Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Updated: Boris resigns as party leader

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Updated: Boris resigns as party leader
Closed Thread

Old 19-05-2022, 21:46   #2236
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
Re: Partygate & Beergate discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post
I seriously doubt thats even remotely true.
I wish I lived in such a world where it was not remotely true. Sadly it's spot on.
https://inews.co.uk/news/boris-johns...lained-1570984
https://www.indy100.com/politics/bor...-pm-broken-law

---------- Post added at 21:46 ---------- Previous post was at 21:41 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by papa smurf View Post
It's irrelevant now bojo's in the clear, he apologised for being ambushed with a cake, all's good.
He paid a fixed penalty notice for breaking his own law. The first UK PM to have broken the law. You don't pay an FPN if you're in the clear!

The Sue Gray Report can't be far off publication, either.
Advertisement
Old 19-05-2022, 22:38   #2237
Mick
Cable Forum Team

Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star
Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post
I wish I lived in such a world where it was not remotely true. Sadly it's spot on.

He paid a fixed penalty notice for breaking his own law. The first UK PM to have broken the law. You don't pay an FPN if you're in the clear!

It won’t nail him, don’t get your hopes up.

Sorry to burst your bubble but technically, paying a FPN, puts you in the clear, I’ve said before, paying one removes the criminal liability laid against you. Once paid, there’s no criminal record.

And as I said earlier today, let’s get some perspective. He’s not been charged being a bloody axe murderer, the way some of you carry on in this thread.
Old 20-05-2022, 00:11   #2238
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick View Post
It won’t nail him, don’t get your hopes up.

Sorry to burst your bubble but technically, paying a FPN, puts you in the clear, I’ve said before, paying one removes the criminal liability laid against you. Once paid, there’s no criminal record.

And as I said earlier today, let’s get some perspective. He’s not been charged being a bloody axe murderer, the way some of you carry on in this thread.
Yup, it's less likely that he will end up having to resign. A shame for the country and the Conservative Party if he doesn't.

I've not said anywhere that Johnson has a criminal record, though.

Last edited by 1andrew1; 20-05-2022 at 00:15.
Old 20-05-2022, 07:46   #2239
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:

I don't know about that. Some say Tony Blair took us into an illegal war with Iraq. If true, that is far more serious.

It all depends on how you judge these things, but you are being very selective in your judgements, aren't you?

As for paying the fine, you know as well as I do that he did so to make this go away. Had he not paid the fine, this would have just dragged on even longer.

---------- Post added at 07:46 ---------- Previous post was at 07:39 ----------

Quote:
Yup, it's less likely that he will end up having to resign. A shame for the country and the Conservative Party if he doesn't.
Boris has taken us out of the EU, as the electorate wanted, he dealt with Covid and was the only leader to see straight away the futility of lockdowns and the solution was a vaccine, (which he ensured would be available in record time), he's getting us through this economic crisis without plunging the country into unnecessary catastrophic debt, he's got his sights on ensuring that the levelling up programme at last embraces those forgotten red wall areas that Labour has taken for granted for so long.... Why would you say that?

Oh, sorry, I forgot, you support the other side and see Boris as a major electoral threat that you can only counter by besmirching his character.

Silly me.
Old 20-05-2022, 08:06   #2240
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team

Services: VM XL TV,50 MB VM BB,VM landline, Tivo
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post
I seriously doubt thats even remotely true.
Yes I doubt it’s the first time. We probably just don’t know who has broken the law because of Parliament privileges
Old 20-05-2022, 08:31   #2241
papa smurf
vox populi vox dei

Services: every thing
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars

I bet he's the only one to be fined for being in the same room as a cake in a Tupperware box.
Old 20-05-2022, 09:56   #2242
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
I don't know about that. Some say Tony Blair took us into an illegal war with Iraq. If true, that is far more serious.

It all depends on how you judge these things, but you are being very selective in your judgements, aren't you?

As for paying the fine, you know as well as I do that he did so to make this go away. Had he not paid the fine, this would have just dragged on even longer.[COLOR="Silver"]

Boris has taken us out of the EU, as the electorate wanted, he dealt with Covid and was the only leader to see straight away the futility of lockdowns and the solution was a vaccine, (which he ensured would be available in record time), he's getting us through this economic crisis without plunging the country into unnecessary catastrophic debt, he's got his sights on ensuring that the levelling up programme at last embraces those forgotten red wall areas that Labour has taken for granted for so long.... Why would you say that?

