Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | What are you reading?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Lifestyle

What are you reading?

Old 20-06-2005, 20:26   #61
dilli-theclaw
R.I.P.

Services: BT
dilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden aura
dilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden aura
Re: What are you reading?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theodoric
Well, some things last. I read that about 40 years ago.
First Ray Bradbury book I've ever read. I got given it to me by my dad - there was another one (who's name escapes me at the moment). I'm going to read that tomorrow.
dilli-theclaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 20-06-2005, 20:30   #62
Theodoric
Inactive

Theodoric has reached the bronze age
Theodoric has reached the bronze ageTheodoric has reached the bronze ageTheodoric has reached the bronze ageTheodoric has reached the bronze ageTheodoric has reached the bronze ageTheodoric has reached the bronze ageTheodoric has reached the bronze ageTheodoric has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilligaf1701
First Ray Bradbury book I've ever read. I got given it to me by my dad - there was another one (who's name escapes me at the moment). I'm going to read that tomorrow.
Off the top of my head there's Fahrenheit 454, The Martian Chronicles and The Illustrated Man.
Theodoric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2005, 20:32   #63
dilli-theclaw
R.I.P.

dilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden aura
dilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theodoric
Off the top of my head there's Fahrenheit 454, The Martian Chronicles and The Illustrated Man.
Well it was none of those - I do know it's another short story one. I'll post it tomorrow when I've read it

'I sing the body electric' - apparenty (I Just called my dad )
Old 20-06-2005, 20:47   #64
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team

Services: VM XL TV,50 MB VM BB,VM landline, Tivo
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura

Ah what happy hours I spent as teenager reading Bradbury.Some of his stories were as creepy or creepier than Roahl Dahl was later.
Old 20-06-2005, 20:49   #65
Scrubbs
cf.mega poster

Services: phone,BB20meg ,telly
Scrubbs has a bronzed appealScrubbs has a bronzed appeal
Scrubbs has a bronzed appealScrubbs has a bronzed appealScrubbs has a bronzed appealScrubbs has a bronzed appealScrubbs has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incognitas
At the moment I need something I can pick up quickly as I to the loo for what seems the 10th time....
I know the feeling....... loperamide from the chemist, ask for non POM(prescription only medicine) and you can get a box of 30 for about £3. I use at least 2 day

I leave my book of the moment in the loo

Old Age And Treachery Will Defeat Youth and Enthusiasm Everytime.
Scrubbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2005, 20:49   #66
dilli-theclaw
R.I.P.

The one I enjoyed within the book I read today was about some women who were doing some embroidery but got wiped out

And the one about the chinese emperor who finds a man who has built a flying machine - but kills him.

MMMmmm - It was a good book anyway.

I'm looking forward to the other one tomorrow.

And I've seen the film farenheit 451 - didn't know it was one of his - I'll have to look out for that now.
Old 20-06-2005, 22:42   #67
shredder
Inactive

shredder has entered a golden reputation erashredder has entered a golden reputation erashredder has entered a golden reputation erashredder has entered a golden reputation erashredder has entered a golden reputation erashredder has entered a golden reputation erashredder has entered a golden reputation erashredder has entered a golden reputation erashredder has entered a golden reputation erashredder has entered a golden reputation erashredder has entered a golden reputation era
Send a message via MSN to shredder

i'm reading the da vinci code at the moment, only two chapters through so far.....
shredder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2005, 20:39   #68
Tezcatlipoca
Inactive

Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars
Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars

"Homicide - A Year on the Killing Streets", by David Simon

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/...880788-8264625

Excellent "true-crime" book, which was the inspiration for the brilliant "Homicide: Life on the Street" US TV cop show.

The book is based on reporter David Simon's experience of following the detectives in Baltimore PD's Homicide Unit for a year. Well worth reading
Tezcatlipoca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2005, 23:10   #69
Angua
10 yrs same company 😁

Services: ? BB, basic phone. Share of Disney+
Angua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny stars
Angua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny stars

Monstrous Regiment by Terry Pratchett.

About a country which lives by the word of the prophet Nuggan who seems to call almost everything an abomination. The ruler is a Duchess who no one has seen for years. The latest recruits into the army all share the same secret but you will have to read the book to find out more. (or watch my sig for a quote).
Angua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2005, 03:15   #70
Graham
Inactive

Graham has a nice shiny star
Graham has a nice shiny starGraham has a nice shiny starGraham has a nice shiny starGraham has a nice shiny starGraham has a nice shiny starGraham has a nice shiny starGraham has a nice shiny starGraham has a nice shiny starGraham has a nice shiny starGraham has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angua
Upon my oath...!

Recently read:

"The Laptop of the Gods" - Peter Chippendale.

The critic quotes say things like "This will appeal to Pratchett and Monty Python fans alike" and "[it] is Terry Pratchett before he became unreadable".

Well it's rather ironic because I don't consider Pratchett to *ever* have become "unreadable" (in fact he's become even *more* readable), whereas this book, for me, definitely *was* unreadable!

I got about 30 pages into it and just gave up which is something pretty rare for me (about the only other book that ever caused that effect was the first Gormenghast book).

The problem is that Peter Chippendale doesn't seem to know when to leave a joke well enough alone and instead labours it on and on, taking what should be a quick one liner and dragging it out into half a page or more of tedious re-workings that's sadly reminiscent of "pun cascade" thread.

There just wasn't anything sufficiently redeeming to make me want to continue reading.

The Excalibur Alternative - David Weber

An English nobleman and his men are on their way to the Battle of Crecy when they are kidnapped by Aliens and taken off to fight for them.

At this point anyone who has read "The High Crusade" by Poul Anderson will be thinking "hold on, haven't I heard this somewhere before", well, yes you have.

Whether it was deliberate or not, there are certainly some very noticable similarities between the stories and whilst the plot ends differently (although not particularly surprisingly), there's a strong sense of deja-vu all the way through.

Still, even if you have read The High Crusade, it's a fairly entertaining and well written book and whiles away a few hours.
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2005, 08:56   #71
Richard M
Inactive

Richard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze array
Richard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angua

About a country which lives by the word of the prophet Nuggan who seems to call almost everything an abomination. The ruler is a Duchess who no one has seen for years. The latest recruits into the army all share the same secret but you will have to read the book to find out more. (or watch my sig for a quote).
I recently read that as well, it's not bad.
Richard M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2005, 09:37   #72
Angua
10 yrs same company 😁

Services: ? BB, basic phone. Share of Disney+
Angua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny stars
Angua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny stars

Has anyone read any of the "Ronan The Barbarian" books by James Bibby?

As funny as TP IMHO but such a shame he only wrote 3 Ronan books and one other (same world though). You can only get the first book second hand now.
Angua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2005, 18:21   #73
dilli-theclaw
R.I.P.

I weakened and bought the da vinci code today (seeing as everyone seems to be going on about it a lot)

I hope it's good.
Old 29-06-2005, 18:24   #74
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team

Services: VM XL TV,50 MB VM BB,VM landline, Tivo
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura

Just finished Simon Greens latest Nightside offering called Hex and the City.Very laconic humour as usual..
Maggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2005, 18:33   #75
Shaun
Inactive

Shaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny star
Shaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny star

Strata by Terry Pratchett, but to be honest I'm finding it rather difficult to get into. not a slick as his newer material. There seems to be a lot of chopping and changing. Good book though
Shaun is offline   Reply With Quote