Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Help wanted..pleassssse

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Help wanted..pleassssse

Old 06-01-2010, 17:00   #1
John f11
Inactive

John f11 is an unknown quantity at this point
Help wanted..pleassssse

A while ago i set up a home network, just to connect to the internet and not to share files between pc's. I have a belkin g wireless router but only used the cables to connect and disabled the wireless ability.
Now i want to connect with other wireless equipment but can't figure out how to turn on the wireless !! Can anyone give me a step by step? or somewhere near that.
Thanks in advance
John f11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 06-01-2010, 17:08   #2
icestar2
Inactive

Services: Phone, HDTV, 30MB BB, Tivo
icestar2 has a bronzed appealicestar2 has a bronzed appeal
icestar2 has a bronzed appealicestar2 has a bronzed appealicestar2 has a bronzed appealicestar2 has a bronzed appealicestar2 has a bronzed appealicestar2 has a bronzed appealicestar2 has a bronzed appealicestar2 has a bronzed appeal
Re: Help wanted..pleassssse

This is for my Belkin Router not sure your model so might be slightly diffrent but hopefully not.

1. Open your Web Browser (Internet explorer, Firefox etc etc)

2. Type http://192.168.2.1/

3. Look for Wireless option (on left hand side in my settings) and click on Channel and SSID and thats were you set it all up. (I assume you know what to do from here ?)

Note* You may be asked for a password. If you didnt set one up then just click submit but if you did then just enter it first. If not sure check your manual.

Hope you get it all working ok
icestar2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 22:52   #3
John f11
Inactive

John f11 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thats the address i needed, sorted now.
Thanks icestar2... you're a star
John f11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 23:17   #4
icestar2
Inactive

Services: Phone, HDTV, 30MB BB, Tivo
icestar2 has a bronzed appealicestar2 has a bronzed appeal
icestar2 has a bronzed appealicestar2 has a bronzed appealicestar2 has a bronzed appealicestar2 has a bronzed appealicestar2 has a bronzed appealicestar2 has a bronzed appealicestar2 has a bronzed appealicestar2 has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by John f11 View Post
Thats the address i needed, sorted now.
Thanks icestar2... you're a star
Your most welcome buddy
icestar2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 12:17   #5
Maestromitch
Inactive

Maestromitch is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi folks

I'm new here, so please forgive me if there is a more convenient thread to place this problem.

I'm currently in my first year at uni, and I am unable to get internet in my room. I was able to get internet in the first term, but now I can't! I have no idea why! Here's what happens:

When I plug in the ethernet network cable, the laptop recognises that there is a cable connected, but it doesn't send or receive any information. When I go into Network connections and have a look at the connection status, there is no IP address, default gateway etc. info! It must be a problem with my laptop because my flatmate tried connecting to the net in my room via his laptop and it worked fine!

The internet service provider that the accommodation use is Ask4, and they don't know whats wrong with it! They suggested it might be a driver problem..(?)

I'm using Windows XP Media Centre Edition on a Dell Inspiron 6400 btw.

Any help would be brilliant!

Cheers,
Maestromitch
Maestromitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 12:20   #6
webcrawler2050
Inactive

Services: TiVo 110MB BB Phone Line
webcrawler2050 has reached the bronze age
webcrawler2050 has reached the bronze agewebcrawler2050 has reached the bronze agewebcrawler2050 has reached the bronze agewebcrawler2050 has reached the bronze agewebcrawler2050 has reached the bronze agewebcrawler2050 has reached the bronze agewebcrawler2050 has reached the bronze age
Send a message via MSN to webcrawler2050

Press Windows Key + R. You should get the run box..

in the run box type cmd, press enter

in the black box, type ipconfig /release press enter

and then type, ipconfig /renew

Do the above with the network cable plugged in and try your internet connection again.
webcrawler2050 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 18:03   #7
Maestromitch
Inactive

Maestromitch is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by webcrawler2050 View Post
Press Windows Key + R. You should get the run box..

in the run box type cmd, press enter

in the black box, type ipconfig /release press enter

and then type, ipconfig /renew

Do the above with the network cable plugged in and try your internet connection again.
I tried that, but nothing happened. The computer is still not sending or receiving any data. I can't get on the net. When I typed in 'ipconfig/release' it came up with 'Windows XP configuration', and the same for 'ipconfig/renew'. It came up with 'Windows xp configuration' immediately without having to 'think' about it.

Is there anything else I can try???

Cheers
Maestromitch
Maestromitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 18:26   #8
webcrawler2050
Inactive

Services: TiVo 110MB BB Phone Line
webcrawler2050 has reached the bronze age
webcrawler2050 has reached the bronze agewebcrawler2050 has reached the bronze agewebcrawler2050 has reached the bronze agewebcrawler2050 has reached the bronze agewebcrawler2050 has reached the bronze agewebcrawler2050 has reached the bronze agewebcrawler2050 has reached the bronze age
Send a message via MSN to webcrawler2050

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maestromitch View Post
I tried that, but nothing happened. The computer is still not sending or receiving any data. I can't get on the net. When I typed in 'ipconfig/release' it came up with 'Windows XP configuration', and the same for 'ipconfig/renew'. It came up with 'Windows xp configuration' immediately without having to 'think' about it.

Is there anything else I can try???

Cheers
Maestromitch

Right click on my computer, go to hardware >>Device Manager >> Network adapters, find the "LAN" right click on it and it should say "The device is functioning normally"
webcrawler2050 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 18:40   #9
idi banashapan
step on my trip

idi banashapan has a nice shiny star
idi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny star

I'd remove it the device from the device manager and then scan for hardware changes to reinstall it. This should help clear any underlying issues with settings