-08-2007, 10:16   #13
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars

I use a Linksys WRT54GS - it's one of the earlier versions. That works fine with torrents and stuff, needing only the occasional reboot (just like your PC sooner or later goes wonky) now that I've flashed it's firmware to DD-WRT. Even with DD-WRT you need to adjust some settings in the firmware to prevent the logs getting overful and more importantly to prevent the router trying to hold on to too many connections.

Indeed the major problem with p2p torrents, for the majority, is trying to doo too much, and trying to hold open too many connections at once. That saturates your bandwidth. Torrents work by throwing out loads of connections to other PCs in the hope they have or want the file your have / want. Those connections can swiftly overload stuff if you are too ambitious. Equally if you get carried away by maxing out your upload and download bandwidth (remember you need to allow something for your wireless users too), you are asking for things to grind to a halt.
MovedGoalPosts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2007, 18:17   #14
johhn
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob View Post
I use a Linksys WRT54GS - it's one of the earlier versions. That works fine with torrents and stuff, needing only the occasional reboot (just like your PC sooner or later goes wonky) now that I've flashed it's firmware to DD-WRT. Even with DD-WRT you need to adjust some settings in the firmware to prevent the logs getting overful and more importantly to prevent the router trying to hold on to too many connections.

Indeed the major problem with p2p torrents, for the majority, is trying to doo too much, and trying to hold open too many connections at once. That saturates your bandwidth. Torrents work by throwing out loads of connections to other PCs in the hope they have or want the file your have / want. Those connections can swiftly overload stuff if you are too ambitious. Equally if you get carried away by maxing out your upload and download bandwidth (remember you need to allow something for your wireless users too), you are asking for things to grind to a halt.
I used to have DD-WRT v23 SP2 Special running on wrt54g v1.1,still need a reboot once a week,or every 15 days tops,already tried setting connection as max-4096,timeout-5 sec,settings on torrent software are in-bound-90/out-bound 20,NAT enabled. upload speed max@14kb,normally 3-4 jobs at the same time.I just dont think that would be too much to ask from VM XL Broadband. anyone has experience on tomato firmware?
Old 20-08-2007, 18:26   #15
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars

Weird I'm generally stable with the WRT54GS using 4096 max ports, TCP & UDP timeout of 120 (seconds).
The bittorrent client allows 30KB/s upload, 300 download, 3 slots upload per torrent, 16 connections per torrent 100 connections globally, 2 simultaneous downloads, 4 active torrents.
That's all on the 4 meg speed.
I'd be inclined to suggest it's your router and / or computer config, rather than the Virgin Media settings giving you grief.
MovedGoalPosts is offline   Reply With Quote