Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Streaming services news, offers and general chit chat

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Streaming services news, offers and general chit chat

Old 03-02-2024, 18:12   #2206
TimeLord2018
cf.geek

TimeLord2018 is just really niceTimeLord2018 is just really niceTimeLord2018 is just really niceTimeLord2018 is just really niceTimeLord2018 is just really niceTimeLord2018 is just really nice
Re: Streaming services news, offers and general chit chat

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post
Who do you think has bought the rights? Sky? Amazon?
Not all of them are Paramount owned titles though, Paramount still sell content to both Sky & UKTV amongst others aswell shows they produce for other streaming services.

Last edited by TimeLord2018; 03-02-2024 at 19:37.
TimeLord2018 is online now   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 03-02-2024, 20:17   #2207
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Only a matter of time before a regulator steps in and tells these streaming services they have to offer transparency to end users around what they are actually buying and where content is time limited to include that in available data to prospective buyers.
jfman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2024, 10:20   #2208
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
Only a matter of time before a regulator steps in and tells these streaming services they have to offer transparency to end users around what they are actually buying and where content is time limited to include that in available data to prospective buyers.
I doubt that. You often have only one opportunity to watch a programme on a TV channel (unless you record it). No-one complains about that.

However, I do think it would be advantageous to viewers if the streamers could flag up the date on which content is scheduled to be withdrawn, as the BBCi-Player does.
Old 04-02-2024, 10:28   #2209
TimeLord2018
cf.geek

TimeLord2018 is just really niceTimeLord2018 is just really niceTimeLord2018 is just really niceTimeLord2018 is just really niceTimeLord2018 is just really niceTimeLord2018 is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
I doubt that. You often have only one opportunity to watch a programme on a TV channel (unless you record it). No-one complains about that.

However, I do think it would be advantageous to viewers if the streamers could flag up the date on which content is scheduled to be withdrawn, as the BBCi-Player does.
These weren't scheduled removals though, Paramount+ UK had the rights to season 1 of Quantum Leap from NBC Universal until July 2026, the originals were 2033 to 2038.

Were removed as part of cost cutting by Paramount Global.

Last edited by TimeLord2018; 04-02-2024 at 10:41.
Old 04-02-2024, 10:46   #2210
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
They aren’t selling you one thing and giving consumers another. You may care little for consumers getting swindled by big media conglomerates and tech companies, but others will take a different view.

They’re promising massive libraries of content to watch at your convenience and naming many of these series in their advertising.

Sky telling you, for example, “that the final series of Succession starts in March” carries with it expectations that consumers clearly know and understand.

Quote:
The emperor didn’t advertise that he had no clothes.

---------- Post added at 10:46 ---------- Previous post was at 10:44 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeLord2018 View Post
These weren't scheduled removals though, Paramount+ UK had the rights to season 1 of Quantum Leap from NBC Universal until July 2026, the originals were 2033 to 2038.

As actors, producers, writers claim ever increasing amounts in ongoing royalties we are only going to see more of this to keep costs down in streamers back catalogues.
Old 04-02-2024, 12:48   #2211
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeLord2018 View Post

These were cynical removals. If they'd been customer focused they would have given subscribers sufficient notice that they were leaving the platform. And Paramount + encouraged subscribers to pay annually with a generous discount if they did - so it's not as if all discontented subscribers can just cancel their monthly direct debits.

I've no issues with companies balancing the books as they won't be around if they don't. But Paramount's approach verges on the unethical and tarnishes the reputation of the streaming sector.
1andrew1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2024, 13:57   #2212
Itshim
Do I care what you think

Services: V6 ,Virgin L. Phone Broadband.sky go Netflix
Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal
Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post
These were cynical removals. If they'd been customer focused they would have given subscribers sufficient notice that they were leaving the platform. And Paramount + encouraged subscribers to pay annually with a generous discount if they did - so it's not as if all discontented subscribers can just cancel their monthly direct debits.

I've no issues with companies balancing the books as they won't be around if they don't. But Paramount's approach verges on the unethical and tarnishes the reputation of the streaming sector.
US channels have dropped shows for decades without notice , nothing new. That's why I used to wait for reruns
Old 04-02-2024, 14:26   #2213
jfman
Architect of Ideas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itshim View Post
US channels have dropped shows for decades without notice , nothing new. That's why I used to wait for reruns
A show being dropped because it’s cancelled is one thing, moving to another network less common. But owning the rights and not broadcasting it to save on royalties is completely wild.