Oh, sorry, I forgot, you support the other side and see Boris as a major electoral threat that you can only counter by besmirching his character.

Silly me.
First of all, I would like to start on a positive note and begin by agreeing with you; well, at least the bits in bold at the beginning an end of your post!

It's the stuff in the middle that I have an issue with.

Firstly, I'm not making any judgments, I've linked to two separate sources that state that Johnson is the first sitting PM to have broken the law. There are many more media sources stating this as well. (And despite their history, both sources have different owners.)

Secondly, it really doesn't matter how much you admire Johnson and believe he can do no wrong - the electorate thinks differently. That's partly why Conservative supporters like Seph want him to step down as they can see a Pickfords van outside No. 10 in 2025 if he remains in power.

However, a lot of your statements listing Johnson's successes are clearly pipe dreams. For example, national debt interest payments are at a record £70bn. The Northern Ireland Assembly is not functioning due to the cack-handed Brexit deal Johnson signed. And the red wall seats are worse off since Johnson became PM.

I don't have loyalty to any political party and have voted for them all.
Old 20-05-2022, 10:32   #2243
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:
Some say
That well known legal barometer of supposition.

On a separate note Dominic Raab playing a strong game here in the bid to succeed the hapless Boris.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...ed-covid-rules
Old 20-05-2022, 10:36   #2244
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Quote:
<SNIP>

Secondly, it really doesn't matter how much you admire Johnson and believe he can do no wrong - the electorate thinks differently. That's partly why Conservative supporters like Seph want him to step down as they can see a Pickfords van outside No. 10 in 2025 if he remains in power.

<SNIP>

Yes - I want him to step down because of his character flaws. The Partygate stuff may well recede, and his "breaking the law" is no longer an issue for me as time progresses.

But the man is a power hungry, proven liar (as in "no border in the Irish Sea"), a protector of malfeasants (Owen Paterson) and an untidy schloch. Seeing him next to the PM of Finland completely makes the point that Boris the laughing stock of Western Europe. Not how I want the UK to be represented.

My advice is at your risk.
Old 20-05-2022, 11:10   #2245
Halcyon
Hello !

Services: Sky, AppleTV, Netflix
Halcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered stars
Halcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post

Yes - I want him to step down because of his character flaws. The Partygate stuff may well recede, and his "breaking the law" is no longer an issue for me as time progresses.

But the man is a power hungry, proven liar (as in "no border in the Irish Sea"), a protector of malfeasants (Owen Paterson) and an untidy schloch. Seeing him next to the PM of Finland completely makes the point that Boris the laughing stock of Western Europe. Not how I want the UK to be represented.

He needs the boot. The government currently have the power of laughing in the publics faces. It is time to regain control and get these jokers out.

Old 20-05-2022, 12:07   #2246
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

Sue Gray Report looking like next week and may name law-breakers.
Quote:
Sue Gray wants to name civil servants who broke Covid rules at lockdown parties in and around Downing Street.

The senior civil servant is now free to publish her full report on the parties after the Metropolitan Police wound up their investigation.

The Met have not named any of the 83 individuals who have been fined.

But Ms Gray is contacting the ones she wants to name, ahead of the publication of her report, which is expected to be next week.

Those expected to be named by Ms Gray have been given until 5pm on Sunday to respond to information she intends to publish about them, it is understood.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-61520212
Old 20-05-2022, 12:43   #2247
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halcyon View Post
He needs the boot. The government currently have the power of laughing in the publics faces. It is time to regain control and get these jokers out.
He ate cake for his birthday. Big deal.

He’s not the one who’s laughing. Dominic Cummings is. And he laughs even louder when he sees people falling for his mischief-making.

My advice - when the Sue Gray report is published, possibly next week, take a good look at exactly what happened. What did Boris actually do himself that apparently broke the rules?

Then stand back and reconsider.

---------- Post added at 12:43 ---------- Previous post was at 12:33 ----------

Quote:
First of all, I would like to start on a positive note and begin by agreeing with you; well, at least the bits in bold at the beginning an end of your post!

However, a lot of your statements listing Johnson's successes are clearly pipe dreams. For example, national debt interest payments are at a record £70bn. The Northern Ireland Assembly is not functioning due to the cack-handed Brexit deal Johnson signed. And the red wall seats are worse off since Johnson became PM.

