Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Streaming services news, offers and general chit chat

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Streaming services news, offers and general chit chat

Old 25-02-2024, 21:32   #2326
TimeLord2018
cf.geek

TimeLord2018 is just really niceTimeLord2018 is just really niceTimeLord2018 is just really niceTimeLord2018 is just really niceTimeLord2018 is just really niceTimeLord2018 is just really nice
Re: Streaming services news, offers and general chit chat

As for Paramount they have held discussions with Comcast about a partnership or a joint streaming venture like Sky Showtime.

https://www.broadbandtvnews.com/2024...mcasts-peacock

The only confirmed talks of any company merging was WBD and Paramount although they couldn't really do anything official until 8th April.

Last edited by TimeLord2018; 25-02-2024 at 23:19.
TimeLord2018 is online now   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 25-02-2024, 21:42   #2327
Horizon
Media Watcher

Services: Sky, Cable & Freeview
Horizon has reached the bronze age
Horizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze age

I don't see it happening.

The consensus, if you can call if that, was that the Paramount/Warner announcement was to draw out Comcast, which it did. A lot of pundits believe that Comcast will spin off Warners into NBC Universal and as part of the deal, eliminate the Warners debt.

In the end, I see their ultimate home as being within Microsoft or one of the other tech giants.
Old 26-02-2024, 14:07   #2328
Legendkiller2k
cf.mega poster

Services: Giganet broadband 1gbs, netflix, Peacock,HBOMAX, kodi
Legendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
I don’t know what makes you so sure. It’s up to the broadcasters whether they think it is worthwhile to continue to maintain their scheduled channels.

I think they will view the linear channels to be more trouble than they are worth, but we’ll see.

---------- Post added at 19:43 ---------- Previous post was at 19:39 ----------

That’s why the correct thing to do is to have a free AVOD version of all streamers. People subscribing to an entertainment service do not wish to have advertisements added. Sky is an absolute ripoff for introducing and maintaining this practice. But even Sky might be starting to come around to this view.
I dunno OB maybe the fact that i used to work in that industry before moving on to the gaming industry.
Old 26-02-2024, 20:46   #2329
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
That’s why the correct thing to do is to have a free AVOD version of all streamers. People subscribing to an entertainment service do not wish to have advertisements added. Sky is an absolute ripoff for introducing and maintaining this practice. But even Sky might be starting to come around to this view.
Why would Sky have a free streaming service of content but have adverts on the linear channels AND charge subscribers for that content too?

What you might get is a Sky Mix catch-up service with older content on it to compete with the likes of Amazon's Freevee and UKTV. But not premium content like True Detective or Game of Thrones yet. That's reserved for subscribers.
1andrew1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-02-2024, 20:59   #2330
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeLord2018 View Post
As for Paramount they have held discussions with Comcast about a partnership or a joint streaming venture like Sky Showtime.

https://www.broadbandtvnews.com/2024...mcasts-peacock

The only confirmed talks of any company merging was WBD and Paramount although they couldn't really do anything official until 8th April.
The money seems to be on Skydance Media buying Paramount but that doesn't preclude a separate streaming collaboration with Comcast.
Old 29-02-2024, 21:21   #2331
TimeLord2018
cf.geek

TimeLord2018 is just really niceTimeLord2018 is just really niceTimeLord2018 is just really niceTimeLord2018 is just really niceTimeLord2018 is just really niceTimeLord2018 is just really nice

Skydance does look like the most likely now.
https://www.cnbc.com/2024/02/27/warn...ger-talks.html

Last edited by TimeLord2018; 29-02-2024 at 21:29.
Old 01-03-2024, 21:46   #2332
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

BBC acquires rest of Britbox International from ITV for £255m.
https://www.msn.com/en-gb/money/othe...al/ar-BB1j9D1H
Old 01-03-2024, 22:21   #2333
TimeLord2018
cf.geek

FOX Corp free ad supported streamer 'Tubi' set to launch In the UK this summer
https://variety.com/2024/digital/new...id-1235923354/

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post
BBC acquires rest of Britbox International from ITV for £255m.
https://www.msn.com/en-gb/money/othe...al/ar-BB1j9D1H
Biggest ever single transaction BBC Studios has ever made apparently.

