Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | recommend me a N router

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

recommend me a N router

Old 03-02-2010, 14:39   #1
GazCBG
cf.mega poster

Services: 350Mb (Hub 3) | TV: 2x TiVo on XL | Phone
GazCBG is a jewel in the roughGazCBG is a jewel in the roughGazCBG is a jewel in the roughGazCBG is a jewel in the roughGazCBG is a jewel in the rough
recommend me a N router

Hi,

Can anyone recommend a router, I am using the Virgin Media 50Mb, so it needs to be an N router.

At the moment I am using it for

2x PC's both wired.
1x XBox 360 Wired but may go wireless 1 day to put it downstairs.
1x Laptop wireless via Netgear N USB adapter.

I currently have the Netgear WNR2000 but it seems to be slowing down browsing.

Budget: £85 maybe £90

Was looking at the Belkin N1 Vision Wireless Cable/DSL Gigabit Router what do you think to that?
GazCBG is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 03-02-2010, 15:02   #2
pabscars
Inactive

Services: TiVo, 75 Smeg Broadband
pabscars has reached the bronze age
pabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze age
Re: recommend me a N router

Hay up big gaz, I used to use the WNR2000 which performed v/well wired but was poor IMO for wireless, and after trying the free D-link from VM decided that was no better.

I purchased the Linksys WRT610N, which might be a little above your price range but seems to be servicing 2x Xbox's, 1 x PS3, 1 Laptop and 1PC pretty well.

This is also a simultaneous dual band router broadcasting at 2.4 and 5 Hz at the same time.

I nearly bought the N1 Vision but the bloke in the shop said they had had a lot come back with failures of some sort, which put me off.

Not only that I'd read a bit about people having problems getting a decent NAT when on Xbox Live.

I cant confirm nor deny this but half the time you go off word of mouth,

All I can say is when I picked up the Linksys and went to the till to pay for it, the girl behind the till said "Ive got one of those and theyre good" and she was a gamer too albeit PC format.

The only additional advice I can give is, mine got hacked within 24 hours of me installing it, because I didn't change the name and password to access the router log in web page.

So one hard reset later and a secure password and all has been well ever since.
pabscars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 15:07   #3
altis
cf.mega poster

altis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny star
altis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny star

All your answers here:

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/compo...189/chart,119/
altis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 15:34   #4
pabscars
Inactive

Services: TiVo, 75 Smeg Broadband
pabscars has reached the bronze age
pabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze age

Nice link sir
pabscars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 15:54   #5
altis
cf.mega poster

altis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny star
altis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny star

You're welcome.
altis is offline   Reply With Quote