I don't have loyalty to any political party and have voted for them all.
I’ll just comment on this as to comment on the first part of your post will just send this argument into another circle.

Of course national debt has increased to £70bn. What did you expect with all the help he and the Chancellor gave to people to help them to avoid the worst economic impacts of the lockdowns and other emergency measures introduced? That doesn’t mean we have to keep over-spending forever more. There has to be a limit, unless of course you’re a Leftie.

As for the NI Assembly, you know as well as I do, because we’ve already had this debate, that it is the EU’s bureaucratic way of interpreting the Protocol that makes it unworkable.

The red wall population, like the rest of the Uk, are worse off mainly because of Russia’s war with Ukraine.

When people stand back at the next election, and look at how Boris has navigated through all of this, I don’t think they will be voting with cake in mind, but for you, this is an obsession.
Old 20-05-2022, 12:53   #2248
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

The only person more spineless than Johnson is OB in this thread.

Compare and contrast with Seph who at least wants a Conservative leader worthy of looking up to. A liar. Completely untrustworthy. Unworthy of the office of which he holds forever diminishing the UK sphere of influence and credibility.

---------- Post added at 12:52 ---------- Previous post was at 12:46 ----------

Quote:
Of course national debt has increased to £70bn. What did you expect with all the help he and the Chancellor gave to people to help them to avoid the worst economic impacts of the lockdowns and other emergency measures introduced?
To… have a plan?

Your continual portrayal of Government as a completely passive actor unable to intervene. The unfortunate victim of circumstances upon which it has no control is simply laughable.

The portrayal of spending as a “leftie” principle is as obnoxious as it is ludicrous. It’s been proven time and again you can’t save your way out of a recession and - as living standards are falling at the highest rate for 40 years - we have a Government devoid of leadership, devoid of authority and completely devoid of ideas.

---------- Post added at 12:53 ---------- Previous post was at 12:52 ----------

Quote:
The red wall population, like the rest of the Uk, are worse off mainly because of Russia’s war with Ukraine.

Nothing to do with a decade of failed macroeconomic policy or Brexit, of course.
Old 20-05-2022, 13:02   #2249
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
The only person more spineless than Johnson is OB in this thread.

Compare and contrast with Seph who at least wants a Conservative leader worthy of looking up to. A liar. Completely untrustworthy. Unworthy of the office of which he holds forever diminishing the UK sphere of influence and credibility.
I don’t call standing up against all the sanctimonious rubbish that people are spouting on about on this forum as ‘spineless’. It takes some courage to stand up to bullying behaviour such as is frequently demonstrated here.

I respect Seph’s opinion - he’s not a fan of Boris either - but I profoundly disagree with people who are deliberately hyping this up out of all proportion just because they see Boris as a threat to their left wing ‘sensitivities’ (or should I say to Labour’s chances of winning the next election).

---------- Post added at 12:58 ---------- Previous post was at 12:54 ----------

Quote:

Nothing to do with a decade of failed macroeconomic policy or Brexit, of course.
It’s to do with the 2010 recession sparked by Labour’s failure to bolster the economy during the good times and the austerity that necessarily followed, Covid and the Ukraine war.

Without those last two events, the benefits of Boris’s manifesto promises would be starting to be clear by now.

---------- Post added at 13:02 ---------- Previous post was at 12:58 ----------

Quote:

To… have a plan?

Your continual portrayal of Government as a completely passive actor unable to intervene. The unfortunate victim of circumstances upon which it has no control is simply laughable.

The portrayal of spending as a “leftie” principle is as obnoxious as it is ludicrous. It’s been proven time and again you can’t save your way out of a recession and - as living standards are falling at the highest rate for 40 years - we have a Government devoid of leadership, devoid of authority and completely devoid of ideas.
You are so hilarious, jfman! You really ought to be on the stage.

However, I must ask you…what exactly is Starmer’s plan?

I know - he’ll have a ponder with his mates over a beer after work in the hope that someone can come up with something to replace hindsight.
Old 20-05-2022, 15:00   #2250
jfman
Architect of Ideas

So it’s the Labour Government’s fault for the global financial crisis of 2008 but this Government are a victim of circumstance at every turn.

Utterly utterly laughable, OB. So ridiculous it’d be impossible to parody.

The fact the UK Labour Party are marketing themselves as slightly less shit than the Tories is irrelevant to the fact Johnson is leading the party and the country in a car crash manner.
Closed Thread