Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | i have just subscribed to sky +hd

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Alternatives to Virgin Media > Sky TV, Sky+ & Sky Q
Register FAQ Community Calendar

i have just subscribed to sky +hd

Old 31-03-2011, 06:51   #1
jonny4580
Inactive

jonny4580 is an unknown quantity at this point
i have just subscribed to sky +hd

my question is do i really need a phone line if im not taking the broadband package, as im quite happy with the tv package at £20.50 per month and dont want to spend more on BB when ive already got it
jonny4580 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 31-03-2011, 07:27   #2
jb66
cf.mega poster

jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array
jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array
Re: i have just subscribed to sky +hd

It so they can tell if you've took your box to your mates house to watch tv
jb66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2011, 08:35   #3
Tony.
Inactive

Services: Triple XL (Phone,BB & TV) Samsung V+HD(30 meg Superhub)
Tony. has much to be proud ofTony. has much to be proud ofTony. has much to be proud ofTony. has much to be proud ofTony. has much to be proud ofTony. has much to be proud ofTony. has much to be proud ofTony. has much to be proud ofTony. has much to be proud ofTony. has much to be proud of

Taken from Skys T & Cs

Quote:
General: Your Sky box(es) must be connected to a fixed telephone line for 12 months. Sky+HD box supplied may vary from box shown. Sky+HD box prices may vary if you live in a flat. You must get any consents required (e.g. landlord’s). Minimum Sky TV/Sky /HD Pack/Multiroom subscriptions 12 months. You must be 18 years or over. Channels/programmes & prices subject to change. Prices shown apply to customers paying by Direct Debit. For continuous debit/credit card mandate, 50p monthly charge applies. Information only applies to residential customers in UK, Channel Islands and Isle of Man. Further terms apply. Calls cost up to 6.03p per minute (plus 10.11p connection fee) for BT customers. Calls from other providers may vary. Correct at 16 March 2011.
I think it is for the interactive services, you will be more inclined to use Pay services if you can just press a button on your remote to pay for it. I am sure they discount toe price of the install for thi, a friend of mine without a fixed line got Sky+ installed but had to pay more. Hope this Helps
Tony. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2011, 09:15   #4
jonny4580
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony. View Post
Taken from Skys T & Cs

I think it is for the interactive services, you will be more inclined to use Pay services if you can just press a button on your remote to pay for it. I am sure they discount toe price of the install for thi, a friend of mine without a fixed line got Sky+ installed but had to pay more. Hope this Helps
Cheers ill get in touch with sky and see what they can do for me! thanks again
Old 31-03-2011, 09:18   #5
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

You got your installation at a discount rate in return for agreeing to keep the box connected to the phone line. They periodically tell your box to 'phone home' in the middle of the night to check that it is still connected. If they find that you have disconnected it, they will come after you for a big wedge of cash. If the install has been done properly the line won't be in your way - just leave it and forget about it. You can rip it out once you're out of your initial 12 month contract with Sky.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2011, 09:33   #6
jonny4580
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
You got your installation at a discount rate in return for agreeing to keep the box connected to the phone line. They periodically tell your box to 'phone home' in the middle of the night to check that it is still connected. If they find that you have disconnected it, they will come after you for a big wedge of cash. If the install has been done properly the line won't be in your way - just leave it and forget about it. You can rip it out once you're out of your initial 12 month contract with Sky.
Good advice thanks
Old 31-03-2011, 10:29   #7
pabs
Inactive

Services: Sky+HD TV, VM 10Mb Broadband and XL Phone.
pabs is on a distinguished roadpabs is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonny4580 View Post
my question is do i really need a phone line if im not taking the broadband package, as im quite happy with the tv package at £20.50 per month and dont want to spend more on BB when ive already got it
When I had my Sky installed a month ago the engineer didn't even bother connecting it up to my socket. When I asked why he said you don't need to, only if you want a movie or check your bill via the tv. He was very dismissive about it like it didn't matter a jot. I rang customer services to confirm and they said the same thing. So Sky know I have a phoneline (with Virgin) but they coundn't care less if the box is not connected to it.
pabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2011, 10:56   #8
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Possibly they have given up on the phone home thing ... Would be good if they have. Not so many years ago there were plenty of stories flying about with people getting caught out. I even caught my own box phoning up one night.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2011, 15:32   #9
Wayfair
Inactive

Services: Virgin tinterweb, Tivo with an extra large package 'oh yes' and a speaky thing...
Wayfair has a bronze arrayWayfair has a bronze arrayWayfair has a bronze array
Wayfair has a bronze arrayWayfair has a bronze arrayWayfair has a bronze arrayWayfair has a bronze arrayWayfair has a bronze arrayWayfair has a bronze arrayWayfair has a bronze arrayWayfair has a bronze arrayWayfair has a bronze arrayWayfair has a bronze array

I am into my 2nd yr with Sky, never had a phone line connected up, never asked for one and neither did they.
Wayfair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2011, 16:54   #10
jonny4580
Inactive

are you subscribing too coz if you are i may just cancel the installation of the phone line as that is to take place a couple of weeks after the box install, i might see if i can get my tv services that i have now for the same price 20.50 is a good price for the package i have
Thanks for that info pal

---------- Post added at 16:54 ---------- Previous post was at 16:40 ----------

when i try to record anything ll i get i a message that says system fault has anyone experienced this themselves and how do i remedy it?

i did a system reset and that has resolved the problem
Old 01-04-2011, 18:00   #11
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

I'm sure I read you can have Sky installed with no phone line for a one off fee of 25.00 but I'd check first.
muppetman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 20:04   #12
Paul K
Inactive

Services: Sky HD + 16Mb ADSL BT Telephone
Paul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered stars
Paul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered stars

You can ask for it yes, the agent doesn't always suggest it but it is an option.
Paul K is offline   Reply With Quote