Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Which modem router for me ?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Which modem router for me ?

Old 11-02-2005, 15:28   #16
domtheboy
Inactive

domtheboy is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Which modem router for me ?

Hi again chaps

Can any of you clarify something for me - my other half has been asking for some advice from one of her network engineers (she works for a telecoms company). They have recommended that we use a "switch" such as this one:

http://www.netgear.com/products/details/FS105.php

and this will be sufficient to sort out our network. Can anyone advise if this is correct or not ?
domtheboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 11-02-2005, 15:32   #17
Rik
cf.mega poster

Services: 1Gbps Broadband
Rik has a very nice sixpackRik has a very nice sixpackRik has a very nice sixpackRik has a very nice sixpackRik has a very nice sixpackRik has a very nice sixpackRik has a very nice sixpackRik has a very nice sixpackRik has a very nice sixpackRik has a very nice sixpackRik has a very nice sixpackRik has a very nice sixpackRik has a very nice sixpackRik has a very nice sixpackRik has a very nice sixpackRik has a very nice sixpack

I strongly recommend 3Com Cable/DSL gateways or if your budget stretches to a 3Com VPN Firewall go for one of those

http://www.3com.com/prod/en_UK_EMEA/...&subcat=134490
Rik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2005, 15:43   #18
domtheboy
Inactive

Bump...
Old 11-02-2005, 15:48   #19
SMHarman
Inactive

Services: Cablevision
SMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronze
SMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by domtheboy
Hi again chaps

Can any of you clarify something for me - my other half has been asking for some advice from one of her network engineers (she works for a telecoms company). They have recommended that we use a "switch" such as this one:

http://www.netgear.com/products/details/FS105.php

and this will be sufficient to sort out our network. Can anyone advise if this is correct or not ?
No it won't. This is just a switch. NTL only give you one IP address, a router will take this and share it between all the attached devices (using the magic of DCHP). The Routers suggested have a built in 4 port switch.

Now if you end up with more than 4 PCs at home, you will buy one of those and connect it to your router and connect the next 4 PCs to it. and so on until you get to 253 when you need a bigger router and subnets and a network engineer.

Get the linksys.
SMHarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2005, 15:57   #20
domtheboy
Inactive

Right, so just to make sure I've understood correctly the difference between the router and the switch is that the router will share the 1 IP address, whereas the switch will not ?

Sounds like she is working with some shady engineers ! Either that or they are assuming that we already have a router of course. Right, thanks again.
Old 11-02-2005, 16:13   #21
SMHarman
Inactive

Services: Cablevision
SMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronze
SMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronze

Yep

Nope, just home networking results in a pile of corporate networking bits in a box. That box includes, firewall, NAT, DCHP server, Router and Switch.
SMHarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2005, 18:08   #22
domtheboy
Inactive

Smile Re: Which modem router for me ?

Hi again

Right - just got back from my expedition to PC World - they didn't have the Linksys router I wanted originally, so I've ended up plumping for another Linksys, the BEFSR 41. Having read all the details I think it should work okay - I'm going to work on setting it up this evening so will let you know how I get on ;-)

Dom
Old 11-02-2005, 18:14   #23
homealone

Quote:
Hi again

Right - just got back from my expedition to PC World - they didn't have the Linksys router I wanted originally, so I've ended up plumping for another Linksys, the BEFSR 41. Having read all the details I think it should work okay - I'm going to work on setting it up this evening so will let you know how I get on ;-)

Dom
I have one of those - it was a doddle to set up, it literally worked straight out of the box using the default settings.
Old 11-02-2005, 20:02   #24
domtheboy
Inactive

Hi chaps !

Right, the router seems to be working fine, internet connection sharing set itself up immediately so an absolute doddle on that score.

Now comes the tricky part that I seem to have come unstuck on - actually setting up my home network ! We've run the network connection wizard on both of the PC's but not much seems to have happened, I can't see the other PC's details when looking in windows explorer for example.

Can anyone suggest where I may be going wrong ?

Thanks !

Dom
Old 11-02-2005, 20:07   #25
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny stars

do the pc's have the network name if they don't they won't find each other

it should be under your network properties
Old 11-02-2005, 20:12   #26
Tezcatlipoca
Inactive

Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars
Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Hi chaps !

Right, the router seems to be working fine, internet connection sharing set itself up immediately so an absolute doddle on that score.

Now comes the tricky part that I seem to have come unstuck on - actually setting up my home network ! We've run the network connection wizard on both of the PC's but not much seems to have happened, I can't see the other PC's details when looking in windows explorer for example.

Can anyone suggest where I may be going wrong ?

Thanks !

Dom

Have a look here for some info - http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/sh...ad.php?t=16565
Tezcatlipoca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2005, 20:58   #27
aliferste
cf.mega poster

aliferste has reached the bronze age
aliferste has reached the bronze agealiferste has reached the bronze agealiferste has reached the bronze age
Send a message via MSN to aliferste

Why cant you use a crossover cable?
Old 11-02-2005, 21:12   #28
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by aliferste
a cross over cable is used to connect two PCs with network card together directly.
Old 11-02-2005, 21:13   #29
JohnHorb

Services: 10MB Broadband, DTV, Telephone

Quote:
Originally Posted by aliferste
For what?
Old 11-02-2005, 23:02   #30
aliferste
cf.mega poster

aliferste has reached the bronze age
aliferste has reached the bronze agealiferste has reached the bronze agealiferste has reached the bronze age
Send a message via MSN to aliferste

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnHorb
For what?
When you use a router?

I have had to buy a router but I have a crossover cable (long story) can I use it until I get the other cable?