Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Nicola Bulley disappearance: police find body in river

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs

Nicola Bulley disappearance: police find body in river

Old 20-02-2023, 22:33   #31
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Re: Nicola Bulley disappearance: police find body in river

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Actually both Sky and ITV may be in breach of the Editors’ Code, clauses 3 and 4 (dealing with harassment and intrusion into grief, respectively). The fact that the family have spoken to the press in the past confers no obligation on them to speak in future and no right for journalists to pursue them. And, if asked not to continue pursuing and questioning, journalists must stop. There would have to be an overwhelming public interest argument to justify their continuing, which they absolutely will not be able to prove against the backdrop of a bereaved family asking for space in the hours after a body was discovered. Especially when intrusive, amateurish investigations are already a feature of this case. Sky and ITV had better hope the family are suitably mollified by the good kicking meted out on their behalf by the BBC this afternoon.
Yes, I expected you to be along to defend them.
My view is not changed, as far as I'm concerned this has made this into a national media event, with their help, its no good complaining about it at this stage, is just a little too late. "There would have to be an overwhelming public interest argument to justify their continuing" - it seems to me there was one - 170,000 people disappear every year, and yet this was turned into a national story.

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 20-02-2023, 22:38   #32
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post
My view is not changed, as far as I'm concerned this has made this into a national media event, with their help, its no good complaining about it at this stage, is just a little too late. "There would have to be an overwhelming public interest argument to justify their continuing" - it seems to me there was one - 170,000 people disappear every year, and yet this was turned into a national story.
When employed as a journalist, adherence to the editors’ code was part of my contract of employment. So yes, naturally I’m aware of what it says and, having done more ‘death knocks’ than I care to remember, am personally aware of just how distressing even that first approach to a bereaved family can be for them, before they’ve even considered having to ask reporters to leave them alone (thereby leaving us technically free to do so, with due sensitivity).

Oddly enough these provisions were enough to keep all the other major news outlets away, at least in the immediate aftermath of Nicola’s body being discovered. Sky and ITV are the outliers here.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2023, 23:07   #33
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Speaking to the media dies not give them permission to contact you when they want to, whatever your state of distress and your explicit requests not to.

I wouldn't blame the family for trying to raise awareness of her disappearance in the hope that she would be found alive. It's the responsible thing to do.

In this context, I can't see that there is a public interest exemption. Public interest concerns matters like energy pricing, the running of local councils, congestion zones, etc. It's not about how often a missing person story appears in the news or the number of sightseers.
1andrew1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2023, 23:23   #34
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post
Speaking to the media dies not give them permission to contact you when they want to
Of course it does.

Quote:
In this context, I can't see that there is a public interest exemption. Public interest concerns matters like energy pricing, the running of local councils, congestion zones, etc. It's not about how often a missing person story appears in the news or the number of sightseers.
You see what you want to see. You cant go making a media fuss and then complain when the media tries to contact you.

Old 20-02-2023, 23:43   #35
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
Of course it does.
You need to make a distinction between what you think is reasonable behaviour and how journalists are obliged to behave via their industry code of practice.

Your opinion, obviously, is yours - you may well think it’s obvious that the family’s prior contact with journalists gives those journalists the right to behave as some of them have over the past 24 hours.

However, in terms of the code of conduct they are held accountable to - it empirically does not.
Old 20-02-2023, 23:51   #36
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Of course it does.

You see what you want to see. You cant go making a media fuss and then complain when the media tries to contact you.
I'm not sure appealing for witnesses to someone's disappearance can be called a fuss!

Nor should appealing for witnesses give the media a 24/7 direct line to you. You don't sell your entire personal rights forever to the media when you do that.
Old 21-02-2023, 00:11   #37
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Not really.

They specifically complained about the media "making contact" with them.
Given that a body had been found [unidentified at the time] then its perfectly reasonable that they would want to speak to them.
That contact was presumably refused, and that was that, since they dont say anyone continued to hassle them, only that they "contacted them".

Yes, its very unfortunate how this ended [and sadly it went as everyone expected] and its terrible for for her children.
However, as far as I'm concerned, the "family" are just lashing out at the media for doing their job, when there really was no need to do so.
[ Not even just the media, they also attack members of the public for "accusing their dad of wrongdoing, misquoted and vilified friends and family" ].
Not sure what thats about, Ive seen this is the news every day for 3 weeks and not seen him accused of anything.

Anyway, I'm not going to spend hours going over this, we can agree to disagree. Thats life.

---------- Post added at 23:11 ---------- Previous post was at 23:10 ----------

Quote:
I'm not sure appealing for witnesses to someone's disappearance can be called a fuss! .
Stick to politics Andrew.

Old 21-02-2023, 00:26   #38
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Stick to politics Andrew.
It's unfair to my fellow forum contributors to limit my contributions to just one area.
Old 21-02-2023, 10:36   #39
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team

Services: VM XL TV,50 MB VM BB,VM landline, Tivo
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDaddy View Post
Stop watching or reading it and as if by magic they will
I don't.I buy no newspapers and I avoid TV news as much as possible apart from watching local TV news(for local news).24 hour news channels are/was a big mistake IMHO.
Old 21-02-2023, 13:24   #40
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

It’s not looking great for ITV or Sky this morning.

The former editor of the Sunday Telegraph, Baroness Wheatcroft, has gone on the Today programme this morning to demand the press regulator look into their conduct. Meanwhile, the former Editor-in-Chief of ITN, Stewart Purvis, believes if ITV and Sky thought they had a decent defence against the allegations of unwarranted intrusion they would have aired it by now.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-englan...shire-64713045
Old 21-02-2023, 14:39   #41
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by heero_yuy View Post
Of course if you're a conspiracy theorist how long has the body actually been in the river?

I guess the autopsy will answer that.
Hopefully it will as, if there was any foul play involved, the person responsible needs to be caught.

If she had mental health problems or had been drinking she may simply have jumped in or her dog might have pulled her in.

An accident as opposed to suicide or foul play would probably provide her family with a crumb of comfort.
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2023, 14:59   #42
Mythica
cf.geek

Mythica has reached the bronze age
Mythica has reached the bronze ageMythica has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Of course it does.

Celebrities using the media to get famous does not give the media the right to hound them in their private life.

Getting the media involved to help in a missing person case does not give the media the right to pester the family.

Last edited by Paul; 21-02-2023 at 23:51. Reason: Utter irrelevance removed
Mythica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2023, 15:32   #43
ianch99
cf.mega poster

ianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze array
ianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze array

I find this whole saga very weird. Totally unhealthy obsession by all sorts of people: news outlets, social media, etc.

I feel so sorry for the family.
Old 21-02-2023, 16:14   #44
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianch99 View Post
I find this whole saga very weird. Totally unhealthy obsession by all sorts of people: news outlets, social media, etc.

I feel so sorry for the family.
I think the case received more attention/interest than other missing persons cases because of the unique circumstances of her dissappearnce.

My heart goes out for her family too.
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2023, 18:13   #45
ianch99
cf.mega poster

ianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze array
ianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze array

Quote:
I feel that this is the essential point here. There are so many missing people and this one gets all this airtime, personal intrusion, etc. So wrong. Feels more like a Victorian freak show ...