Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Looking for a Freeview TV Recorder

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Science & Technology
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Looking for a Freeview TV Recorder

Old 16-10-2022, 09:42   #16
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star
Re: Looking for a Freeview TV Recorder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boaz View Post
Is it possible then to purchase an indoor aerial? I didn't realise you could buy them like that until it was mentioned here.

The aerial she has coming from the rooftop into the living room does not work.
An indoor aerial is worth a go if you can get it near or on a window. It depends on the signal strength in your area. I've got a tv thats too far from cable and outdoor aerial connections. I've got one of the aerials that sticks to the inside of the window and it picks up most freeview. I'm not in a particularly strong signal area.
Mr K is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 16-10-2022, 09:44   #17
Boaz
cf.addict

Boaz is just really niceBoaz is just really niceBoaz is just really niceBoaz is just really niceBoaz is just really niceBoaz is just really nice

I'll speak to my stepmother about the aerial and see what she wants to do.

I appreciate the information. Thank you.
Boaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2022, 09:50   #18
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

cheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quads

Indoor aerials can be perfectly fine, but they vary depending on a number of factors. I've got one Freeview device connected to an indoor aerial that's 20+ years old. It's worked steady as a rock through all the changes since Freeview came to the area with switchover in 2011. It's almost always been on the windowsill. It gets a great signal from the local Relay transmitter.

If you don't have a spare indoor aerial of your own you can try out with her, see if you can borrow one from a friend/relative and see how well it works. It's worth a go before getting the roof aerial work done.

I have to say I've never had to manually adjust anything regards position. If it got moved it was due to housework, and it usually ended up right back where it was, same angle, etc.

I know this isn't the same for everyone, I'm not saying it is.

We do actually have 3 devices hooked up to a roof aerial, and they get a signal from the nearest Main transmitter, but we're the only ones with our aerial pointed that way around here, and that's thanks to an installer that was willing to try. We aren't actually in the likely coverage area. The indoor aerial would likely struggle receiving from the Main transmitter even if the hills weren't there I'd imagine.
cheekyangus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2022, 10:42   #19
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy in modem mode XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars

We use a good sized loft antenna that gets a decent signal as it points "through" the gable wall and there are no obstructions in the way. Might be a viable alternative.