Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | MPs to vote on smoking ban for those born after 2009

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Lifestyle
Register FAQ Community Calendar

MPs to vote on smoking ban for those born after 2009

Old 17-04-2024, 12:31   #16
mrmistoffelees

Services: Many
mrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronze
mrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronze
Re: MPs to vote on smoking ban for those born after 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
Is his point not that they are (within a reasonable margin of error) pretty much the same across the whole spectrum?

It doesn’t require anything more than someone who favours banning but not the other to consider why the same doesn’t apply and what the difference is. If your point would be that it’s not as addictive then fine. But I don’t think it’s fair to dismiss the comparison as whataboutery.

(For the declaration I don’t smoke but do enjoy the odd beer, rum or glass of wine)

---------- Post added at 12:01 ---------- Previous post was at 11:55 ----------

I think there’s something in the fact very many people can enjoy drinking in moderation in a way that isn’t often found in smokers. Growing up I knew of far more adults who smoked 20 or 30 a day, those still alive now paying the price in terms of their health, than would sit and drink to excess daily or even weekly.

That’s not to say there aren’t people who do, or that their addictions haven’t caused the same or worse financial, social or health impacts.
Not sure there are people who only smoke when they they drink, there’s those who smoke <= 10 a day, then you get to my level at about 20 a day and then you can move up the scale to 40/60 a day. Although I don’t know many in that last bracket

One thing this will most likely lead to is an increase in the production/consumption of counterfeit cigarettes and the lovingly known as ‘fag houses’
Old 17-04-2024, 16:13   #17
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny stars

Someone said on the news smokers bad health costs more than the money cigarettes bring in.

I remember walking in to the Holiday camp bar the day before the ban i could see the wall on the other side.

the following day I could see the wall outside the window.

The trouble is some (not all) smokers think they have a god given right to smoke anywhere, once where I worked we had a fire alarm and the second they got out they stopped to light up, and stopped people evacuating.

The evacuation was due to a suspected gas leak, the company had a no smoking on site, especially during a drill.

they all got written warnings.
Old 18-04-2024, 20:26   #18
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmistoffelees View Post
Not sure there are people who only smoke when they they drink, there’s those who smoke <= 10 a day, then you get to my level at about 20 a day and then you can move up the scale to 40/60 a day. Although I don’t know many in that last bracket

One thing this will most likely lead to is an increase in the production/consumption of counterfeit cigarettes and the lovingly known as ‘fag houses’
I used to be a social smoker. Only smoking on a weekend when out. Never ever touched one during the day or during the week.

I think it could be a good thing especially for people's health.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hom3r View Post
Someone said on the news smokers bad health costs more than the money cigarettes bring in.

I remember walking in to the Holiday camp bar the day before the ban i could see the wall on the other side.

the following day I could see the wall outside the window.

The trouble is some (not all) smokers think they have a god given right to smoke anywhere, once where I worked we had a fire alarm and the second they got out they stopped to light up, and stopped people evacuating.

The evacuation was due to a suspected gas leak, the company had a no smoking on site, especially during a drill.

they all got written warnings.
That happened at nearly every place I worked. As soon as smoker came out during an evacuation or drill they would light up no matter what.
Old 18-04-2024, 20:42   #19
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

Remember similar whinging when smoking was banned in pubs and indoor spaces. All good moves that nobody would dream on going back on now.
Mr K is offline   Reply With Quote