It also raises significant competition concerns if these services are buying up content, not using it, simply to prevent an alternative streamer picking the rights up. Another area I’m sure the competition regulators in the US and EU will take note of. The UK regulators, are rule-takers in the global market - will no doubt sheepishly concur once one of the big boys act.
Old 04-02-2024, 17:35   #2214
Itshim
Do I care what you think

Services: V6 ,Virgin L. Phone Broadband.sky go Netflix
Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal
Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal

Has been suggested, at a friend's party ( he worked, stress worked) in TV that the writer's guild strike has some bearing on the decision to cutback . He said download , record anything you can, or just stick to films!
Old 04-02-2024, 21:53   #2215
buckeye
cf.addict

buckeye is just really nicebuckeye is just really nicebuckeye is just really nicebuckeye is just really nicebuckeye is just really nicebuckeye is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
A show being dropped because it’s cancelled is one thing, moving to another network less common. But owning the rights and not broadcasting it to save on royalties is completely wild.

It also raises significant competition concerns if these services are buying up content, not using it, simply to prevent an alternative streamer picking the rights up. Another area I’m sure the competition regulators in the US and EU will take note of. The UK regulators, are rule-takers in the global market - will no doubt sheepishly concur once one of the big boys act.
This is not the first time Paramount+ have had a mass cull of content in their short lifespan, if I hadn't secured a deal to get their service for less than £3 a month I wouldn't still be a customer of theirs!
This streaming future is rapidly becoming worse than the old ways of paying for channels you don't want to get the ones you do want!
buckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2024, 23:00   #2216
jfman
Architect of Ideas

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeye View Post
This is not the first time Paramount+ have had a mass cull of content in their short lifespan, if I hadn't secured a deal to get their service for less than £3 a month I wouldn't still be a customer of theirs!
This streaming future is rapidly becoming worse than the old ways of paying for channels you don't want to get the ones you do want!
It’s certainly a massive risk for trustworthiness of streamers if they are unreliable for content, reducing choice and reneging on their promises of “no ads”.

In an increasingly fragmented market, with rising prices across the board, I’d be completely unsurprised if the consumers in the market ultimately coalesce around trusted brands like Sky (or Virgin). They’ll ultimately have a presence in many households anyway, therefore having the advantage of bundling with fixed line broadband and mobile.
Old 05-02-2024, 10:29   #2217
djmagnifique
cf.geek

Services: XL tv with 2x V6 boxes, M phone, 350Mb broadband
djmagnifique has a reputation beyond reputedjmagnifique has a reputation beyond reputedjmagnifique has a reputation beyond reputedjmagnifique has a reputation beyond reputedjmagnifique has a reputation beyond reputedjmagnifique has a reputation beyond reputedjmagnifique has a reputation beyond reputedjmagnifique has a reputation beyond reputedjmagnifique has a reputation beyond reputedjmagnifique has a reputation beyond reputedjmagnifique has a reputation beyond reputedjmagnifique has a reputation beyond reputedjmagnifique has a reputation beyond repute

Watching Good Omens on Amazon and the ads have kicked in. Not too bad so far, 40 seconds of ads before the show and 1 20-30 second ad part way through. I can cope with that if it stays that way.
djmagnifique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2024, 16:05   #2218
MatthewEastaugh
cf.member

MatthewEastaugh is just really niceMatthewEastaugh is just really niceMatthewEastaugh is just really niceMatthewEastaugh is just really niceMatthewEastaugh is just really niceMatthewEastaugh is just really nice

Also noted here that the previously announced second series of 'The Flatshare' on Paramount Plus will no longer be going ahead:
https://www.digitalspy.com/tv/ustv/a...led-paramount/
Seems a pretty massive 'scaling back' on ambitions for P+.

More details:
https://www.geektown.co.uk/2024/02/0...-paramount-uk/

Last edited by MatthewEastaugh; 05-02-2024 at 16:10.
MatthewEastaugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2024, 16:44   #2219
buckeye
cf.addict

buckeye is just really nicebuckeye is just really nicebuckeye is just really nicebuckeye is just really nicebuckeye is just really nicebuckeye is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmagnifique View Post
Watching Good Omens on Amazon and the ads have kicked in. Not too bad so far, 40 seconds of ads before the show and 1 20-30 second ad part way through. I can cope with that if it stays that way.
I thought Amazon said they'd have the least ads of any streamer?
That's far worse than I've experienced on Netflix so far, in 4 hours of viewing since my Netflix account switched to the ad tier I've only had two 40 second ads.
The high seas are beckoning me to return
buckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2024, 16:52   #2220
TimeLord2018
cf.geek

On average Amazon say expected to be 2-3 and half minutes of ads per hour , in some programs an ad will appear before it begins playing.
https://9to5mac.com/2024/01/29/amazo...e-video-ads-3/
Flag

Netflix say an average of about 4 mins of ads per hour may vary depending on the title
https://help.netflix.com/en/node/126831

Last edited by TimeLord2018; 05-02-2024 at 16:58.