---------- Post added at 22:21 ---------- Previous post was at 22:13 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post
An episode being postponed due to a global situation (eg plane crash) is understandable. And streamers culling content is not new. But this is pretty unprecedented with no warnings and with a series (Accused) being dropped mid series. As Geek Town commented:

https://www.geektown.co.uk/2024/02/0...-paramount-uk/
Interestingly enough, it reappeared today with all 15 episodes.

Last edited by TimeLord2018; 01-03-2024 at 22:18.
Old 02-03-2024, 00:35   #2334
Horizon
Media Watcher

Services: Sky, Cable & Freeview
Horizon has reached the bronze age
Horizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeLord2018 View Post
FOX Corp free ad supported streamer 'Tubi' set to launch In the UK this summer
https://variety.com/2024/digital/new...id-1235923354/
So much for there being less streamers with the anticipated consolidation of the media companies.

How can they all survive and more to the point, with the ad revenues going to these American streamers, what's left for our broadcasters?
Old 02-03-2024, 03:52   #2335
epsilon
cf.geek

epsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horizon View Post
So much for there being less streamers with the anticipated consolidation of the media companies.

How can they all survive and more to the point, with the ad revenues going to these American streamers, what's left for our broadcasters?
Just another Pluto / Plex / Rakuten etc clone, possibly with many of the same FAST channels.
epsilon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2024, 19:35   #2336
buckeye
cf.addict

buckeye is just really nicebuckeye is just really nicebuckeye is just really nicebuckeye is just really nicebuckeye is just really nicebuckeye is just really nice

I've probably been slow on seeing this but whilst sorting out my Now TV subscriptions today and for anyone not aware I noticed that they are offering Sky Sports for £21 a month for 12 months with no minimum term contract.
This seems a pretty good offer to me, especially as Now has all red button sports content finally.
Comcast's takeover of Sky seems to be a good thing so far, the service now works perfectly after many years of bugs and glitches under the previous ownership and the prices have gone down,
I now get Sports, Entertainment, Cinema and Boost for £30 a month, (with Boost I could share the costs with others hint hint).
Imho this is the best streaming deal in the country apart from the fiver I pay on top of my EE phone bill to get TNT Sports and Discovery Plus.
I am no fanboy and others may disagree but I feel Now and other British streaming services to a lesser extent are shaming the sharp practices of the US streamers.
buckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2024, 19:52   #2337
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeye View Post
I am no fanboy and others may disagree but I feel Now and other British streaming services to a lesser extent are shaming the sharp practices of the US streamers.
I only have entertainment from Now as get Sky premiums through Virgin but it has always intrigued me that some of the more evangelical streamers would prefer an American big tech firm or someone else to get major UK sports rights.

Now is a bargain for what it is.
jfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2024, 08:42   #2338
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
I only have entertainment from Now as get Sky premiums through Virgin but it has always intrigued me that some of the more evangelical streamers would prefer an American big tech firm or someone else to get major UK sports rights.

Now is a bargain for what it is.
I agree. I’m now getting the entertainment pack for £3.99pm.
Old 04-03-2024, 14:56   #2339
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeye View Post
I've probably been slow on seeing this but whilst sorting out my Now TV subscriptions today and for anyone not aware I noticed that they are offering Sky Sports for £21 a month for 12 months with no minimum term contract.
This seems a pretty good offer to me, especially as Now has all red button sports content finally.
Comcast's takeover of Sky seems to be a good thing so far, the service now works perfectly after many years of bugs and glitches under the previous ownership and the prices have gone down,
I now get Sports, Entertainment, Cinema and Boost for £30 a month, (with Boost I could share the costs with others hint hint).
Imho this is the best streaming deal in the country apart from the fiver I pay on top of my EE phone bill to get TNT Sports and Discovery Plus.
I now have Entertainment at £3.99 , Sports at £17.99 and Boost at £2.

£23.98 for those is excellent value in my opinion.
muppetman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2024, 15:55   #2340
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
I now have Entertainment at £3.99 , Sports at £17.99 and Boost at £2.

£23.98 for those is excellent value in my opinion.
Careful. Comcast might be reading this!