Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Telewest Broadband Upgrade? [Wireless help]

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Telewest Broadband Upgrade? [Wireless help]

Old 15-02-2005, 22:23   #1
allmond10
Inactive

allmond10 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Telewest Broadband Upgrade?

Hi i have just bought a new laptop computer which i would like to connect wirelessly to my telewest broadband. I know that i need some kind of wireless cable/dsl router but i`m not entirely sure if it will connect. The current modem is a black motorola vertical thing which is connected to the desktop pc using usb and the broadband signal is input using a silver F-connector like those use for sky satelite dishes. The signal comes in from outside and then splits into two with one signal to the set top box and the other to the modem. Does anybody have any recommendations or comments to help me with this problem.

Your help would be greatly appreciated, Thanks.

Ric Allmond
allmond10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 15-02-2005, 22:40   #2
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Re: Telewest Broadband Upgrade?

The normal method is to connect the output of the CM to a wireless capable router, and then the pc's connect to the router. A number of people in the forum have done this and I expect they will pop along with model recomendations.

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2005, 00:47   #3
Tezcatlipoca
Inactive

Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars
Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Telewest Broadband Upgrade?

Wireless info thread - http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/sh...ad.php?t=16296

Couple of wireless routers I'd recommend:

Linksys BEFW11S4 wireless B router - http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/...619330-1986067

Linksys WRT54G wireless G router - http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/...619330-1986067

You'd also need some sort of wireless adaptor for the laptop (unless it has wireless built-in) - you can get ones which connect via USB, or ones which use the laptop's card slot.

The modem would connect to the router's WAN port using an ethernet cable (straight-through cable, I think, rather than crossover).

The desktop PC would connect, using ethernet, to one of the router's LAN ports using a straight-through ethernet cable (*not* a crossover cable). [unless you wanted to wirelessly connect the PC too, & used a wireless adaptor for that. However, I'd recommend having the PC cabled].

As you would be changing from connecting the modem using USB (to the PC) to using ethernet (to the router), you'd need to power cycle the modem - info here: http://homepage.ntlworld.com/robin.d...b.html#usbswap
Tezcatlipoca is offline   Reply With Quote