Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | adding a switch to my network

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

adding a switch to my network

Old 28-02-2010, 10:46   #1
shadowseeker
Inactive

shadowseeker is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy adding a switch to my network

hiya people,

wonder if anyone can help with this problem i have, i have a d-link dir-615 virgin router and i am trying to add a switch to it to extend my network. i have run an ethernet cable from the router in the lounge up into my loft where i have the switch then i was going to run ethernet cables down into my bedrooms for internet access.

i cant get any network accesss from the switch and from what i can see the router dont even see the switch. i have tried two different switches and have also tried straight through and cross over ethernet cables. i have asked various people why it wont work and they all tell me that there is no reason it shouldnt work as you just plug a switch in and it works...there is nothing not to work.

the only reason they could all come up with is that because it is a virgin router, something has been switched off inside that stops the switch being seen, someone said about flashing the rom but then also said virgin wouldnt like that.

this is my last effort at trying to get this switch working before i rip the whole thing out and forget the idea of internet in the bedrooms.

ive tried ringing virgin but got no where so thought i would try on here

please help

graham
shadowseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 28-02-2010, 10:53   #2
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Re: adding a switch to my network

Welcome to the forum

Is the switch auto-sensing on the cable type.. If not then you should have a switch on one of the ports to cross over the link to enable a hub* to talk to a hub* (*switch/router).. Otherwise it'll have to be a cross-over cable (you can tell one as if you hold the ends together side by side the colors do NOT match pin for pin)
Kymmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2010, 10:54   #3
Jon T
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media Telephone and 100Mb broadband, Sky Q
Jon T has reached the bronze age
Jon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze age

Your router should have a indicator on it for each of the ethernet ports, so should your switch. You need to check that the indicator iis lit up on each device for the port that has the cable plugged in that is linking to the other device.

No point going any further until until we've looked at that.
Jon T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2010, 10:57   #4
shadowseeker
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon T View Post
Your router shold have a indicator on it for each of the ethernet ports, so should your switch. You need to check that the indicator iis lit up on each device for the port that has the cable plugged in that is linking to the other device.

No point going any further until until we've looked at that.
the router is showing the light for the ethernet cable running into my loft where the switch is and the switch shows a power light and also the light from the ethernet cable coming from the router is lit and flashing but not as fast as i would expect for data transfer...it more like an indicator on a car lol
Old 28-02-2010, 10:58   #5
LondonRoad
Inactive

Services: 30mb BB, XL TV, V+, TiVo, talk unlimited.
LondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny star
LondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny star

Post what make/model switch it is and you'll get the most helpful responses.
LondonRoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2010, 11:02   #6
shadowseeker
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kymmy View Post
Welcome to the forum

Is the switch auto-sensing on the cable type.. If not then you should have a switch on one of the ports to cross over the link to enable a hub* to talk to a hub* (*switch/router).. Otherwise it'll have to be a cross-over cable (you can tell one as if you hold the ends together side by side the colors do NOT match pin for pin)
i belive the switch is auto sensing as all 8 ports are all the same but thought i would try a crossed cable just incase

---------- Post added at 11:02 ---------- Previous post was at 10:59 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by LondonRoad View Post
Post what make/model switch it is and you'll get the most helpful responses.
the switch is a maplin cheep one...its got no real name to it but it is a auto sensing 10/100 Mbps, it has 8 10/100 rj45 sockets with full and half duplex and on ports and uplink compatibility on every socket
Old 28-02-2010, 11:05   #7
Jon T
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media Telephone and 100Mb broadband, Sky Q
Jon T has reached the bronze age
Jon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze age

Faulty switch?

Was a manual included with it, does it say anything about what a slow flashing could mean?
Jon T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2010, 11:10   #8
shadowseeker
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon T View Post
Faulty switch?

Was a manual included with it, does it say anything about what a slow flashing could mean?
its the second switch ive tried, took the first one back saying it wouldnt work and they looked at me strange, there is nothing in the manual saying about a slow flashing light it just says a blinking light mean data transfer dont mention speed of blinkning.
this is why i thought it might be something on the virgin router rather than the switch
Old 28-02-2010, 11:10   #9
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowseeker View Post
the switch is a maplin cheep one...its got no real name to it but it is a auto sensing 10/100 Mbps, it has 8 10/100 rj45 sockets with full and half duplex and on ports and uplink compatibility on every socket
The bit in red is the crucial bit, means that it doesn;t need a crossover cable and will not have a switch to uplink/downlink..

Try another cable that you know is definately working, if not then there's a hardware fault somewhere
Kymmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2010, 11:12   #10
shadowseeker
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kymmy View Post
The bit in red is the crucial bit, means that it doesn;t need a crossover cable and will not have a switch to uplink/downlink..

Try another cable that you know is definately working, if not then there's a hardware fault somewhere
thanx for confirming that...i thought that was the case but tried it anyway just to rule it out
Old 28-02-2010, 11:34   #11
Dai
Inactive

Services: 50Mb, TV & Phone
Dai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronze
Dai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronze
Send a message via MSN to Dai

I'd bring the switch downstairs next to the router and try it with a known-good cable next. That takes the long cable to the loft out of the equation. If it works you'll know to check that cable next.
Dai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2010, 11:49   #12
shadowseeker
Inactive

ok people....ive been having a play with the cable and i seem to have internet conection throught the router....dont know what i have done but my son has got his xbox online in his bedroom so i think thats an improvment but it seems to be extreamloy slow...dont know if its the internet through the switch or the xbox servers