Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | The Voice or BGT

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Entertainment > Television
Register FAQ Community Calendar

The Voice or BGT

Old 23-03-2012, 10:24   #1
Arthurgray50@blu
cf.mega poster

Arthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appeal
Arthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appeal
The Voice or BGT

This is what Tv entertainment is about, competition The Voice on BBC1 or Britain's Got Talent on ITV.

Will it be Simon Cowell or Tom Jones as the victor, I think that The Voice is nicking a bit of BGT for example they will have four judges, Tom Jones is well past it, compared to Simon Cowell who knows talent when he See's it.

He has had more stars from his shows together ie Susan Boyle, Will Young and Alexandra Burke who have gone onto International stardom.

So what stars have come from BBC shows ?

I think it will be a big battle, But BGT will have the same pull as it did last time, from the adverts l have seen on The Voice it does not look very cheap and produced very cheaply compared to BGT.
Arthurgray50@blu is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 23-03-2012, 12:34   #2
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Re: The Voice or BGT

TV Entertainment? Debatable whether either BGT or The Voice fits that description, IMO.

Tom Jones is still a good singer. He's a little old, but his album "Reload" is one of the best albums I've heard in the last few years.

As for Simon Cowell, yes he has had a couple of international hits. Leona Lewis, Susan Boyle etc, how many people has he seen?

Remember, he has been doing essentially the same show (with minor variations in the voting and/or the number of judges) since Pop Stars, which was over ten years ago now.

I researched this on Wikepedia a few months back, and was suprised to find how FEW of the people who won or came between 2nd and 10th on these compotitions are actually still famous. Bear in mind that that list contains up to 1,000 contestants, how many would you say? 500? 100? Nope. IIRC, there were less than 50. 50 out of 1,000. Not good odds, is it?

The problem (from the point of view of the artists) is that Simon Cowell's primary interest is his own TV career. Yes, there are exceptions, such as Leona Lewis and Alexandra Burke (who did, by all accounts, leave SyCo for this reason), but in general, he doesn't seem interested in any particular act beyond the year guaranteed as a prize. He doesn't seem interested in helping them build a long term career.

As such, he is exploiting the dreams of a lot of people.
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2012, 18:10   #3
alferret
cf.mega poster

Services: There is no destination to life, the journey is everything!
alferret has a nice shiny star
alferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny star

I'll be sticking pins in my eyes, although we (Mrs & I) have said we will watch the voice just to see if the format works. But generally these types of programs really dont do it for me.
alferret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2012, 10:17   #4
telepest
Inactive

Services: B.B. 100. TV mix. V6 box. Phone M V+ HD 1tb Tivo
telepest is on a distinguished roadtelepest is on a distinguished road

In these days of PVRs, sky plusses,and Tivos, ratings are obsolete,they mean nothing except copy in the tabloids most people who are interested in this type of entertainment(?) will surley watch both,and my guess is that the ITV version will be recorded then watched without adverts.
telepest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2012, 23:08   #5
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars

Well I like BGT because I like a bit of variety.

I wouldn't judge BGT against the voice.

However, I think the voice is miles better, after only one show, than the torrid xfactor
Old 26-03-2012, 08:44   #6
Angua
10 yrs same company 😁

Services: ? BB, basic phone. Share of Disney+
Angua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny stars
Angua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny stars

Never been into these sorts of shows except for Strictly Come Dancing. Watched The Voice which actually managed to capture my interest. Seems to have neatly avoided the cringe-worthy humiliation of contestants by weeding out the total no hopers.
Angua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2012, 08:48   #7
iFrankie
cf.mega poster

Services: V BB 350
iFrankie has a bronzed appealiFrankie has a bronzed appeal
iFrankie has a bronzed appealiFrankie has a bronzed appealiFrankie has a bronzed appealiFrankie has a bronzed appealiFrankie has a bronzed appeal
Send a message via MSN to iFrankie Send a message via Yahoo to iFrankie

Watched The Voice over BGT, amazing AMAZING it was.
iFrankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2012, 11:57   #8
Ken W
cf.mega poster

Services: LL Phone, TiVo, M+ VM mobile, BBand 150M tier Superhub, TIVO 500 M+
Ken W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angua View Post
Never been into these sorts of shows except for Strictly Come Dancing. Watched The Voice which actually managed to capture my interest. Seems to have neatly avoided the cringe-worthy humiliation of contestants by weeding out the total no hopers.

I avoid The Voice and BGT.
Ken W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2012, 14:07   #9
carlwaring
Permanently Banned

Services: XL TV, XL Phone, 30mb BB, 1TB Tivo
carlwaring has reached the bronze age
carlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze age

"The Voice" is the first programme of it's type that I have ever watched in full. Much better than either BGT or TXF.
carlwaring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2012, 14:53   #10
Mick Fisher
Inactive

Services: Sky Unlimited FibrePro Sky Talk Sky+HD
Mick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze array
Mick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze array

I enjoyed BGT, not so sure about The Voice.

I don't think The Voice can be compared with BGT as it is a different type of show.

Comparing The Voice to X-Factor is more like it I think.
Mick Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2012, 15:40   #11
gazzae
Inactive

gazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronze
gazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronze

Thought the Voice wasn't going to have any sob stories in it?
gazzae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2012, 15:49   #12
carlwaring
Permanently Banned

carlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick Fisher View Post
I don't think The Voice can be compared with BGT as it is a different type of show.
Doesn't stop people trying though

Quote:
Comparing The Voice to X-Factor is more like it I think.
Still not really the same at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gazzae View Post
Thought the Voice wasn't going to have any sob stories in it?
The reasons for someone writing the music as they do, or wanting to pursue a singing career, is not the same thing at all; IMO
Old 26-03-2012, 16:23   #13
gazzae
Inactive

gazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronze
gazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlwaring View Post
The reasons for someone writing the music as they do, or wanting to pursue a singing career, is not the same thing at all; IMO

Sorry but the whole build up was how it's all about the voice nothing else matters. I heard at least two different judges, sorry "coaches", say there would be no sob stories. Second person out, "I've no hair" boo hoo. Wear a wig love if it bothers you that much.
The fact that both her and Jessie J were crying makes that, quite literally, a sob story.
Old 26-03-2012, 16:58   #14
carlwaring
Permanently Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gazzae View Post
Sorry but the whole build up was how it's all about the voice nothing else matters.
And indeed it is.

Quote:
I heard at least two different judges, sorry "coaches", say there would be no sob stories.
They were correct.

Quote:
Second person out...
Fourth, actually.

Quote:
"I've no hair" boo hoo. Wear a wig love if it bothers you that much.
Yes and that's just the kind of attitude that is expected from someone who, for some reason, cannot be sympathetic to other people's problems.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p00k...les/toni-warne
Quote:
As a sufferer of Alopecia, Toni lost all her hair at 21, which shattered her self-belief and halted her pursuit of a record deal.
That's not a "sob story" by any normal person's standards. I say well done to her for over-coming her personal problems.

Quote:
The fact that both her and Jessie J were crying makes that, quite literally, a sob story.
No. It just means that JJ has more sympathy for her fellow human beings than you seem to have.

Which is a sob story in itself
Old 26-03-2012, 17:13   #15
gazzae
Inactive

Oh come on. If it bothers her that much don't go on national TV. If she has come to terms with her hairloss and is now proud of who she is then good for her. If not she should take a look around and be thankfull her hair is the only thing she has lost.

And tell me, if it is all about the voice, why was her Alopecia even mentioned?