Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Which modem router for me ?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Which modem router for me ?

Old 11-02-2005, 23:34   #31
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Which modem router for me ?

Sorry

a cross-over cable is used to transfer data etc when you don't have a router/BB

you cant use a cross over cable will a router.

i hope this will explain the basics

the cable is like say a 1.micophone and 2.speaker

if you try and speak down 1. the cross-over cable will send it to 2. so it can be heard. with out the cross-over cable 1. will try and talk to 1. and not be heard.

i hope this explains it clearly?
Old 12-02-2005, 00:54   #32
Graham M
-

Services: FreeSat+ Tivo V-Box VM 60MBit
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Send a message via MSN to Graham M Send a message via Yahoo to Graham M

Some (good) routers/switches automatically switch the Rx/Tx over if you plug a crossover cable in so it turns into a straight through.
Graham M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2005, 17:48   #33
domtheboy
Inactive

domtheboy is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt D
Hi Matt

The guide is very useful to a point but then I've got stuck. I'd managed to successfully follow all of the instructions up until the paragraph that begins, "Once you have checked the above your pc should be ready to share your files and printers."

Basically I followed the instructions in this paragraph but have been unable to create a folder on one PC that can then be viewed on the other. Any suggestions on where I can start analysing where I could be going wrong ?

Cheers

Dom
domtheboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2005, 22:37   #34
SMHarman
Inactive

Services: Cablevision
SMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronze
SMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by aliferste
When you use a router?

I have had to buy a router but I have a crossover cable (long story) can I use it until I get the other cable?
Only to connect the router to a NTL CM. You cannout use the cable to connect a PC or other device to the router.
The CM will detect it is a cross over cable and un cross it (clever eh).
SMHarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2005, 04:00   #35
quadplay
Inactive

Services: 9am, 1pm and 8pm daily
quadplay has a bronze arrayquadplay has a bronze arrayquadplay has a bronze array
quadplay has a bronze arrayquadplay has a bronze arrayquadplay has a bronze arrayquadplay has a bronze arrayquadplay has a bronze arrayquadplay has a bronze arrayquadplay has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMHarman
The CM will detect it is a cross over cable and un cross it (clever eh).
As long as the modem is an ntl:home 120, or above! The others don't have autosensing capability.
quadplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2005, 11:03   #36
OldGeezer
Inactive

OldGeezer will become famous soon enoughOldGeezer will become famous soon enoughOldGeezer will become famous soon enough

Quote:
You cannout use the cable to connect a PC or other device to the router.
Many NICs and routers are autosensing these days.
You MAY not be able to use a x-over to connect a PC to a router.
OldGeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2005, 11:10   #37
ian@huth
Inactive

Services: VM 10Mb, TU, 1xSky HD, 2xSky+ (HD,all packs, sports & movies) 2xDVD PVR's, Freesat Freeview & other
ian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronze
ian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldGeezer
Many NICs and routers are autosensing these days.
You MAY not be able to use a x-over to connect a PC to a router.
They may be autosensing as far as duplex settings go but not many sense the cable type and adjust to take account of this. Autosensing of duplex setting isn't always done correctly and problems can exist if both devices are set to autosense.
ian@huth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2005, 14:26   #38
OldGeezer
Inactive

OldGeezer will become famous soon enoughOldGeezer will become famous soon enoughOldGeezer will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianathuth
They may be autosensing as far as duplex settings go but not many sense the cable type and adjust to take account of this. Autosensing of duplex setting isn't always done correctly and problems can exist if both devices are set to autosense.
I'm surprised. Both my router and switch do - I didn't think they were anything special.
OldGeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2005, 16:00   #39
greencreeper
Inactive

Services: Email me for a current price list
greencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny star
greencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by domtheboy
The guide is very useful to a point but then I've got stuck. I'd managed to successfully follow all of the instructions up until the paragraph that begins, "Once you have checked the above your pc should be ready to share your files and printers."

Basically I followed the instructions in this paragraph but have been unable to create a folder on one PC that can then be viewed on the other. Any suggestions on where I can start analysing where I could be going wrong ?
Both PCs have different names and the same workgroup? Have you shared the folder and given everyone full access?
greencreeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2005, 13:25   #40
domtheboy
Inactive

Talking Re: Which modem router for me ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by greencreeper
Both PCs have different names and the same workgroup? Have you shared the folder and given everyone full access?
Hi greencreeper

I'm at work at the moment so don't have access to the PCs, and I did all the fiddling with the network on Friday evening so my memory is a bit hazy (have slept since then ). Nevertheless I'll try and give you a quick summary of where we've got up to so far:

* cable modem to router to PCs connection set up
* both PCs can access the net
* both PCs can pin one another successfully
* network connection wizard has been run on both PCs
* firewalls have been closed down on both PCs (both the windows firewalls and also the additional software ones we have on each one, mine being zone alarm, my g/f's being mcafee)
* both PCs have different names
* both PCs are in the MSHOME workgroup
* shared access has been applied to the C:\ drive of both PC's

If I remember anything else I'll post again - in the meantime if anyone has any suggestions please call 'em out !

Cheers guys

Dom

PS - Looks like our net connection speed is shortly to be boosted to 2MB - sweet
Old 14-02-2005, 14:20   #41
SMHarman
Inactive

SMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronze
SMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronze

have you tried searching for the other pc on explorer,

Find PC

or in explorer typing \\mshome\the_pc_name\the_name_you_shared_c_as in the top bar
edit - hmm, it might just be
\\the_pc_name\the_name_you_shared_c_as in the top bar

Often the network exists and widows is a bit slow to catch on. Once it has found it and you have mapped network drives etc everything is peachy.
Old 14-02-2005, 15:11   #42
domtheboy
Inactive

I'll give it a whirl tonight and let you know how I get on when I'm able to post from home (I don't know how to do a thumbs up smiley, but if I did it would be here).

Cheers again

Dom
Old 14-02-2005, 19:18   #43
greencreeper
Inactive

Services: Email me for a current price list
greencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny star
greencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny star

You could try \\IP\sharename instead of \\pcname\sharename - if the IP works, that something is amiss with naming.
greencreeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2005, 10:10   #44
domtheboy
Inactive

Exclamation Re: Which modem router for me ?

Quote:
have you tried searching for the other pc on explorer,

Find PC

or in explorer typing \\mshome\the_pc_name\the_name_you_shared_c_as in the top bar
edit - hmm, it might just be
\\the_pc_name\the_name_you_shared_c_as in the top bar

Often the network exists and widows is a bit slow to catch on. Once it has found it and you have mapped network drives etc everything is peachy.
Well done fella, I tried this yesterday evening and lo and behold it worked ! Having tested it out I seem to be able to move files from one PC to another and vice versa, so it's a go-er ! Thanks very much for your help again, I might now start another thread concerning remote admin software over a home network, as I'm wondering about looking at using some software like PC Anywhere (more to gain experience in using it than for any specific reason really).

And once again thanks for all your helpful posts, you're a bunch of diamond geezers !
Old 15-02-2005, 10:39   #45
SMHarman
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by greencreeper
You could try \\IP\sharename instead of \\pcname\sharename - if the IP works, that something is amiss with naming.
Didn't know you could do that, might mean I can find my iomega NAS drive on my W98 PC, the discover tool does not want to, ahem discover it, so

\\192.168.1.104\IomegaNAS7D5\ should work. A task for tonight.