Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Connecting 1 wireless router to another - HELP please!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Connecting 1 wireless router to another - HELP please!
Closed Thread

Old 09-02-2010, 17:14   #1
SteevieNiteHeat
Permanently Banned

SteevieNiteHeat is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy Connecting 1 wireless router to another - HELP please!

Hi! long time no post and this is a big problem!

Situation:
Recently moved into a house just a few feet away from my previous landladys, here is a 6month short assured lease, so cannot get Virgin or other internet services as i cant predict how long im gonna be living here :-(

Now if I place my laptop on the window sill & stand there with it I can still connect to previous landlady's wireless internet (with her permission of course)

Her wireless router is a 54G Belkin, and I have nearly the same model that I bought to mine, question is, how can I wirelessly connect the routers so I can have internet access at mine going through hers?

My modem has WDS on, but hers dont, and if I set hers to be an access point, she looses her connection.

Surely there's gotta be a better alternative than having to stand the laptop on the window sill to access the net?

Anyone have any idea's please?
Advertisement
Old 09-02-2010, 17:17   #2
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Connecting 1 wireless router to another - HELP please!

I'm sure someone will be able to answer the setup issues.

But a word of warning. However helpful your ex landlady may think she is being, she would probably be in breach of her ISP's terms of use. Few if any internet providers allow connection by other than the household being supplied.
Old 11-02-2010, 11:16   #3
SteevieNiteHeat
Permanently Banned

Thanks Rob, I also still have my desktop PC there as I have very little space in my new place, so I could only bring my laptop with me, so it'd be good to still be able to access my desktop thats across the road from here!

I have read Belkin's guide to wirelessly connect 2 routers via WDS, I have followed everything to the letter, but still the connection light on my router still flashes, the only time it is stable is if I chane MY router to use as an access point, which changes the router's IP address, but even with the connected light constantly on with my router, i cannot either ping the other router or get any website, I have tried connecting my laptop to my router both wireless & wired, but still no good and I am about to start pulling my hair out!!!

IS there anybody that can help PLEASE??
Old 13-02-2010, 23:59   #4
SteevieNiteHeat
Permanently Banned

Well, is it a case of nobody CAN help me or nobody WILL help me????

I'm not asking too much here, after all, this is a forum to ASK for help when it is needed!!

Jees thanks guys n gals!
Old 14-02-2010, 02:12   #5
darren.b
cf.addict

darren.b has a spectacular aura about themdarren.b has a spectacular aura about themdarren.b has a spectacular aura about themdarren.b has a spectacular aura about them

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteevieNiteHeat View Post

I'm not asking too much here, after all, this is a forum to ASK for help when it is needed!!

Jees thanks guys n gals!
Attitude!

Probably nobody saw your thread buried amongst 100s of others (good subject lines help). Peeps here volunteer their knowledge for nothing. Respect that. Mouthing off because you didn't get what you wanted isn't cool.

If you want professional help, pay for it. Or be patient. Or use Google. Being abusive when nobody jumped when you clicked your fingers isn't the best way to go about things.
Old 15-02-2010, 10:41   #6
SteevieNiteHeat
Permanently Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by solcuerda View Post
Attitude!

Probably nobody saw your thread buried amongst 100s of others (good subject lines help). Peeps here volunteer their knowledge for nothing. Respect that. Mouthing off because you didn't get what you wanted isn't cool.

If you want professional help, pay for it. Or be patient. Or use Google. Being abusive when nobody jumped when you clicked your fingers isn't the best way to go about things.
With the greatest of respect, i was NOT mouthing off as you put it, and I dont see anywhere where I was abusive, a bit fustrated yes, but by no way abusive.

So if you want to post, DONT go moaning & having a go at people, wow anybody can do that so please do not have a go at me for being a bit fustrated & impatient because I want to actually accomplish something that I have started...

And yes, you are right, a good subject that outlines the help you need DOES help, and I think that the subject line here DOES do exactly that, and to be quite honest, at times I cant quite find the right words in the right order, such as when searching, I will try every combination of the words to try and find the results, but mostly I cannot do this, thank you for highlighting a disability of mine.
Old 15-02-2010, 10:43   #7
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:

Jees thanks guys n gals!
Been busy for a few days and was gonna suggest a few solutions... Now after that outburst I think I'll do something worth while instead
Old 15-02-2010, 17:45   #8
ZrByte
Inactive

ZrByte has a bronzed appealZrByte has a bronzed appeal
ZrByte has a bronzed appealZrByte has a bronzed appealZrByte has a bronzed appealZrByte has a bronzed appealZrByte has a bronzed appealZrByte has a bronzed appeal
Send a message via MSN to ZrByte

And its posts like that which make people happy NOT to help.
Old 15-02-2010, 17:50   #9
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Fine, I have explained that my post was not an outburst, but if you think like that fine!!!

The worst problem about communicating via text and not in person is that things can be interpreted in more than 1 way an I have realised that on this forum no matter who you are, YOU ALL assume its an outburst or having a go or what-not but hey, i dont really care anymore!!!

I used to really love this forum and would spend most of my time here, but I now have a life so ALL of you can **** off and ban me, i dont need **** from complete muppets!!!
We you'll get you request

Next time you word that cannot be taken wrongly, and attacking a members sexuallity will get you nowhere from he many friends Straight or Gay.

---------- Post added at 17:50 ---------- Previous post was at 17:48 ----------

That guy is the kind of members that this forum can do well to see tha back off
Old 15-02-2010, 17:51   #10
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

Thread closed. Bye.

Baby, I was born this way.
Closed Thread