Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | RJ45 wiring query

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

RJ45 wiring query

Old 18-09-2007, 16:41   #1
cscuser
Inactive

cscuser is an unknown quantity at this point
RJ45 wiring query

I have an NTL box which is providing my broadband service. I am looking to replace the single RJ45 boxes and have at each end with a 4 gang plates (Krone RJ-K jacks) installing a router/switch, but when I wire the 4 gang plate as per normal pin settings (568A) I cannot get a connection. The wiring on the original single socket doesn't match the pin designation on the new plate leading me to think NTL sockets are wired different. Does anyone know how these plates need to be wired to work with NTL ?.
cscuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 18-09-2007, 18:22   #2
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
Re: RJ45 wiring query

Normally you will have the Virgin Media (ntl) incoming cable connection from the street with a screw thread connector into your modem, or Set Top Box. The output from this modem (STB) via ethernet cable with RJ45 type plugs on the ehternet lead would connect to your single PC.

It would not be usual for VM (ntl) to have provided hard wired ethernet for a home installation. The most they might have done is to clip the ethernet cable to a skirting.

Even if the ethernet has been hard wired to RJ45 type wall sockets, and presumably you are then using a short patch ethernet lead to bridge between the modem / PC and hard wiring, provided the connections in the hard wired sections have not been crossed, all should be OK.

When hard wiring, or making your own leads ideally you need some form of cable tester to see that all 8 of the wires are correctly connected. It's so easy to cross one over.

If you want more than one PC to be connected at a time to the modem, you need a router as the first connection after the modem (router WAN port to modem output), with the LAN ports of the router then connected to your home network installation. Switches (or hubs) can be used to extend the number of outlets provided they are used only on the LAN side of the modem.

Make sure you power off the modem (STB) whenever you change the device directly connected to it, i.e. swap from PC to router.
MovedGoalPosts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2007, 20:19   #3
SMHarman
Inactive

Services: Cablevision
SMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronze
SMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronze
Re: RJ45 wiring query

As long as both sockets are wired 568A or 568B you will not have a problem. Are all your connections good with no broken wires in the cable run?
SMHarman is offline   Reply With Quote