Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | a question about virgin media and xbox live

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

a question about virgin media and xbox live

Old 30-06-2007, 18:29   #16
brundles
Inactive

brundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of society
Re: a question about virgin media and xbox live

One thing you could do is use QoS on the router. The firmware Druchii has on the router for sale will allow you to give the Xbox top priority for uploading traffic which should help.
brundles is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 30-06-2007, 19:04   #17
PlanBee
Inactive

Services: NTL Phone NTL TV 10 Mbs NTL Broadband
PlanBee has a spectacular aura about themPlanBee has a spectacular aura about themPlanBee has a spectacular aura about themPlanBee has a spectacular aura about them

Quote:
Originally Posted by helloiamnew View Post
Right so no one has really told me why I am having this problem or what I should do to remedy it

If no one has any answers just say so and close the thread then I can spend my time better else where

I posted in this forum because I thought somebody may have encountered this problem or know why it is happing

I don't know if I have an incompatible modem (for my 360) or I need to register the modem or do some kind of configuration?

If anybody knows please help

I can do without these sort or remarks above ^

The first person to post was trying to help others just seem to be snotty about my predicament

and I posted in the games section because I though people who have a 360 may know how to help

Sorry for breaking the rules

Hello "Helloiamnew" welcome to the club... please don't be put off by the occasionally over zealous response, there is a tendancy for the self appointed VM police to put people in their place... (No offence:-)

Can you believe that yesterday someone posted that a question asked here had also been asked on another board...

A cable modem is not like the dial up modems of old - in the cable world they are a)owned by VM and b)unique to your account. Which means there is a code assigned to the cable model, and physically written to a chip inside the modem. This is not the TCP/IP address. Its more like a a MAC address...

So what can you do... bin the modem you brought. Buy a wireless router, if you are not IT savvy go for a factory fresh device with the original firmware (albeit the lastest version). The network part of the modem plugs into the WAN or INTERNET port on the router. Many routers have hubs built in, often four extra connections. You then have the flexibility of plugging your PC AND XBOX into the hub or with the addition of a wifi card for the PC and 360, connecting from around the house.

I actually use one of those PowerLine jobbies to connect the 360 to the hub on my router via the mains.

For anyone intrested, 250 modem cabled to an ISASERVER 2006 in the garage, connected to a Motorola WiFi router which inturn is connected to the 360 in my DMZ, A Linksys wifo router in my attic completes the picture... REMEMBER to mitigate any risk when setting up any wifi gear... a password is a starting point...

I hope you consider the above to be in the spirit of any forum...

Good luck and please feel free to post questions about setting up your router.
PlanBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2007, 19:22   #18
brundles
Inactive

brundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of society

Good point on the PowerLine jobbies - they're more expensive that most of the alternatives, but they're simple to install & use without the interference/reliability drawbacks of wireless.

Edit: Remember that you'll still need a router to split and route correctly. Install the router next to the CM then use the PowerLines in place of the network cabling to get the 360 online.
brundles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2007, 20:28   #19
saeedk786
Inactive

saeedk786 is an unknown quantity at this point

i bought a modem from ebay the ntl 250 and rang them, they asked for the MAC code on the sticker and it started working but i think your only allowed one modem per line. routers the best option mate and then bridge the connection if you wanna take it to another place in your house or use WIFI
saeedk786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 14:45   #20
helloiamnew
Inactive

helloiamnew is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

Thanks a lot planbee, brundles (again) and saeedk786

and of course others that have contributed

I have read up on powerline networking and wanted to know what is the best one to get

I like the look of the linksys one but I can't find anywhere that sells it in the UK

Cheers!
helloiamnew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 15:39   #21
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

Modem cloning is against the terms and conditions of the service. It could also be considered theft of service, and, therefore illegal. Do not discuss modem cloning on this site.
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote