Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | A few basic questions on setting up a wireless router

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

A few basic questions on setting up a wireless router

Old 12-08-2010, 17:15   #1
Theodoric
Inactive

Theodoric has reached the bronze age
Theodoric has reached the bronze ageTheodoric has reached the bronze ageTheodoric has reached the bronze ageTheodoric has reached the bronze ageTheodoric has reached the bronze ageTheodoric has reached the bronze ageTheodoric has reached the bronze ageTheodoric has reached the bronze age
A few basic questions on setting up a wireless router

I've spent years without the need of any knowledge of wi-fi but I now need to get myself up to speed. Before drowning in google results I thought posting here might be a good start. My apologies for the very basic nature of the questions.

Currently I have a desktop PC running under Win 7. It is not wireless enabled. I hope to buy a cheap laptop that is wireless enabled. The desktop PC is currently connected to the VM broadband cable modem and is in the same room. The laptop would be elsewhere in the house - too far away for cable.

My questions are:

1) I gather that I would need to connect the router to the VM cable modem. As the router would be in the same room as the desktop PC would it be possible to connect the PC to the router by cable? The laptop would have a wireless connection.

2) How would the available bandwidth be split between the PC and the laptop?

3) Would what each person is doing on the Internet be invisible to the other person?
Theodoric is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 12-08-2010, 18:54   #2
jb66
cf.mega poster

jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array
jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array
Re: A few basic questions on setting up a wireless router

1 yes
2 whoever needs it gets it or 50/50
3 yes, normally unless your a hacker
jb66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 19:27   #3
Dai
Inactive

Services: 50Mb, TV & Phone
Dai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronze
Dai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronze
Send a message via MSN to Dai

To expand a little on jb66 reply, modern routers have at least 1 and often more wired ports so you will be able to connect as before. In fact you will need a wired connection to set up the wireless in the router initially. You have to log-in to the router control panel to set up security/password information before using the wireless.
Dai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 19:36   #4
Theodoric
Inactive

Theodoric has reached the bronze age
Theodoric has reached the bronze ageTheodoric has reached the bronze ageTheodoric has reached the bronze ageTheodoric has reached the bronze ageTheodoric has reached the bronze ageTheodoric has reached the bronze ageTheodoric has reached the bronze ageTheodoric has reached the bronze age

Many thanks for the info. I've always been quite happy with just the one PC with a cable connection but Mrs T has started dropping heavy hints about how she would like a laptop.
Theodoric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 21:00   #5
inneedofhelp
Inactive

inneedofhelp will become famous soon enoughinneedofhelp will become famous soon enoughinneedofhelp will become famous soon enough

Virgin may supply you with a free router if you call them. If not, do a bit of research and get one which supports third party firmware like DD-WRT. This will give you more features. Look it up and ask about what you can't find.
inneedofhelp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2010, 13:04   #6
Pog66
Inactive

Services: SKY HD+, BT BB
Pog66 has a brilliant futurePog66 has a brilliant futurePog66 has a brilliant futurePog66 has a brilliant futurePog66 has a brilliant futurePog66 has a brilliant futurePog66 has a brilliant futurePog66 has a brilliant futurePog66 has a brilliant futurePog66 has a brilliant futurePog66 has a brilliant futurePog66 has a brilliant future

...and make sure you get a Cable Modem NOT an ADSL modem & make sure you secure it once it's in - WPA rather than just WEP.
Pog66 is offline   Reply With Quote